Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-18-2019, 11:24 AM   #1
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 100
Ems need water proofing?

Hey guys, just bought a used Progressive Industries EMS. I was just wondering if I need to cover it when it rains? It is a portable unit. Thanks.
__________________

shadows4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2019, 11:39 AM   #2
Senior Member
 
dbledan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: KS
Posts: 1,363
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadows4 View Post
Hey guys, just bought a used Progressive Industries EMS. I was just wondering if I need to cover it when it rains? It is a portable unit. Thanks.
If hung vertical you dont have to supposedly as there are drains but being electricity I cover mine. Only takes a spider inside to plug drain holes and zap.

Either a 5gal bucket on the pole or I put it in/under a tote on the ground. Prevents theft a bit too out of site out of mind. Ended up cutting up a toolbox from habor freight to store mine in and keep connections dry.
__________________

dbledan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2019, 12:08 PM   #3
Senior Member
 
jeff64's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: N. Illinois
Posts: 1,341
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbledan View Post
If hung vertical you dont have to supposedly as there are drains but being electricity I cover mine. Only takes a spider inside to plug drain holes and zap.

Either a 5gal bucket on the pole or I put it in/under a tote on the ground. Prevents theft a bit too out of site out of mind. Ended up cutting up a toolbox from habor freight to store mine in and keep connections dry.
I cover the post and EMS with a 30 gal trash bag and take up the slack with a large binder clip. Outtakes sight and out of the elements.
__________________
2016 Flagstaff 27VRL Emerald
14K Equalizer
2014 GMC 2500HD CC 4X4 6.0L
jeff64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2019, 12:11 PM   #4
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Location: TEXAS
Posts: 1,188
A light rain.... we don't worry about it.
A downpour....we put something over it. Since no two campsites are alike, we usually find something to put over the pole. A bucket or a tote usually works. We don't cover it completely.
__________________
Happy Camping!

2015 Dynamax REV 24TB class C
2nd rig 2006 Toyota Tundra &
2010 Cikira 21RB 19' travel trailer
Reverse_snowbird is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2019, 02:27 PM   #5
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Posts: 173
First of all, good on you for buying it! I wouldn't be without mine. Yes, I keep mine covered, but just to be safe.
__________________
2018 Rockwood Signature Ultra Lite 8311WS
Chazman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2019, 02:29 PM   #6
Senior Member
 
BandJCarm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Between Pickles Gap and Toad Suck, AR
Posts: 5,433
Mine laid on the ground under Lake Infield at our first FROG, for about 5 days. It still works. I do know others who have had them go completely out due to water getting inside.



If mine hangs down, like it does at most places, it's fine,
__________________
"Next to prayer, fishing is the most personal relationship of man" Herbert Hoover
"American by Birth, Southern by the Grace of God"Lewis Grizzard

FROG AR-0019-242
2016 GMC Denali 3500Dually--2017 CC 36CKTS
BandJCarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2019, 04:41 PM   #7
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Warsaw,NC
Posts: 7,184
Quote:
Originally Posted by BandJCarm View Post
Mine laid on the ground under Lake Infield at our first FROG, for about 5 days. It still works. I do know others who have had them go completely out due to water getting inside.



If mine hangs down, like it does at most places, it's fine,


Had a problem with my PI EMS the other day, EMS tripping out, I called the factory it seems the light in the pedestal was the problem. I heard you had the same problem.
spock123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2019, 04:50 PM   #8
Senior Member
 
BandJCarm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Between Pickles Gap and Toad Suck, AR
Posts: 5,433
Eaton power pedestals have a light that comes on via sensor at dusk. If it's not really grounded well, the EMS (some of them) will register a E6 High Frequency error and shut down for a few seconds.......then cycle on after 2 minutes 41 seconds.


I just taped over the sensor so light was on all the time.
__________________
"Next to prayer, fishing is the most personal relationship of man" Herbert Hoover
"American by Birth, Southern by the Grace of God"Lewis Grizzard

FROG AR-0019-242
2016 GMC Denali 3500Dually--2017 CC 36CKTS
BandJCarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2019, 09:55 AM   #9
Senior Member
 
GLBCamper's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2017
Location: Bend, OR
Posts: 118
Quote:
Originally Posted by BandJCarm View Post
Eaton power pedestals have a light that comes on via sensor at dusk. If it's not really grounded well, the EMS (some of them) will register a E6 High Frequency error and shut down for a few seconds.......then cycle on after 2 minutes 41 seconds.


I just taped over the sensor so light was on all the time.

This explains so much! I was having the opposite problem. Mine was cycling off early morning (I now realize likely dawn) if I remember right it was even the Low Frequency error.

I was a bit mystified since it was at multiple state parks and I couldnít figure out why so many parks had electrical issues. Oregon State Parks use the ďnon-metallic Midwest ParkMateĒ. But I suspect itís the same issue.

The problem is that my microwave beeped on restart and would wake us up so Iíve taken to unplugging it before bedtime.
__________________
2016 EVO (Sonoma) ATS 201rd 24í TT
2016 F150 4x4 Sport
GLBCamper is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2019, 03:15 PM   #10
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Warsaw,NC
Posts: 7,184
This is what Iím going to do, I plan to hang my EMS in my basement. I plan to cut my 50amp camper cable from where it plugs into the camper. I have a 15ft 50amp cable coming from amazon. I plan to cut the male end off that cable and splice those two cables together. Then I plan to splice the female end of the 15ft cable to my original 30ft cable. Iíll take pictures of everything. That way my portable EMS will be away from the pedestal and away from a high or low frequency. Plus out of the weather. Anyway thatís the plan
__________________

spock123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
roo, roof, water

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by


Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Forest River, Inc. or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.




Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:03 PM.