Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-18-2019, 11:24 AM   #1

Ems need water proofing?

Hey guys, just bought a used Progressive Industries EMS. I was just wondering if I need to cover it when it rains? It is a portable unit. Thanks.
shadows4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2019, 11:39 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadows4 View Post
Hey guys, just bought a used Progressive Industries EMS. I was just wondering if I need to cover it when it rains? It is a portable unit. Thanks.
If hung vertical you dont have to supposedly as there are drains but being electricity I cover mine. Only takes a spider inside to plug drain holes and zap.

Either a 5gal bucket on the pole or I put it in/under a tote on the ground. Prevents theft a bit too out of site out of mind. Ended up cutting up a toolbox from habor freight to store mine in and keep connections dry.
dbledan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2019, 12:08 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbledan View Post
If hung vertical you dont have to supposedly as there are drains but being electricity I cover mine. Only takes a spider inside to plug drain holes and zap.

Either a 5gal bucket on the pole or I put it in/under a tote on the ground. Prevents theft a bit too out of site out of mind. Ended up cutting up a toolbox from habor freight to store mine in and keep connections dry.
I cover the post and EMS with a 30 gal trash bag and take up the slack with a large binder clip. Outtakes sight and out of the elements.
jeff64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2019, 12:11 PM   #4

A light rain.... we don't worry about it.
A downpour....we put something over it. Since no two campsites are alike, we usually find something to put over the pole. A bucket or a tote usually works. We don't cover it completely.
Old 05-19-2019, 02:27 PM   #5

First of all, good on you for buying it! I wouldn't be without mine. Yes, I keep mine covered, but just to be safe.

2018 GMC Sierra 2500HD SLT Duramax
Chazman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2019, 02:29 PM   #6

Mine laid on the ground under Lake Infield at our first FROG, for about 5 days. It still works. I do know others who have had them go completely out due to water getting inside.

If mine hangs down, like it does at most places, it's fine,

FROG AR-0019-242
2016 GMC Denali 3500Dually--2017 CC 36CKTS
BandJCarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2019, 04:41 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by BandJCarm View Post
Mine laid on the ground under Lake Infield at our first FROG, for about 5 days. It still works. I do know others who have had them go completely out due to water getting inside.

If mine hangs down, like it does at most places, it's fine,

Had a problem with my PI EMS the other day, EMS tripping out, I called the factory it seems the light in the pedestal was the problem. I heard you had the same problem.
spock123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2019, 04:50 PM   #8

Eaton power pedestals have a light that comes on via sensor at dusk. If it's not really grounded well, the EMS (some of them) will register a E6 High Frequency error and shut down for a few seconds.......then cycle on after 2 minutes 41 seconds.

I just taped over the sensor so light was on all the time.

FROG AR-0019-242
Old 05-20-2019, 09:55 AM   #9

Quote:
Eaton power pedestals have a light that comes on via sensor at dusk. If it's not really grounded well, the EMS (some of them) will register a E6 High Frequency error and shut down for a few seconds.......then cycle on after 2 minutes 41 seconds.

I just taped over the sensor so light was on all the time.

This explains so much! I was having the opposite problem. Mine was cycling off early morning (I now realize likely dawn) if I remember right it was even the Low Frequency error.

I was a bit mystified since it was at multiple state parks and I couldn’t figure out why so many parks had electrical issues. Oregon State Parks use the “non-metallic Midwest ParkMate”. But I suspect it’s the same issue.

The problem is that my microwave beeped on restart and would wake us up so I’ve taken to unplugging it before bedtime.
Old 05-22-2019, 03:15 PM   #10

This is what I’m going to do, I plan to hang my EMS in my basement. I plan to cut my 50amp camper cable from where it plugs into the camper. I have a 15ft 50amp cable coming from amazon. I plan to cut the male end off that cable and splice those two cables together. Then I plan to splice the female end of the 15ft cable to my original 30ft cable. I’ll take pictures of everything. That way my portable EMS will be away from the pedestal and away from a high or low frequency. Plus out of the weather. Anyway that’s the plan
Old 05-27-2019, 08:02 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadows4 View Post

Two weeks ago today, we were setting up and the portable PI EMS (30 amp) would not function. Called PI, and they immediately identified the problem: Seems it had taken on water from heavy rains on the previous camp trip. The EMS has a lifetime warranty, we just had to submit a written request via email and provide a copy of the receipt. We are waiting for a new one.
PI told us they have recently fortified the seals to circumvent this problem in the future. Even so, I think we will use either a large trash bag or a bucket in heavy rains from now on.

Happy Camping!
flosmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2019, 08:11 PM   #12

This is why I bought a hardwired model.
babock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2019, 08:21 PM   #13

Their warranty folks are very reasonable. Copy of proof of purchase along with pictures showing both ends of undamaged plug-ins and description of problem. Very accommodating. If it’s been modified I’m not sure if that’s warranty material or not. We cover ours if it’s raining/snowing or forecasted just as extra insurance. Some pedestals are so low that the ems is nearly laying on the ground and I can see issues from that.
Old 05-27-2019, 08:26 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by spock123 View Post
This is what I’m going to do, I plan to hang my EMS in my basement. I plan to cut my 50amp camper cable from where it plugs into the camper. I have a 15ft 50amp cable coming from amazon. I plan to cut the male end off that cable and splice those two cables together. Then I plan to splice the female end of the 15ft cable to my original 30ft cable. I’ll take pictures of everything. That way my portable EMS will be away from the pedestal and away from a high or low frequency. Plus out of the weather. Anyway that’s the plan
I just finished doing about the same thing with the 30 amp version. Nice thing is if I get a different rig I just move the plug from the EMS and keep it.

Old 05-27-2019, 10:28 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by emm-dee View Post
I just finished doing about the same thing with the 30 amp version. Nice thing is if I get a different rig I just move the plug from the EMS and keep it.

Looks great. Thanks for the picture. I plan on keeping mine portable just install in the water closet. There is no way DW will let me do anything electrical
Old 05-29-2019, 12:48 PM   #16

Ems need water proofing?

Well I got my cables spliced and it all worked, one little problem. My 50 amp male and female ends were to big to fit through the hole in my water closet. So I’ll cut the ends off and install smaller connectors. I found the connections on Amazon.
Old 05-29-2019, 01:05 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by emm-dee View Post

Where did you get the female connector (not the silver junction box but the thing the EMS is plugged into)?
Old 05-29-2019, 02:22 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by GLBCamper View Post
Where did you get the female connector (not the silver junction box but the thing the EMS is plugged into)?
Available at most hardware stores, but for those of us too lazy to drive to those stores,

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

And

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Old 05-29-2019, 02:27 PM   #19

There are pros and cons to both installations.

Hardwired, or put inside, is out of the weather......and yes, some units have had water intrusion issues. But the Con is that should it do it's ULTIMATE job, you have a harder time replacing it.

Portable, it's easy to replace, but in the weather. (Note: The common worry that portables will be stolen turns out to be a red herring. I have never heard of a theft).

FROG AR-0019-242
Old 05-29-2019, 02:35 PM   #20

Quote:
There are pros and cons to both installations.

Hardwired, or put inside, is out of the weather......and yes, some units have had water intrusion issues. But the Con is that should it do it's ULTIMATE job, you have a harder time replacing it.

Portable, it's easy to replace, but in the weather. (Note: The common worry that portables will be stolen turns out to be a red herring. I have never heard of a theft).
True that, but usually if it “does its job” then all that’s required is to remove the external power source and it resets.

Tags
roo, roof, water