Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-26-2015, 02:36 PM   #1

Encore/Thousand Trails opinions

DH and I are considering a month or two in Florida next year possibly end of Jan into Feb - knowing these all book fast and so far in advance , we are starting our search now

Looking online we have found alot of adult resorts 55 and older that we do not qualify for yet....we have been adults for over 35 years ourselves!!

However, we have seen many that reference these two memberships - wondering how these work, annual fees, extra costs etc???

Can we buy each of us a membership and use each of our two week limits in sequence to eliminate having to move for seven days?

Any info will be helpful as well as any recommendations for the Punta Gorda area - we have a 35ft fiver with three slides and a spoiled rotten chocolate lab who loves camping too!
heavynlori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2015, 03:17 PM   #2
Always Learning

You cannot buy 2 memberships and use them back to back. There are specific mentions of this in the contract that says it is disallowed.
Old 03-26-2015, 03:22 PM   #3
Always Learning

The annual fees depend on what kind of membership that you buy. Figuring you'd buy a simple zone pass for the southeast region, you would have about $500/year dues. For that $500/year, you get up to 30 nights of camping included. Some parks (and some locations within some parks- it's up to the specific TT location) can charge extra if you're on a 50-amp site (even if you don't use it). This 50-amp charge is usually $3-5/day.

After your allotted 30-nights per year, you then are charged $3 (I think, maybe it has gone up to $5) per night for a night of camping.

As you said, the membership is up to 2 weeks in/1 week out. You can go to Encore parks and get a discount usually. Be aware that this 1 week out hits as soon as you've been at a park for more than 4 nights. This caught me up last summer as we tried to go park to park during some of our travels.

I can't help recommend any specific parks in that area outside of the Orlando park (in Clermont, FL) and the Lake Magic Encore park. They're the only TT/Encore parks that I've stayed at in Florida.
Old 03-26-2015, 03:24 PM   #4
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by heavynlori View Post
DH and I are considering a month or two in Florida next year possibly end of Jan into Feb - knowing these all book fast and so far in advance , we are starting our search now

Looking online we have found alot of adult resorts 55 and older that we do not qualify for yet....we have been adults for over 35 years ourselves!!

However, we have seen many that reference these two memberships - wondering how these work, annual fees, extra costs etc???

Can we buy each of us a membership and use each of our two week limits in sequence to eliminate having to move for seven days?

Any info will be helpful as well as any recommendations for the Punta Gorda area - we have a 35ft fiver with three slides and a spoiled rotten chocolate lab who loves camping too!
You can google for TT memberships but you cannot use 2 memberships to bypass the 2 in 1 out requirement during peak seasons. Our yearly dues are frozen @ $526/yr. We have the Lifetime membership which is no longer available, but you can buy one from an individual and pay a transfer fee of around $750 IIRC.
http://www.rvonline.com/campgrounds/camplocate.html

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_odkw...Text=&_sacat=0
Old 03-26-2015, 04:16 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by ependydad View Post
The annual fees depend on what kind of membership that you buy. Figuring you'd buy a simple zone pass for the southeast region, you would have about $500/year dues. For that $500/year, you get up to 30 nights of camping included. Some parks (and some locations within some parks- it's up to the specific TT location) can charge extra if you're on a 50-amp site (even if you don't use it). This 50-amp charge is usually $3-5/day.

After your allotted 30-nights per year, you then are charged $3 (I think, maybe it has gone up to $5) per night for a night of camping.

As you said, the membership is up to 2 weeks in/1 week out. You can go to Encore parks and get a discount usually. Be aware that this 1 week out hits as soon as you've been at a park for more than 4 nights. This caught me up last summer as we tried to go park to park during some of our travels.

I can't help recommend any specific parks in that area outside of the Orlando park (in Clermont, FL) and the Lake Magic Encore park. They're the only TT/Encore parks that I've stayed at in Florida.

Please clarify that 4 night thing..,,
Old 03-26-2015, 04:19 PM   #6

You cant stay two weeks at one then go to another for two weeks without having a seven day gap in between??
Old 03-26-2015, 04:23 PM   #7
Mod free 5er

Quote:
You cant stay two weeks at one then go to another for two weeks without having a seven day gap in between??
Depends on the membership you buy. 2 weeks park to park IIRC is for Gold, Platinum & Diamond memberships. Normally during NON PEAK seasons, it is 3 week park to park or 3 weeks in 1 week out in the same park.
Old 03-26-2015, 04:27 PM   #8
Always Learning

Quote:
Please clarify that 4 night thing..,,
Quote:
Depending on what membership you have, that can be correct. If you just go to RV Resorts in the US | RV Parks & RV Campgrounds | Thousand Trails RV Resorts and sign up for their "zone pass" membership, it is correct. However, if you have an older membership or one that was upgraded to an "Elite" membership (or the colors that OldCoot mentioned- they've changed names), you can go to parks back to back (e.g. go to one and immediately go to another).

The 4 night thing is essentially re-stating the same as above. For many memberships, if you have to be out for a week; that rule is triggered after you've been at a park for 4 or more nights. Essentially nights 4-14 require you to be out for a week. Nights 1-3, you can go back and forth between parks.

Taking today as the example:
  • Night 1, 3/26-3/27 - you're camped at campground 1 (on 3/27, you could go to another park)
  • Night 2, 3/27-3/28 - you're still camped at campground 1 (on 3/28, you could go to another park)
  • Night 3, 3/28-3/29 - you're still camped at campground 1 (on 3/29, you could go to another park)
  • Night 4, 3/29-3/30 - you're still camped at campground 1 (on 3/30, you would have to leave TT parks entirely for a week before you can go to another park)
Old 03-26-2015, 07:51 PM   #9

I spent time in the Peace River Thousand Trails and the Clermont locations last month.
We enjoyed both places but neither are up to today's better park standards. Many of the Peace River sites were flooded and muddy...and electric service was 30 amp and no full hooks in much of the park. There were 3 showers and stalls for 300+ campsites and the pool heater was broken the entire week we were there. Wifi only up at the office. With all the negatives...we had a great time because of the people and activities as this is a very active place and canoeing down the Peace River was a blast. We would go back again but with more realistic expectations. Orlando//Clermont was a slightly nicer park but less to do on site.
I would value each place at $25-30 bucks a nite in peak FL rates compared to the private parks we stayed at. It is pretty easy to get your money's worth in season but first come, first served site choice, and less then top notch infrastructure is a turnoff.
SUN Resorts this winter had FIRST TIME visitor rates of $200 a week or less at many of their campgrounds in FL....these are first rate operations & I know they had monthly deals as well but many are booked by returnees so even big parks have few vacancies in season. There are a number of them near Punta Gorda.
Finally... we used Passport America memberships 50% off parks a lot for short stays as we travelled. Quality can be spotty OR great...do your research as a good price often is not a great deal...but that IS one membership I paid for VERY quickly and happily.
Good luck!
2019 Vespa Primavera 150's (pair)
camaraderie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2015, 08:01 PM   #10
Mod free 5er

camaraderie, that is exactly why we are seriously thinking about selling our TT membership. We bought a lease/title in Fawn Ridge @ Deer Creek in Davenport, FL that has level concrete sites with concrete patios and is gated for $436/year with the same 2 in, 1 out and the option to buy in the 1 week out for $125/week. The park is very well kept and friendly. Not much for kids, swimming pool, tennis court. All buildings are locked and members only have keys. Laundry facilities and everything is cleaned 2 x daily.
Old 03-26-2015, 08:09 PM   #11

Coot...we got ours for free with the coach for a year. I don't intend to pay for another which is kind of sad cause I would be willing if it were a decent value for ME. The 2 Florida parks were the best ones I've been in,,,
Sounds like you've got a good arrangement!
2019 Vespa Primavera 150's (pair)
camaraderie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2015, 08:20 PM   #12
Mod free 5er

We bought our membership in 2006 when I retired and the parks were in much better shape. We've been to quite a few and all the repeat visits show a marked decline in upkeep in just 9 years. In fact our home park is so bad we haven't been there in 2 years(may take a ride up and look it over this summer). TT/Encore claim they are spending millions upgrading parks every year, but we sure haven't seen it anyplace east of the Mississippi.

Orlando is a prime example of how bad it's getting. Water system goes out practically weekly and boil water is necessary, power goes out and all they do is smear some paint on some buildings. Sites are not level, roads are nothing but pot holes, lighting is practically non existent and they won't even replace the bulbs and the list goes on and on.
Old 03-26-2015, 08:30 PM   #13
Left Coast

Send a message via Yahoo to bob caldwell
Come on out here. Just don't stay!!...
bob caldwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2015, 08:53 PM   #14
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob caldwell View Post
Come on out here. Just don't stay!!...
Don't worry about us coming to the west coast. Been there, done that, don't want to repeat. Coeur d'Alene, maybe.
Old 03-26-2015, 09:02 PM   #15
Left Coast

Send a message via Yahoo to bob caldwell
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCoot View Post
Don't worry about us coming to the west coast. Been there, done that, don't want to repeat. Coeur d'Alene, maybe.
YOU EAST COAST GUYS JUST LIKE TO SWEAT
bob caldwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2015, 09:27 PM   #16
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob caldwell View Post
YOU EAST COAST GUYS JUST LIKE TO SWEAT
Spent several weeks each of 3 years at Jacklin Seed Co, Post Falls, ID and we perspired profusely.
Old 03-26-2015, 11:09 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by ependydad View Post
Depending on what membership you have, that can be correct. If you just go to RV Resorts in the US | RV Parks & RV Campgrounds | Thousand Trails RV Resorts and sign up for their "zone pass" membership, it is correct. However, if you have an older membership or one that was upgraded to an "Elite" membership (or the colors that OldCoot mentioned- they've changed names), you can go to parks back to back (e.g. go to one and immediately go to another).

The 4 night thing is essentially re-stating the same as above. For many memberships, if you have to be out for a week; that rule is triggered after you've been at a park for 4 or more nights. Essentially nights 4-14 require you to be out for a week. Nights 1-3, you can go back and forth between parks.

Taking today as the example:
  • Night 1, 3/26-3/27 - you're camped at campground 1 (on 3/27, you could go to another park)
  • Night 2, 3/27-3/28 - you're still camped at campground 1 (on 3/28, you could go to another park)
  • Night 3, 3/28-3/29 - you're still camped at campground 1 (on 3/29, you could go to another park)
  • Night 4, 3/29-3/30 - you're still camped at campground 1 (on 3/30, you would have to leave TT parks entirely for a week before you can go to another park)

Our Zone membership allows us to stay at one preserve for upto 4 nights.

Here is the breakdown of the ZONE PASS benefits:
- 1st 30 nights are free.
- Just $3 per night from 31st night and beyond with unlimited usage.
- No "Black Out" dates, welcome to use Holidays and weekends. Please use discretion for Holidays and special events, please book in advance.
- Can book up to 60 days in advance.
- Can do up to 14 nights in, then 7 nights out of the system. Can do “back-to-back” reservations if you stay 4 nights or less.
- You're allowed 10 people, 1 RV, 2 tents, 2 cars, 4 pets per campsite.
- Daily passes to all Thousand Trails parks nationwide.
- Discounts on rental units at Thousand Trails campgrounds
- *BONUS* Discounts at our Encore Properties nationwide of 10% off Monthly, 20% off Daily (unless a more advantageous promo happens to be running, check your Trail Blazer subscription).
*Thousand Trails Website* RV Resorts in the US | RV Parks & RV Campgrounds | Thousand Trails RV Resorts
*Encore Website* RV Camp Sites in the U.S. | American RV Camping Grounds | RVontheGO

2011 2902ss Rockwood Ultralight
2008 Grand Cherokee 3.0L Diesel (255 hp @ 2900 rpm / 430 lb-ft @ 1,400-2,800 rpm)
3P ProPride Hitch
RV Mods
Wandering RV Life
WestCoastRV'er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2015, 11:11 PM   #18
Always Learning

Thanks for clarifying, I wasn't sure if it was up to 4 or less than 4. I'm betting mine is the same.

One thing that they gloss over- you can only have 1 holiday reservation active at a time. Meaning, if you're camping at a TT park for Memorial Day, you have to wait until that weekend is over (or something) before you can make a reservation for July 4.
Old 03-26-2015, 11:48 PM   #19

Send a message via MSN to GreenImp
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestCoastRV'er View Post
- Can book up to 60 days in advance.

This one rule really irked me....as a non-member, I was able to reserve 6 months out. After paying dues to become a member, I can now only reserve 2 months out. Anyway...I point this out because if it's really that busy down there in Florida that time of year, this MAY become an issue.
Dad's old 1968 Empi Imp (recently recovered from under 21 years worth of boxes/dust)
GreenImp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2015, 10:09 AM   #20

My membership allows me to make a reservation 120 days in advance. But I was dismayed that Thousand Trails, Hershey is almost booked up in advance for the Hershey RV show.
cgotto1204 is offline   Reply With Quote