Old 01-24-2011, 06:54 PM   #11
I always kept a spray can of white lithium grease in the storage compartment and gave the L brackets a shot before each hook up.

Jason and Billie
2005 Dodge Ram 2500, 4X4, QC/SB 5.9L Cummins
15k non-sliding Hidden Hitch (they lied, it's not hidden at all)
2011 Prime Time Crusader 320RLT
"PT Crew Member Since 11/2010"
M109Rrider is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 06:58 PM   #12
Where should we go next!
Originally Posted by grhodes50 View Post
It's normal for the Equal-i-zer to make noise, especialy when new. Make sure you lube the tops and bottoms of the sockets located on the hitch where you insert your tension bars. You can also lightly coat the L brackets using a light weight oil. And these Sway Bracket Jackets may help as well;
Sway Bracket Jacket (pair) - RV Parts

Hope this helps.
This is exactly what I do. You have to especially get the bottom of the the square bracket that holds the tension bar with lube. I spray a little PB Blaster before we head out on all points where there is movement of metal on metal. I literally don't get any real noticeable squeaks anymore after doing this. I like to put the tension bars in their sockets and then spray the tops and bottoms of the square sockets. I then swivel them back and forth a couple of times to get the lube in there good. No more squeaks. You will still get the occasional "POP" , but that's normal.

I learned this the hard way though. It was about the third time that we took the camper out and the paint wore away good on the square tension bar sockets that it started doing this . We were driving through down town Getteysburg, PA. when it just let loose. I have to admit it kind of sounded like a freight train car with bad wheels. No exaggerating! It was crowded with people and they were all turning their heads at us. It was a little embarrassing.

I use PB Blaster( PB Blaster, 11 OZ, Penetrating Catalyst, Penetrates, Lubricates, Preve) because it will pull itself into crevices. You can read about it online.

I spray a little every time before we hook up. Problem solved.

Ford F-150 4X4 Supercrew Ecoboost
Surveyor SV291
Equalizer 4-point 10K lbs.
Offagain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 02:07 PM   #13
Send a message via MSN to hunt4240dw
I put synthetic brake lube on just the top of the square socket bar receiver once a year. This was where I was getting most of noise from when driving through camps. It does not seem to affect the sway control while on the road. Also, do not forget to lube the top of the hitch ball.

The Hunts
2012 F150 Ecoboost, 3.55, tow package
Equal-i-zer Hitch
2009 Flagstaff V-Lite 30WRLS
1982 16' Glastron Ski boat
hunt4240dw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 11:34 PM   #14
Retired FF
Originally Posted by frankm View Post
If you have the old style L bracket
Attachment 4296
then according to the manual
the set screw should only be tightened until it holds the L-bracket in place so it would (should?) wobble.
I have the new style bracket. It just wasn't tight enough and moved around. Once I made sure it was tightened properly, nary a problem since.

2008 Salem LE 27RB -- 2010 Ram 2500 crew cab 6.7L Hummin Cummins
wrogers is offline   Reply With Quote