Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-05-2016, 10:22 PM   #1

Error 1 on Zone 2 AC

Hi, it's late, we're HOT and are receiving an Error 1 on Zone 2 AC. Have read the manual and did what it said and no luck. We have a BRAND new 2016 Sandpiper that's been used ONCE. Very frustrating and hoping that someone here has a useful tip/fix for this problem. Of course we're out of town with no motels close by. Help please!!!!
dirwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2016, 11:26 PM   #2

i think error 1 is fail to communicate between T-stat and the control board in the ac . check the connection behind the T-stat and check the connections at the control board in the AC just pull the filter panel off . could just be a bad connection , bad T-stat or bad control board . then you may want to power down . do a reset of the t-stat . see if that helps if not at least it kept your mind off the heat for awhile
northstar1960 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2016, 11:31 PM   #3
Blog: RVroadtripper.com

Make sure the furnace and/or A/C is off. Press the “+” button and, while holding it, also press and hold the On/Off Mode button for three seconds. LCD will show “― ― “. Press the On/Off Mode button again to turn system off. This completes the initialization.
Wait 2 minutes and restart. If you have the propane issue below then don't do the restart until after you address the propane fix.

By the way, if you recently took a propane tank offline you may have a pressure lockout that's making the furnace issue the E1. Turn both tanks off, wait a few mins then turn them both on. Light a stove burner to make sure air is out then turn burner off.
Maxxis 235/80/16E; AirBags w/AirLift1; mor/Ryde Rubber Pinbox; Andersen UltimateII Alum. 5erhitch on Reese Flipball w/Curt 4" offset; LCI Ground Control3; King Dishtailgater; Traveling with 10' Portabote;
hbillsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2016, 07:54 AM   #4

Thank you

Thank you NorthStar 1960 - we will try this now. And yes, trying anything at this point kept our mind off the heat.

Thank you Hbillsmith - We did try the + and On/Off and that didn't work. Actually after we completed this step we lost Zone 2 all together.

As of this morning, the inside trailer temp is 64 degrees - FREEZING after having ran the one AC unit all night. However, as the temps go up to 101 today I'm sure it will get warm. We are calling the dealer this morning and I will post the update. I can't believe a BRAND NEW trailer bought in April, used one time in April and has sat in the driveway since then has an issue. All of our camping trips were cancelled due to the flooding. 2nd time out and this - UGH!!!! Anyway, rant over and I will let you know what the dealer says/does to fix the issue. Thank you both for your replies!!!!!
dirwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2016, 01:22 PM   #5

The thermostat does not have communications to the control board on the AC. When you reset the thermostat you lost zone 2 because of the this. I had the same problem on mine, only I had to pull the cover off the AC to reset the connector on the AC unit. Luckly for me that was my problem. Hope your as lucky
denville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2016, 04:16 PM   #6

Same thing happened to me

My new Sierra did the same thing and turned out my thermostat was bad.

Good luck!

Who Dat
Who Dat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2016, 05:34 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by denville View Post
The thermostat does not have communications to the control board on the AC. When you reset the thermostat you lost zone 2 because of the this. I had the same problem on mine, only I had to pull the cover off the AC to reset the connector on the AC unit. Luckly for me that was my problem. Hope your as lucky

I had the same problem several times until I figured out why.

E2 is a loss on communication between t-stat and A/C or between both A/C units. In my case, the front A/C unit would start to cycle on & off and finally stay off with the E2 code then, the rear would do the same and eventually the whole system would shut down (as defined in Dometic literature). The 2 A/C's communicate with each other through the t-stat so if 1 has a communication problem and the 2nd one can't talk to the 1st one, they will both shut down.

After 3 calls to my mobile tech (each time he was able to get it working for about 1 - 6 months) I finally went up on the roof with him to see what he did. We removed the cover on the front A/C unit then removed the 8-10 screws on the curved cover for the air return (front of the unit). In there, are a bunch of communication cabled (telephone type wire) with modular plugs. He unplugged each one and inspected it, cleaned it with a small brush and plugged it back in. One of the cable ends was corroded. After cleaning this (actually he cut off the end and replaced the connector) and reconnecting, BOTH A/C's started.

The 4th time, I went up myself but this time, I cleaned, taped the connections with good electrical tape and ziptied all the wires up and away from the evaporator core (moisture) and drip tray. It's been 10 months since I did that and there have been no further problems.

The reason you lost the front (zone 2) A/C after reinitializing the t-stat is because the t-stat then "looked" for systems connected to it. When it couldn't find the front A/C (no communication) but found the rear A/C (zone 1), it thinks everything is ok, only one zone and will allow the one A/C to run.

If you feel capable and can't see the comm cables from the inside (ducted A/C system) and you're able, go up on the roof and do what I did.

Good luck and keep us informed.
rracer5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2016, 06:17 PM   #8
Retired Retail/Importer

A/C in our Sierra (Sandpiper)

I had the same problem...Here's what FR told me...The water was overflowing through our running ceiling fan...! The problem is they didn't allow a big enough vent return to the A/C and the condensation...it really is a shallow return. I got up on the roof and removed the A/C cover. The thermostat wiring was fried and sitting in water...I bought the tool and cut the wire and restriped the ends and got a new connector... I taped them up away from the water...and drilled out the drain holes. FR sent me two matching vent covers so I cut out two new returns between the originals and reset the thermostat...whew...time consuming but the A/C is working perfectly...I'll get up on the front A/C (bedroom unit) on the roof soon enough just to look it over too.
pledbetter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2016, 06:20 PM   #9
Retired Retail/Importer

Sierra (Sandpiper) A/C Problem...solution

DSCN5537.jpg
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN5537.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	198.7 KB
ID:	113968  
pledbetter is offline   Reply With Quote