Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-09-2019, 12:24 PM   #1

Escaped severe weather in the nick of time.

Not really off topic, and RV related, but what the heck. What are your stories of managing to escape sever weather while out camping ?

My story: Wife and I and oldest son...he was only a year old at the time...35 now. We're camping at Pioneer Village in Nebraska. Heard talk of T-storms in the area, but not much else. I'm watching clouds approaching from west and notice how tall Thunder Heads are beginning to get. I'm thinking..."this is gonna get bad." I finally tell wife..."I don't like the looks of this and we're packing and I'm hightailing it to the interstate...quite a few miles to the north.
I started chucking gear into the popup and not giving a damn how it's packed. Wife has son locked in car seat as I'm dragging trailer to hitch. Off we go like a bat out of hell and heading north to I-80. Clouds are close and I'm not sure we're going to make it in time. We then start to hear the warnings on radio...and I'm now running about 85 up hwy...safety be damn....I know. Hit I-80 and blowing east still at 80 mph. I realize i'm getting ahead and slow and head for Grand Island. It's dark, pull to Holiday Inn and get room. Turn on TV just in time to get report on the wind damage at Pioneer CG. The big TT that we were parked next too...wonderful elderly couple...was on it's side and moved about 10 feet from the pad. Our little Jayco Popup would've been destroyed had we not gotten out of there in time.

Please share your stories.
TheWolfPaq82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2019, 12:34 PM   #2

The creator provided all creatures with "instinct". A basic survival mechanism that if listened to will keep one safe for a long time.

You followed your instinct that weather was not going to remain OK and it saved your bacon. Good job.

FWIW, I hate camping in some parts of the country, especially where it's flat for miles. A travel trailer can sometimes be the highest structure in a thunderstorm and getting hit by lightning isn't my idea of a fun trip. Likewise with wind.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2019, 01:00 PM   #3
Recently new!

Send a message via AIM to Paulie1138
Similar story camping. We were passing thru Kansasas as kids family camping/traveling. I was about 14. We had just set up the pop up to beat the rain. The management came out to tell us there was a tornado headed our way. We frantically put the pop up back down in time and hooked to the TV and head for the shelter as we heard the roar and saw the tornado off in the distance! We came out, it had gone thru the freshly plowed farmers’ field just over the fence from where we were. Camper had a ton of dirt on it, and we walked out and looked at the huge furrow it had left in his field.
Loving wife, R.I.P., 6/6/19
and Mason the always dirty dog! R.I.P, 2/19
Paulie1138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2019, 01:23 PM   #4
RCW

We were camping at Woodland Park Campground In Grand Marais, Mi. My family in our TT and my parents next to us in their 5er. I wake up in the AM and it is dark as night when the sun should have been coming up. Turn the TV and there are warnings of a nasty front coming our way with tornado warnings. After much discussion we decide to wait it out where there were at least buildings to seek shelter, instead of getting caught on the road. We made it through the first wave with no damage, but there were several lines of storms predicted to come through that day. So we pack up and head south to the Mackinac Bridge. 10 min's after we get across the bridge, they close it due to high winds. We make our way to Hartwick Pines State Park and set our camps up. My dad and I are sitting back enjoying a beer and discussing the days events when a ranger pulls up and tells us there are tornados headed our way. We packed up again and ran back home to Columbus, Oh with our tails between our legs!
RCW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2019, 06:08 PM   #5
Gold Tee Box

Gosh, you made the right moves, and fortunately you were paying attention instead of getting caught off guard.

I've camped in Oklahoma where they had tornado shelters on site, where you go underground. That doesn't save all your equipment but those things can be replaced!

After spending 41+ years in telecommunications, I'm an avid weather watcher, and know that you can never relax with pop up storms and severe weather.

At home you grab each other, pets, valuables, keep everything else in a safe, and get into the basement or cellar. It may not be a bad idea to keep a small safe in the camper, just thinking.

Teetime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2019, 06:25 PM   #6
Site Team

Well, we've had a very mild winter in Western Washington until 2 weeks before we headed south to SoCal and Arizona.
We had two feet of snow over a 2 week period throughout the region.
A few days before we left, it luckily stopped and warmed up enough for us to get on the road. Even over Siskiyou Pass on I5. Breezed through Seattle, Portland and Los Angeles.
We managed to stay ahead of the PNW snowstorms that followed behind us and the rainstorms in NorCal that also followed us and caused flooding.
And so far, 19 days later, only two days of bad weather.
Definitely not as warm as the previous 2 years but we're currently laying out by the pool, in El Centro.[emoji16][emoji41]
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2019, 06:40 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikendan View Post
Well, we've had a very mild winter in Western Washington until 2 weeks before we headed south to SoCal and Arizona.
A few days before we left, it luckily stopped and warmed up enough for us to get on the road. Even over Siskiyou Pass on I5. Breezed through Seattle, Portland and Los Angeles.
Definitely not as warm as the previous 2 years but we're currently laying out by the pool, in El Centro.[emoji16][emoji41]
Dan ? for those of stuck in midwest snow....That's just mean.
Old 03-09-2019, 06:41 PM   #8

Thanks for the great story's and everyone was safe afterwards.

Growing up in Nebraska...yeah...you either learn to read the weather or you'll get caught with pants down.
Old 03-09-2019, 06:55 PM   #9
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWolfPaq82 View Post
Dan ? for those of stuck in midwest snow....That's just mean.
I could've been meaner and posted pics of us lying on the beach and me surfing without a wet suit.[emoji12]
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2019, 07:00 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teetime View Post
Gosh, you made the right moves, and fortunately you were paying attention instead of getting caught off guard.

I've camped in Oklahoma where they had tornado shelters on site, where you go underground. That doesn't save all your equipment but those things can be replaced!

After spending 41+ years in telecommunications, I'm an avid weather watcher, and know that you can never relax with pop up storms and severe weather.

At home you grab each other, pets, valuables, keep everything else in a safe, and get into the basement or cellar. It may not be a bad idea to keep a small safe in the camper, just thinking.
That'll keep the items in the safe protected alright. Only problem will come after the Tornado passes and you try to find the safe. Might not be a bad idea to attach a GPS locator beacon to it as it may be in a field three counties over

Old 03-09-2019, 07:09 PM   #11

Quote:

I left for Arizona on January 1 hoping to spend a nice month in warm weather. Was super chilly while there with only one or two days hitting 70 degrees. Decided to head home and sure enough, I arrived just in time for the big freeze and snow. I didn't get the full two feet, just 18" but did see temps in my back yard as low as 2 degrees.

BTW, when I passed through the LA area it was raining harder than some of our worst days here in WA. Was amazed at how well the traffic was moving considering how many CA drivers behave when they come up here and drive in the rain

Old 03-09-2019, 07:16 PM   #12
waybeck2018

Real and recent event, storm related and TT related. I had my Tracer TT at the dealership waiting for some warranty work one being the door would not always lock. On Sunday night/evening March 3 the area was hit with severe storms and even a devastating tornado in Lee County, AL. This severe wind related event forced the door open and slammed it against the front street side window, shattering it completely. Fortunateley the dealer was checking all the TT and 5ers outside and found it. They immediately moved it inside the building. Now we wait for Primetime to send a replacement window. Warranty Manager expects it late next week. Glad I did not pay the fee for the Tampa area rally. Goes back to intuition I guess. We really were looking forward to the rally but my gut said "don't in advance." So, if we get the Tracer back by Thursday evening we can still check for availability.

Looking Forward to Completing This Map Soon !
waybeck2018 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2019, 07:25 PM   #13

Quote:
I could've been meaner and posted pics of us lying on the beach and me surfing without a wet suit.[emoji12]
Last time I did that, a bunch of people ran up and tried to roll me back into the ocean.
Old 03-09-2019, 07:27 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitanMike View Post
I left for Arizona on January 1 hoping to spend a nice month in warm weather. Was super chilly while there with only one or two days hitting 70 degrees. Decided to head home and sure enough, I arrived just in time for the big freeze and snow. I didn't get the full two feet, just 18" but did see temps in my back yard as low as 2 degrees.

BTW, when I passed through the LA area it was raining harder than some of our worst days here in WA. Was amazed at how well the traffic was moving considering how many CA drivers behave when they come up here and drive in the rain
Trade ya snow. We hit almost 50" this year. Today was the first Saturday without a snow storm in 6 weeks.
Old 03-09-2019, 07:29 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by waybeck2018 View Post
Real and recent event, storm related and TT related. I had my Tracer TT at the dealership waiting for some warranty work one being the door would not always lock. On Sunday night/evening March 3 the area was hit with severe storms and even a devastating tornado in Lee County, AL. This severe wind related event forced the door open and slammed it against the front street side window, shattering it completely. Fortunateley the dealer was checking all the TT and 5ers outside and found it. They immediately moved it inside the building. Now we wait for Primetime to send a replacement window. Warranty Manager expects it late next week. Glad I did not pay the fee for the Tampa area rally. Goes back to intuition I guess. We really were looking forward to the rally but my gut said "don't in advance." So, if we get the Tracer back by Thursday evening we can still check for availability.
That was one hell of storm down there. Glad you're safe and sound.
Old 03-09-2019, 07:30 PM   #16

We pulled into a campsite in Pennsylvania while on vacation and checked in. The clouds to the west didn't look friendly so we didn't set up right way. The guy in the next site came over and told me that we was a local and that it was going to be a light shower and that we could set up. I informed him that when we were coming over the pass to the east it looked really bad west of here.
About 30 minutes later, strong winds and downpour conditions hammered the area for about one hour. The sun came out and we set up and enjoyed the evening.
The neighbor lost his dining canopy and several chairs.
Always pay attention and follow your instincts.
BarabooBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2019, 08:22 PM   #17

My daughter and I were camped on a fellers ranch in South Dakota just south of MM 170 on I-80. We had been there a week working on Prairie Dog population control and the weather had been wet and nasty. The fellers son had been tent camping with us all week as well so on Sunday we were all going to cook a big breakfast before I headed out. I looked up at the sky to the west and said to Harold that I'm breaking camp and getting out NOW. I had a F150 4x4 and a new FR PUP. We had to climb up out of the river bottoms to the county road up on the prairie. My truck was spinning out on the greasy gumbo clay so Harold hooked hooks up to me with his f350 srw 4x4 and we come up that cow trail mud flying in the air. Made it to the gravel road and the kid and I headed for Montana and dryer ground.
Blackrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2019, 08:48 PM   #18

DID not realize I needed to escape...

I was able to get a 5 night tent-only site at Bahia Honda in the keys about 8 years ago. I drove down with a friend and a 9X9 tent to enjoy the Keys weather in mid-October one year. We arrived on a Monday and setup everything. We both had blow-up air mattresses. I put my satchel of clothes on the tent floor after changing and the two of us drove a couple of Keys away for a great seafood meal. While driving it sprinkled rain, but nothing big-time.

Upon returning just before dark, we got to our site. The neighbor came over and told us of the storm that we had missed. Strong winds and horizontal rain he said for about 20 minutes... "really?" we said.

Upon closer inspection of the tent we found our air mattresses floating in about 2 inches of water. The tent had an enclosed bottom that had caught and maintained all of the rain water that flew into our open screened windows. The only way to get the water out was to slice a hole into the bottom of the tent to let the water escape.

Fortunately the weather was warm, although all of my clothes were soaked in my bag on the floor... but my pillow and top of the air mattress was dry.

Next morning we headed for the nearest laundra-mat in the keys to try and dry everything that I had brought to wear. The rest of the week was overcast and rainy and I did not get completely dry until we left on Friday and spent the night in Miami at a Holiday Inn and used that dryer to finish getting dry. Quite a wet week in the Florida Keys...

I then started to use my smartphone (new to me at the time) to monitor the weather via a newly downloaded app.

2014 Shamrock 183
2014 RAM 1500 Bighorn Crew Cab, HEMI, 3.21 gears, 8 Spd, 4X4 TST TPMS
rsdata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2019, 05:58 AM   #19

Hi,

Just last evening we abandoned our site in northern Alabama when the sirens went off. Arrived at the designated shelter identified earlier in the day by the campground staff (ominous forecast when we checked in), only to have the sirens stop.

Better safe than sorry...

Because of the impending storm, as soon as we were set up, we had put together "bugout bags" with our computer, phones, checkbook, a particularly valuable quilt my wife had been working on, and other items we felt we didn't want scattered over the countryside if our fiver got hit. We tossed them in the truck and headed for a safe area when the time came.

This has been our general response on several occasions when tornados threatened as we camped in the south and Midwest over the years.

FWIW.

Rich Phillips
richp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2019, 08:00 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by richp View Post
Hi,

Just last evening we abandoned our site in northern Alabama when the sirens went off. Arrived at the designated shelter identified earlier in the day by the campground staff (ominous forecast when we checked in), only to have the sirens stop.

Better safe than sorry...

Because of the impending storm, as soon as we were set up, we had put together "bugout bags" with our computer, phones, checkbook, a particularly valuable quilt my wife had been working on, and other items we felt we didn't want scattered over the countryside if our fiver got hit. We tossed them in the truck and headed for a safe area when the time came.

This has been our general response on several occasions when tornados threatened as we camped in the south and Midwest over the years.

FWIW.

Rich Phillips
The wife never seems to think about things like that, but I'm kinda anal about watching the weather and having a plan ready if needed. Looks like you have a good plan.