Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-04-2015, 04:48 PM   #1

Etiquette

I'm soon to be new to camping (waiting for the call that the camper is off the line), and I'm curious about the etiquette of overnight or "WalMart" camping.

If we're stopping overnight in a rest area or store that allows it, are we still allowed to put out the slides? Do we still put down the stab. jacks? Is using the generator considered rude?

I don't want to offend people, or possibly get a ticket, I just want someplace to sleep overnight to get on the road the first thing in the morning.

Thanks.
JackAndJane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2015, 05:28 PM   #2

we did just that on our way home with our new unit didn't have any problems however I don't know about the generator
R&J Silverback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2015, 05:35 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

I would stay hooked up and leave stab jacks up. Only put out slides necessary to function in the trailer for the night.
asquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2015, 05:43 PM   #4
Always Learning

We prefer our slides out to comfortably function so we look for a spot where they won't intrude on whatever is around us.

For generators, I'd say this is a case by case basis. Is anyone around that would be offended/annoyed by the noise? If so, go without if you can.

For stab jacks, it depends again- be *very* mindful that hot blacktop is very easy to damage by small concentrated points of pressure. I've heard stories on the Walmart RVing Yahoo Group about leveling systems poking $2,000 holes in the blacktop at Walmart's expense. (I know stab jacks are different than leveling systems by A LOT, but still...)

The Walmart RVing group has a "code of etiquette" document that they put together with some other groups. Basically, try to keep as many appearances of "parking" instead of "camping" as possible.
Old 01-04-2015, 05:43 PM   #5
Always Learning

MOST IMPORTANTLY! Always ask first. Even if there are others parked before you, ask first either via phone or by going inside.
Old 01-04-2015, 05:54 PM   #6

Thanks all.

Yeah, I've spent a lot of years on motorcycles (the camper is a toy hauler) and seen too many times where the inconsiderate abused a privilege that resulted in the revocation of that privilege for all. I don't want to be "that" person. This is the definitive case of it's better to ask permission than to beg forgiveness.
Old 01-04-2015, 06:21 PM   #7
Always Learning

Etiquette

Here's the best resource for etiquette and a list of which Walmarts that do/do not allow overnight parking:

http://halberstadt.macmate.me/Walmart/
Old 01-05-2015, 01:41 PM   #8

There's also an app Allstays Camp & RV that lists all sorts of things including Walmart locations, phone numbers etc. which also allows reviews/comments. Excellent resource. BTW I believe this practice is called Boondocking.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
Richard McDougall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2015, 02:16 PM   #9

In reality we're probably more concerned with rest areas, but I would hope that the "rules" would be similar.
Old 01-06-2015, 07:05 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackAndJane View Post
In reality we're probably more concerned with rest areas, but I would hope that the "rules" would be similar.
State rules will vary. NC allows no overnight parking. Some of the others do. Can't imagine that a rest area would be nearly as safe as a Wal-Mart. Be careful.

The world is a great book, of which those who never stir from home
read only a page. - St. Augustine
mjones12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2015, 07:16 AM   #11

This is a great site i came across. It also has a state by state list of walmarts that prohibit overnight stays.

http://www.walmartatlas.com/rv-parking-at-walmart/

Ontario, Canada

2014 Dodge Ram 1500 5.7
2015 Rockwood Ultralite 2905ss

2014 Dodge Ram 1500 5.7L
HappyCamper77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2015, 08:12 AM   #12
Site Team

My thoughts are.....The less intrusive you are, the better. Park out of the way, no awnings out, picnic tables or bbqs set up, and don't look like you're moving in for a while. It should look like you stopped to shop. Draws less attention.
But each place has its own expectations so you may want to ask mgmt. Good that you asked here.

dcheatwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2015, 01:35 PM   #13

So I'm seeing as I try to look at the rest area policies. I'm not ruling anything out yet but I want to try to be prepared.

Roger that on the safety. We'll have layered security with multiple cell phones backed by multiple pit bulls backed by multiple firearms and a cat with a surly disposition.
Old 01-06-2015, 02:49 PM   #14

We've used WMs about 1/2 a dozen times without issue. If we're the first RV there then we'll ask to be sure it's ok although I usually just ask a staff member that's handy. If there's others already there we'll usually forgo asking just grab an out of the way spot with the others. I don't see a problem in using the jacks or slides to keep things comfortable on the inside but stop at using anything on the outside like awnings, mats, chairs, BBQ or geni. We'll usually eat in or out if there's something within walking distance. If we don't have anything then we grab something at WM. Lastly we always clean-up after Fido.
2012 (6 nights), 2013 (32 nights), 2014 (26 nights), 2015 (37 nights), 2016 (14 nights)
mTn_biKer65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2015, 03:08 PM   #15

From my experience, rest areas, which are built for this purpose, are completely different from using private property for something other than the intended purpose.

It's unfortunate, but due to trash, pet, noise, drug & alcohol, homeless, and other problems, Walmart is becoming more unfriendly to overnight campers.
woozy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2015, 06:15 PM   #16
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by woozy View Post
It's unfortunate, but due to trash, pet, noise, drug & alcohol, homeless, and other problems, Walmart is becoming more unfriendly to overnight campers.
These are things we've experienced in rest areas but never at a Walmart.

dcheatwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2015, 06:46 PM   #17

My question is why "camp" at WM or truck stops? The local restaurant has a problem with people who drive MH and stop for a meal. They go to the washroom and take all the toilet paper. Come on people if you can afford to purchase a MH or high end trailer don't skimp on camping fees.
caper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2015, 06:50 PM   #18
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by caper View Post
My question is why "camp" at WM or truck stops? The local restaurant has a problem with people who drive MH and stop for a meal. They go to the washroom and take all the toilet paper. Come on people if you can afford to purchase a MH or high end trailer don't skimp on camping fees.
X2 on using campgrounds instead of truck stops, rest areas and Walmart parking lots.
Old 01-06-2015, 07:05 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by caper

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCoot View Post
X2 on using campgrounds instead of truck stops, rest areas and Walmart parking lots.
Wow, those are the kind of replies you would expect over at RV.net
Kinda makes you wonder....

2007 Surveyor SV230
- 200 Watts Solar/MPPT Controller - 220 AH Battery Bank (Two-GC2) - 600 watt PSW Inverter - (2) 2000 watt Inverter Generators - LED Lighting
2009 F150 - 5.4 Litre with Tow Package

Boon Docking 99% of the time.
boondocking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2015, 07:17 PM   #20

Etiquette

Quote:
Originally Posted by caper View Post

My family is planning a trip to Disney world this year. We will be driving from Canada. What the plan is, is to just drive until I need to stop. Find the closest Wally World put the kids in bed and rest for the night. Early rise and on the road again. So we can get down there sooner than later. Problem being, we can't tell where we will be when the time come to pull over. So it's hard to reserve a campsite. That's why a Walmart is very convenient for us. And I bring my own toilet paper.

Ontario, Canada

2014 Dodge Ram 1500 5.7

2014 Dodge Ram 1500 5.7L
HappyCamper77 is offline   Reply With Quote