Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-16-2016, 02:50 PM   #21

Like they say "Ram em ,Don't Dodge em"! Youroo!!
Old 04-16-2016, 08:46 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4mula1fan View Post
See? It's always the truckers fault... Exactly why I can't wait to quit driving for a living...
Why stereotype? The other day, DW and I observed a pickup truck driver driving very recklessly. He nearly caused three accidents in two blocks before cutting across to a fourth lane in heavy traffic to make a left turn, running the red light. DW started to call 911, but because he had switched so many lanes and turned off, it was fruitless. And , God forbid, he was driving the same brand pickup as we were. Should I trade truck brands? Does it mean I should quit driving a pickup or quit driving altogether? Not--he was the fool and if caught, he would be walking. So why throw yourself in the barrel with one bad apple? If your a good truck driver, be proud of it.
PenJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2016, 12:09 AM   #23
Too old to be too smart

So, did the OP (that would be "brad10281") stop when he got to the place the Dodge had flagged down the semi and offer his video as evidence to prove or disprove responsibility?

Pop

2000 F-350 7.3L CC/LB 4WD Lariat 3.73's
SpringerPop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2016, 01:14 AM   #24
Who Dares, Wins

Hate to say it but this one goes onto the trucker. IF the Ram was in its lane he has a right to his lane, the semi needs to maintain HIS lane. If he cannot well I do not know what to tell him. If that was my crash the driver of the semi would be getting the bone on this on.

Pat, Jen, Heather & Sapphire, the head mouser.
2015 Chevy HD D-Max
2022 Impression 315MB
doc73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2016, 05:20 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by doc73 View Post
Hate to say it but this one goes onto the trucker. IF the Ram was in its lane he has a right to his lane, the semi needs to maintain HIS lane. If he cannot well I do not know what to tell him. If that was my crash the driver of the semi would be getting the bone on this on.
I agree with you 100% from a legal and liability standpoint, especially since you're in the business so to say, however.

That still does not let off the Ram driver for being a doomoss. He should of paid attention and noticed the situation he was putting himself into. I do not buy what someone else said about stopping before making the turn and obstructing traffic, would you have cited someone for stopping while making a right turn, with signal of course, if they stopped because they noticed the situation was snafu'd ?

The driver of the Ram may not have been at fault legally, but he sure was at fault for not having any common sense.
Mr Havercamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2016, 05:45 AM   #26
Who Dares, Wins

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Havercamp View Post
I agree with you 100% from a legal and liability standpoint, especially since you're in the business so to say, however.

That still does not let off the Ram driver for being a doomoss. He should of paid attention and noticed the situation he was putting himself into. I do not buy what someone else said about stopping before making the turn and obstructing traffic, would you have cited someone for stopping while making a right turn, with signal of course, if they stopped because they noticed the situation was snafu'd ?

The driver of the Ram may not have been at fault legally, but he sure was at fault for not having any common sense.
Yeah, I was not there and from this view I cannot see what the Ram driver saw. He maybe a butt head and stopping where he did might not have helped him but it still falls on the truck. I dunno, was not there and not in the head of the Ram driver. Could he have turned the corner and now realizes he is not getting through (did not see it before since the previous car got through?)? Should he back up and maybe get rear ended (now his fault). Again, I dunno..

2015 Chevy HD D-Max
2022 Impression 315MB
Old 04-17-2016, 05:57 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by doc73 View Post
Your rational falls into the category of a lot of 'Victims" they were "Dead Rite"! If anyone on here can say they have Never used more than "Their Legal Lane" to make a Turn while towing their RV,then they can cast the First stone! Youroo!
Old 04-17-2016, 06:23 AM   #28
Who Dares, Wins

Its not a rational it is reality.. I'm not saying he MIGHT have prevented his damage to his vehicle. But for my purposes, it makes no difference.

I had a lady step in front of a car at a crosswalk... She was run over. As she was being wheeled to the ambulance then to the helicopter she yelled to me "He needed to yield to me." My response, How's that work out for you?

I have drifted into other lanes before with or without a trailer.. The difference was I never hit anything.

2015 Chevy HD D-Max
2022 Impression 315MB
Old 04-17-2016, 07:12 AM   #29

could it be a milk tanker going to farm to get there milk
peterbilt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2016, 07:27 AM   #30

If I was in the a situation the Dodge was in I would just sit off the corner until the tanker was out of the way.

Not going to risk a trip to a body shop for a short wait.
Old 04-17-2016, 07:35 AM   #31

The Ram driver, approaching the intersection, had to observe that the semi was stopped for a period of time. The Ram driver also had to take into consideration the traffic approaching from his rear. If he chose to stop in a traffic lane with traffic flow not less than 45 MPH (open road/4-lane) and the semi did not move because of oncoming cross traffic, the Ram is obstructing traffic. The argument then would have been, could the Ram have made the corner. By then the semi would have boogied.

The semi driver chose to take a route that was unsafe for heavy truck traffic, consequently putting himself and others in jeopardy. He succeeded-and then drove off.
Old 04-17-2016, 07:36 AM   #32

Send a message via AIM to B and B
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCoot View Post
The driver of the Dodge should know his truck's turning radius and drive accordingly. It is apparent he certainly doesn't know how to drive. Could he not see his front end was under the tanker? Must have a depth perception problem as well as being a bad driver.
The Dodge might have been distracted, high on wacky tabacco, drunk, a Surgeon trying to get the hospital to do a transplant, texting, yelling at kids in the back seat. Not much we can say here without facts.
2015 Heartland Bighorn 5th Wheel
2013 FR Rockwood 8289WS 5th Wheel
2012 FR Rockwood 2703 SS Travel Trailer
B and B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2016, 07:37 AM   #33

Send a message via AIM to B and B
Quote:
Originally Posted by PenJoe View Post
The Ram driver, approaching the intersection, had to observe that the semi was stopped for a period of time. The Ram driver also had to take into consideration the traffic approaching from his rear. If he chose to stop in a traffic lane with traffic flow not less than 45 MPH (open road/4-lane) and the semi did not move because of oncoming cross traffic, the Ram is obstructing traffic. The argument then would have been, could the Ram have made the corner. By then the semi would have boogied.

The semi driver chose to take a route that was unsafe for heavy truck traffic, consequently putting himself and others in jeopardy. He succeeded-and then drove off.
X2 Semi Driver at fault.. Was this even a truck route?
2015 Heartland Bighorn 5th Wheel
2013 FR Rockwood 8289WS 5th Wheel
2012 FR Rockwood 2703 SS Travel Trailer
B and B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2016, 07:46 AM   #34
Who Dares, Wins

As far as the truck driving off.. Not the end of the world, it happens and they are big. He may not have legitimately felt a thing.. They are big and heavy as F4 said. Actually happens quite a bit.

I agree with the speculation. I know it might not be the popular feeling, maybe, but I look at this as objective and unemotional.. X happened and Y occurred. This is all, nothing more to read into it. If the ram was moving and hit the truck, even if the truck was out of lane, the ram would maybe be at fault. The trucks lane issue would be a factor but the blame and outcome may change.

I am also curious if this video was given to police/ victim or just posted for our entertainment.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

2015 Chevy HD D-Max
2022 Impression 315MB
Old 04-17-2016, 12:44 PM   #35
Done with this

Quote:
Why stereotype? The other day, DW and I observed a pickup truck driver driving very recklessly. He nearly caused three accidents in two blocks before cutting across to a fourth lane in heavy traffic to make a left turn, running the red light. DW started to call 911, but because he had switched so many lanes and turned off, it was fruitless. And , God forbid, he was driving the same brand pickup as we were. Should I trade truck brands? Does it mean I should quit driving a pickup or quit driving altogether? Not--he was the fool and if caught, he would be walking. So why throw yourself in the barrel with one bad apple? If your a good truck driver, be proud of it.
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by B and B View Post
X2 Semi Driver at fault.. Was this even a truck route?
Like I said, I can't wait to quit driving for a living. Watch every blood sucking lawyers commercial. "Call us if in an accident with a semi truck". I do city delivery driving, and have to deliver to peoples houses. Furniture, appliances and other stuff. I am in residential areas with a 65' semi daily. We aren't supposed to be there at all, but how am I supposed to do my job? Cut me and other drivers some slack, and give us some extra room. If I call and ask if I can safely get to the location, don't say yes if it's a bad spot. It's a very stressful and aggravating job.

I'm a little too truthful, I guess.
Y'all have fun in "Fantasy Land".
4mula1fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2016, 10:33 PM   #36

To those that asked if I stuck around to share the video...no, I did not. The van in front of me did pull over with them as a witness. What you guys didn't see is that every car, prior to that Dodge, ended up just going over the curb. Guess the guy in the Dodge thought he could make it without going over the curb. The semi driver made an immediate u-turn and pulled over, I'm pretty sure he knew what happened. The fact is that the semi driver took a route that was posted for local traffic only. He had to take a left there to get back on the highway. Traffic from the left is exiting the highway and traffic from the right is entering the highway, its almost impossible for a semi to get through that intersection. Didn't post it to start any debates, I just thought it was interesting that the semi powered through the accident like that. Be safe out there!

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk
brad10281 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2016, 05:24 AM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4mula1fan View Post
See? It's always the truckers fault... Exactly why I can't wait to quit driving for a living...

Yep. The billboard of lawyers knowing a big truck has $1,000,000 insurance policy. How about when cars pull past the stop lines at red lights or cut right in front of the truck. They don't want a truck to follow that close but they pull in that close and put themselves in harms way. A little cooperation would have solved it. Dodge would be 15 seconds slower to the next red light where they will stop.
arpipeliner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2016, 07:15 AM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zooming View Post
Looks to me like the pickup came around the corner, could not get by on the road due to the tanker trailer in the way.
Pickup driver could have waited 30 seconds and avoided the whole mess. It's all on him.

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
Agreed. Pickup truck more to blame
OKI Marine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2016, 07:21 AM   #39

Interesting to say the least. Exactly what was the semi driver supposed to do when the truck positioned itself under the trailer? Forget about where he was regarding the lane separation. The pickup created a no win situation for both drivers and the only solution was for it to back up and clear the lane. Sort of like when a car slams on the brakes and gets hit from the rear.

I am sure that the semi paid the bill, but both drivers should have been cited!

2015 335DS
ScottBrownstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2016, 09:16 AM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by arpipeliner View Post
Yep. The billboard of lawyers knowing a big truck has $1,000,000 insurance policy. How about when cars pull past the stop lines at red lights or cut right in front of the truck. They don't want a truck to follow that close but they pull in that close and put themselves in harms way. A little cooperation would have solved it. Dodge would be 15 seconds slower to the next red light where they will stop.
You bring up a good point. Many of us on this forum are driving rigs approaching the size of semis. As good drivers, it is important to keep a safe interval. Yet, smaller vehicle drivers have no clue when they cut in front of you, drastically taking that interval away. They will be doing this even if a traffic signal is going to red or vehicles ahead are applying their brakes. Most drivers have never driven more than a car,SUV, or light truck. So they have no experience has to how their lane change affects larger/heavier rigs. This driving behavior should be addressed in driver's education classes and in driving tests.

Many years ago, I was nearing home pulling a utility trailer in the far right lane of a 4-lane road. The speed limit was 45 MPH and there were traffic signals scattered down the roadway. A vehicle to my left made a lane change in front of me and the bumpers were about 15' apart as we were approaching a traffic signal. Just as the driver changed lanes, the light went to yellow and he immediately hit the brakes to stop. He was rear ended. Had that vehicle not have changed lanes coming into that intersection, I could have made a safe stop, but that lane change driver had taken at least 50 ft. stopping distance away from me. His lane change decision totaled his small Chrysler rental and I had to replace my Bronco bumper. In those circumstances, being that close to the traffic signals, I could have done nothing differently. The Chrysler driver learned a hard lesson. There were no injuries and no traffic citations issued.