Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-15-2016, 09:25 PM   #1

Even pro's make mistakes!

Caught this on video this morning on my way to work. Truck driver decided to take the "better" route around some construction. The roads he traveled weren't designed for big trucks and someone else had to pay for it.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B52...ew?usp=sharing
brad10281 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2016, 09:50 PM   #2
Done with this

Not making excuses, or defending the truck driver(much), but you really can't feel it when you run over things in a semi. Don't ask me how I know... I tail slapped a concrete block building and felt nothing. Dang near knocked it down... Sure hope things worked out for both parties.

I'm a little too truthful, I guess.
Y'all have fun in "Fantasy Land".
4mula1fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2016, 10:05 PM   #3

Around this area GPS routes trucks onto roads that they should not be on. It has gotten so bad that VDOT has to put many signs warning truckers not to follow their GPS that the road is not suited to big trucks.

In the video looks like the Dodge couldn't turn sharp enough and was too far in the big trucks lane.......

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
2017 Wildwood Lodge 4092 BFL
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Lillie Spoiled Rotten Boxer Mix
Oaklevel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2016, 10:07 PM   #4
Done with this

That's a fact. GPS will get you in a heck of a bind. I call it "the b***h in the box".

Old 04-15-2016, 10:34 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oaklevel View Post
In the video looks like the Dodge couldn't turn sharp enough and was too far in the big trucks lane.......
The semi was actually over the line into the other lane. The intersection is horribly designed, a full size truck can barely make the turn without rubbing the curb. The highway is technically closed and signs posted on the highway for the next exit do say that it's for local traffic only. I didn't post it to point fingers, just caught an interesting incident on the road and thought I'd share. You can actually see the sheet metal of the Ram peeling up if you look close enough. I also agree that the truck driver probably barely felt it.
brad10281 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2016, 11:39 PM   #6

Looks to me like the pickup came around the corner, could not get by on the road due to the tanker trailer in the way.
Pickup driver could have waited 30 seconds and avoided the whole mess. It's all on him.

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
Zooming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2016, 01:35 AM   #7
2007 WildCat 32QBBS

What a shame for that Dodge to put his nose right in the line of danger. What do you think will happen?
18CrewDually is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2016, 02:23 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zooming View Post
Looks to me like the pickup came around the corner, could not get by on the road due to the tanker trailer in the way.
Pickup driver could have waited 30 seconds and avoided the whole mess. It's all on him.

I agree with this! Youroo!!
Old 04-16-2016, 06:02 AM   #9

Quote:
When he was approaching the intersection to make the right hand turn and looked right to see that the semi had the lane blocked (ahhhhh probably never looked before making the turn) he should of stopped right there before making the right, instead of trying to push his way through the blocked lane.

I don't make any claims to be a perfect driver, but we have no shortage of boneheads on the roads making stupid moves because they think they'll save 30 seconds. They should give the guy in the pickup a citation. I commute 105 miles one way daily and some of the stuff I see really chaps my A%@.

Its not unlike if your sitting at an intersection at a stoplight in the right hand lane, with a solid line to your right which indicates to stay off the shoulder. How many people come up driving on the shoulder beyond that white line making a right on red? Usually we also have a sign that says stay off shoulder. But when you do it legally from the lane to the left of the white line and hit one of those idiots on the shoulder, they will cry like babies how its your fault.
Mr Havercamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2016, 07:54 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by brad10281 View Post
The semi was actually over the line into the other lane. The intersection is horribly designed, a full size truck can barely make the turn without rubbing the curb. The highway is technically closed and signs posted on the highway for the next exit do say that it's for local traffic only. I didn't post it to point fingers, just caught an interesting incident on the road and thought I'd share. You can actually see the sheet metal of the Ram peeling up if you look close enough. I also agree that the truck driver probably barely felt it.
Big trucks end up on the wrong roads around here all the time GPS sends them bad ways. The thing here is, the outcome is usually much worse. Many deaths. I've been behind a big truck on hairpin curves that are so tight the ICC bar would drag and lift the trailers rear tandems off the ground. He made it but once your there you can't exactly turn around. The bad also is most of the roads are state highways. Signs have helped but not the total answer.

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
2017 Wildwood Lodge 4092 BFL
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Lillie Spoiled Rotten Boxer Mix
Oaklevel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2016, 09:35 AM   #11

Yeah, I did something like that on a construction site. I was driving a belly dump semi and dropping a load of AB where the grade boss wanted it. Got to close to the surveyors truck parked on my off side and peeled it from the driver mirror forward. Closed the gates on the trailer and hooking gears out of there. They flagged me down on my next round. Had three bosses and safety all over me plus a trip to the clinic for a pee test.
After the next mornings tailgate briefing all the pickup trucks were to be parked 20 feet of the grade or in a flagged designated area.
Blackrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2016, 09:41 AM   #12
Mod free 5er

Looks to me like the Dodge turned left into the semi. As has been stated, he could have waited a few seconds or backed up an turned sharper to the right and avoided the whole mess. Not the semi's fault.
OldCoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2016, 12:32 PM   #13
ARLO

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCoot View Post
Looks to me like the Dodge turned left into the semi. As has been stated, he could have waited a few seconds or backed up an turned sharper to the right and avoided the whole mess. Not the semi's fault.
I would agree if not for the fact that the tanker breached the double yellow line and the pickup was standing still in his properly designated lane. The pickup was in his designated lane and stopped advancing when he realized the problem. The Semi caused the incident by driving beyond the double yellow line and advancing before he verified that he had the clearance to do so. That is why they have those big mirrors. If there was any question, it was his responsibility as operator of the vehicle to insure that he could make it before advancing. The semi was clearly the aggressor in this case.
rlocicero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2016, 01:39 PM   #14
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlocicero View Post
I would agree if not for the fact that the tanker breached the double yellow line and the pickup was standing still in his properly designated lane. The pickup was in his designated lane and stopped advancing when he realized the problem. The Semi caused the incident by driving beyond the double yellow line and advancing before he verified that he had the clearance to do so. That is why they have those big mirrors. If there was any question, it was his responsibility as operator of the vehicle to insure that he could make it before advancing. The semi was clearly the aggressor in this case.
Except the Chevy made it around the corner while the semi was sitting there but the Dodge couldn't? Dodge driver's fault, he can't drive. The semi was sitting there long before the Dodge made the turn. Dodge driver must have gotten his license at Harbor Freight. Sorry, didn't mean to insult Harbor Freight.
Old 04-16-2016, 01:46 PM   #15
2007 WildCat 32QBBS

Quote:
Except the Chevy made it around the corner while the semi was sitting there but the Dodge couldn't? Dodge driver's fault, he can't drive. The semi was sitting there long before the Dodge made the turn. Dodge driver must have gotten his license at Harbor Freight. Sorry, didn't mean to insult Harbor Freight.
Agreed.
It is clear to any of the oncoming traffic (including the Dodge) of the tanker's intent and the Dodge driver should not of put his vehicle in harms way.
If I stop on the high speed railroad tracks, I kinda know what the outcome will be. Should I expect the train to stop before hitting me?
18CrewDually is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2016, 02:09 PM   #16

Quote:

If the Ram driver stopped on what appears to a 4-lane and was rear ended, he could have been sited for obstructing traffic. It would just be his luck that the driver behind him wasn't paying attention. The tanker driver, knowing the road conditions at that intersection, should have been making sure the Ram was able to get past him before starting forward. I would site the tanker driver for improper lane usage, leaving the scene of a property damage accident, and driving on a roadway prohibiting through traffic or truck traffic.
PenJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2016, 02:24 PM   #17

Quote:
The comparison here is a much shorter wheelbase SUV that barely made it past the truck and a big mama Dodge quad cab. There is no way these two vehicles have the same turning radius. The basic facts here are that the semi was on a roadway prohibited to his truck. This accident is one of the reasons for the posting. He chose to violate that law, then had to cross the double yellow lines at the intersection to make his wide turn. The semi driver, knowing the hazard he was causing, should have made sure the Ram was clear of him.

The Ram drive would have had to back up to get a better angle, but never got the chance. If I were the Ram driver and gotten a citation, I would have been in court and beat it hands down.
PenJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2016, 02:38 PM   #18
Done with this

See? It's always the truckers fault... Exactly why I can't wait to quit driving for a living...

Old 04-16-2016, 02:40 PM   #19

That Dodge PU driver would show the Same Courtesy to Us RV drivers that Must use part of the OTHER lane to make Some Turns,if you have Never used part of the Other lane to make a Turn "You have a Seasonal and never Towed your RV"! Youroo!!
Old 04-16-2016, 02:44 PM   #20
Mod free 5er

The driver of the Dodge should know his truck's turning radius and drive accordingly. It is apparent he certainly doesn't know how to drive. Could he not see his front end was under the tanker? Must have a depth perception problem as well as being a bad driver.