Old 07-31-2015, 06:44 PM   #11

GPS

GPS was what got the Lim family in trouble in Oregon. They missed the turn off, and used the GPS to recompute. It put them on a dirt road in winter, and he ended up dead.
I use my mapping program, either google maps or Maps, on my phone, and also have an app called Topo Maps. It is a topographic map program that has all the detail you need to determine where you are and what you are doing. It takes practice to see 3D on a 2D format, but after may years of reading too maps, I see every contour.
Also, that first part of advice, "know where you are going" is golden.
If you have an iPhone, it DOES NOT require cell signal to use the GPS features! so the topo map can track your progress.
Know where you are going, have maps, trust the map when it disagrees with your GPS, and when possible, SCOUT the route.

Old 08-01-2015, 12:16 AM   #12

GPS is good, up to a point...we learned in boating years ago to never rely on one method of navigation! Always know where you are going and confirm the route on at least two maps, gps, etc and stop at the first sign of doubt until you figure out where you are.

Old 08-01-2015, 01:10 AM   #13

X2 what Sirsea said. Most important on boats, since it is what you CANT see that will casue you the most issues.
Old 08-01-2015, 06:51 AM   #14

Ever give advice that doesn't work for yourself? GPS related.

I've also noticed on my Garmin if you set it for shortest rather than quickest route, you could end up on routes you never knew existed. I also enable avoidances such as unpaved roads.

On a side note, I was leaving Menominee traveling to my home in Gaylord. The ideal route is through the UP and crossing the Mackinac Bridge. Mr. Garmin routed me down through Chicago and up turning a 5 hour drive into 10. I thought, what the heck is going on here? Is the UP considered foreign land? I then realized I had the GPS set to avoid toll roads (Mackinac Bridge.) Bottom line, your settings dictate the route selected.
Old 08-01-2015, 07:35 AM   #15

Around here there are many roads marked not for tractor trailer / long RVs DO NOT go by GPS..... GPS in this area can be problematic.... has caused many issues........ Ask tractor trailer drivers that get caught on our curvy roads, after they are hung up, tow bills, and now get a large fine...........

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
2013 Puma Unleashed 356 QLB
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Sadie & Lillie Spoiled Rotten Boxers
Oaklevel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2015, 08:14 AM   #16

Last Feb., our first long trip, from Norfolk to Emporia Va. our GPS took us off on a dirt road :-) 10 miles later we were back to pavement and just a few miles from our CG. Fun.
Old 08-01-2015, 08:49 AM   #17
Phat Phrog Stunt Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by biznsa View Post
I've also noticed on my Garmin if you set it for shortest rather than quickest route, you could end up on routes you never knew existed. I also enable avoidances such as unpaved roads.

On a side note, I was leaving Menominee traveling to my home in Gaylord. The ideal route is through the UP and crossing the Mackinac Bridge. Mr. Garmin routed me down through Chicago and up turning a 5 hour drive into 10. I thought, what the heck is going on here? Is the UP considered foreign land? I then realized I had the GPS set to avoid toll roads (Mackinac Bridge.) Bottom line, your settings dictate the route selected.
Hey Hey, watch it!!!!

I usually use OnStar but I was site seeing in Arizona and using my Maps on the cell phone. We were looking for the Lost Dutchman Mine and it directed us down this road that looked OK. The further we got down this dirt road it seemed it like it was made for dirt bikes and Jeeps! I put it in 4 wheel drive and made it. We found out after, if we didn't turn off it was nice blacktop all the way there otherwise.
2015 129 nites
2016 63 nites
elind is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2015, 09:02 AM   #18

We have developed a system where we input our destination into the GPS (on smart phone, Garmin, etc.) then drop back to the paper map and check to make sure;
the route does not include goat paths, bike trails (we have had this happen!), residential streets, etc.
Before our trip this year we purchased the Mountain Directory East and West by R & R Publications. This is a GREAT resource intended for truckers which lists steep grades, low bridges, and other road characteristics which basically indicate DO NOT GO THERE. It saved us a much anxiety in Vermont and Virginia. I inquired of a local person about the road grade leaving town headed west (we came in from the east) as the Guide indicated it to be challenging. This person related that his Prius would make the climb but at 20 miles an hour; we chose to back-track a bit.
Old 08-01-2015, 07:34 PM   #19

I hate it when the GPS takes from a nice 2 lane to a dirt road,down to a really narrow two track road,down to a cow path,then down to a turkey trot.Then when you get to destination there is a two lane blacktop running right in front.
Old 08-01-2015, 07:48 PM   #20
Phat Phrog Stunt Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveandSue View Post
I hate it when the GPS takes from a nice 2 lane to a dirt road,down to a really narrow two track road,down to a cow path,then down to a turkey trot.Then when you get to destination there is a two lane blacktop running right in front.
YEP!!!

2015 129 nites
2016 63 nites
elind is online now   Reply With Quote