Old 07-30-2015, 09:57 AM   #1
I Break Everything

Ever give advice that doesn't work for yourself? GPS related.

I support using GPS gadgets to help with trip planning and getting around. I have built in GPS in my truck, which worked great for the years when we pulled our 5th wheel around. I really can't think of one problem we encountered that we couldn't get around. I always tell people, "don't relay solely on your GPS, look it up before you leave, have maps..."

Recently I started following the GPS threads for Garmin and the others. We settled on the RV 760LMT. Over all it performed well. I give it about a 7 out of 10. We have a Georgetown 351 DS towing a Honda CRV.

The "RV" part of this machine is a joke. If that's what anyone is depending on to get them somewhere...don't. Your phone will work fine or a "non" RV variety.

Lots of roads are, "Not Supported for Recreational Vehicle Access", meaning the machine has no idea. Some of the roads that are approved...WOW! We got in a major fix in Arkansas around Beaver Lake. I depended on my friend Garmin. Mistake. It suggested a couple of questionable turns i passed on after leaving our park. I finally took what looked to be a good turn. It went from paved, to gravel to dirt. Severe downhill and uphill grades as well as two major right acute angle turns in trees, downhill. I honestly thought we might tip over for a second. We unhitched the toad, my son directed the front, my wife the back and my daughter and myself inside. It will not be forgotten...after the couple of bad turns we were breathing again only to come to a tree, about 20" diameter arching across the road. I wanted to cry. My son climbed on the roof, yelled out, "Left, Right, Straight...!" I asked him how much did the a/cs clear it...he said about a centimeter or two. I now listen to my own advice re: GPS, here's a screen capture of the road. No one got pictures, we were in too much disbelief at the time. Click image for larger version

Name:	Garmin disaster.jpg
Views:	171
Size:	336.5 KB
ID:	84543

2015 Georgetown Forest River 351DS MH
2008 Keystone Cougar 293SAB 5th Wheel
2007 Jay Flight 30.5RLS 5th Wheel
2006 Jay Flight 29BHS TT
mikel68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2015, 10:19 AM   #2

WOW!!! That is one heck of a road! What was your direction of travel? Clockwise or counterclockwise?

Bruce

Old 07-30-2015, 01:28 PM   #3
I Break Everything

CCW.

2015 Georgetown Forest River 351DS MH
2008 Keystone Cougar 293SAB 5th Wheel
2007 Jay Flight 30.5RLS 5th Wheel
2006 Jay Flight 29BHS TT
mikel68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2015, 06:49 PM   #4

That is a trip every member of the family will be talking about forever.

TT-2015 Cherokee 274dbh TV-2010 Jeep Commander Limited
Old 07-30-2015, 09:26 PM   #5

Ever give advice that doesn't work for yourself? GPS related.

Last year we took a trip pulling my 5th wheel and I made the mistake of following the GPS. It's a lake I go to all the time but we decided to go to campground on the other side of the lake which required driving all the way around to an area I had never been to by road.

Long story short... Gps had me take a left on what looked like your normal 2 lane country road. Which then narrowed to a lane and 1/2 with no lines, then to a single lane and then to gravel with a cliff on one side. By the time I realized how bad it was, I was to far in and there was no place to turn around. I literally would have had to back up for probably a mile. At this point, my turn was less than a mile so I decided to continue on. When I got to the turn, it was about a 150 degree right hand turn that I couldn't have made in my truck, let alone with a camper. I had the go the opposite directions which ended up with me having to put it in 4x4 and drive through a field around a corn silo to get going the right direction. Only to be left with a 45 degree uphill climb on gravel.

That is by far the highest my transmission temperature has ever gotten and we were a few degrees from red lining and having to park it for a cool down.

When we got to the campground, I had branches hanging from the awning, the ladder and I lost the cover to one of my plumbing vents. Needless to say, it's a recurring joke now every trip we take.

For the record, I was humming the Friday the 13th theme as we drove through what I can only describe as a glorified logging road. To make matters even worse, the gps tried to take me back that road on the way home but when I past the turned and re calculated, to other route was all 4 lane highway and only a couple miles longer.

2000 Ford F-250 7.3 Powerstroke
2015 Sierra Select 32QBBS
2015 nights camping = 22

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
Old 07-31-2015, 01:48 PM   #6

three weeks ago i used my GPS for a trip. It is suppost to be for RVs. It took me on a road, 2 lane, that was very narrow, winding and very hilly. had to slow down to 30mph to stay on the road.
Old 07-31-2015, 02:30 PM   #7

I had a similar problem last year. my gps took me what looked like a good route but 1/2 way through the mountains I come across a sign saying trucks and rv not recommended past this point. Well there was not place to turn a 42 foot 5er around so I had to continue. ends up it was 6 miles of 27 degree drop with several cut backs. I was very happy I had my new f350 dully without it I don't think I would not have made it.
Old 07-31-2015, 03:14 PM   #8

For what it' worth

We rely on Microsoft Streets & Trips along with the Truckers Almanac.
The evening before we leave we plot the route on the computer then send it to our on board printer. This saves the panic that used to occur when the navigator would announce that she couldn't read my writing. We have a Tom Tom gps that allows us to change the route in accordance with the printed page which is also a great help. Also, if the navigator wishes, he or she can plug a window mount gps receiver into the computer and follow along in real time.
Only problem is that Microsoft has decided not to continue with Streets and Trips so there won't be any more updates. Haven't checked yet but hope there is a similar program out there.
Old 07-31-2015, 03:22 PM   #9

Send a message via MSN to GreenImp
A couple weeks ago I went from the West Side of Glacier National Park to the East Side. Google Maps said to take Montana Hwy 49 but the factory navigation in my truck (GMC) said to go on into Browning before turning. I figured I'd take Hwy 49...that is until I approached the turn off and saw a sign stating no vehicles over 21' allowed.
Dad's old 1968 Empi Imp (recently recovered from under 21 years worth of boxes/dust)
GreenImp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2015, 04:45 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikel68 View Post
I support using GPS gadgets to help with trip planning and getting around. I have built in GPS in my truck, which worked great for the years when we pulled our 5th wheel around. I really can't think of one problem we encountered that we couldn't get around. I always tell people, "don't relay solely on your GPS, look it up before you leave, have maps..."

Recently I started following the GPS threads for Garmin and the others. We settled on the RV 760LMT. Over all it performed well. I give it about a 7 out of 10. We have a Georgetown 351 DS towing a Honda CRV.

The "RV" part of this machine is a joke. If that's what anyone is depending on to get them somewhere...don't. Your phone will work fine or a "non" RV variety.

Lots of roads are, "Not Supported for Recreational Vehicle Access", meaning the machine has no idea. Some of the roads that are approved...WOW! We got in a major fix in Arkansas around Beaver Lake. I depended on my friend Garmin. Mistake. It suggested a couple of questionable turns i passed on after leaving our park. I finally took what looked to be a good turn. It went from paved, to gravel to dirt. Severe downhill and uphill grades as well as two major right acute angle turns in trees, downhill. I honestly thought we might tip over for a second. We unhitched the toad, my son directed the front, my wife the back and my daughter and myself inside. It will not be forgotten...after the couple of bad turns we were breathing again only to come to a tree, about 20" diameter arching across the road. I wanted to cry. My son climbed on the roof, yelled out, "Left, Right, Straight...!" I asked him how much did the a/cs clear it...he said about a centimeter or two. I now listen to my own advice re: GPS, here's a screen capture of the road. No one got pictures, we were in too much disbelief at the time. Attachment 84543
Use my GPS all the time, I sometimes get a little nervous so I go to the map. Live in NW ARKANSAS so I have some geodetic survey maps get a good idea of terrain.