Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-20-2017, 08:27 AM   #1

Ever had Someone Tamper with RV while Traveling?

After our long trip back from Topsail last month and battling the horrific traffic leaving the beach on a Saturday, we opted to get a hotel room after 15 days int he camper mainly due to the heat that day. I parked in the Hotel parking lot where directed out of the way and made sure the Fridge was working and all that jazz given the fact we I had 15lbs of fresh gulf shrimp in the freezer. Went out the next morning to get ready to leave and the fridge was flashing. First thing I thought of was the propane ran out. How could that be, but I guess it was possible. Went out to swap the tanks only to find both valves had been closed. Keep in mind, the gas valve was on for 2 weeks running the water heater so me accidentally turning them off was not an option. I was pissed. Checked all the hitching, and tires again and all looked good. I am dreading now pulling the cap on the sewer outlet to hook the hose up in a few weeks. People suck. Assuming they knew that the food could spoil, hence turning off the propane.
Nights Camped 2016: 32
ryand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2017, 08:38 AM   #2

I haven't but the wife used to make fun of me because I had a habit of doing a walk around anytime we stopped and were away from the vehicle and TT. I told her it's always good because people have been know to mess with stuff and just good driver responsibility. I stopped doing it though. Now just this morning at 7:45 no less bunch of boys older 14-16 playing in my campsite using the 5er to run around during tag I guess. Annoyed the heck out of me and wanted to start a thread on it since wife and daughter still in bed so I am bored. However other than my nerves I don't think they we're hurting anything but I was hoping I locked everything up.
Old 07-20-2017, 08:40 AM   #3

Were the "Shrimp" still Frozen? Youroo!!
Old 07-20-2017, 08:45 AM   #4

That's when it would be nice to have a loud siren go off about the time the unit was being touched anywhere!
SkipnTerri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2017, 08:47 AM   #5

All it takes is one stupid knucklehead who thinks he is being funny by disconnecting your hitch to ruin a day. I also do a thorough pref-flight, thru-flight, and post-flight whenever I camp. I can't take the risk that some mischievous teens messed with my camper overnight
Skyliner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2017, 08:51 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by youroo View Post
Were the "Shrimp" still Frozen? Youroo!!
Yes They were!
Nights Camped 2016: 32
ryand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2017, 08:54 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkipnTerri View Post
That's when it would be nice to have a loud siren go off about the time the unit was being touched anywhere!
I agree!
RV_Fan44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2017, 12:06 PM   #8

I had a little boy who was playing outside a time share I was visiting family at take the emergency brake key. He was 4 and truly did not know better. But the folks here at FR determined why my batteries were draining every 8 hours even after a fresh charge. When I discovered the issue while using some choice words the family heard me. They cam out and said is this it? It was with the wire & all. They profusely apologized. to me. I also did in fact shut of a 5vers propane in Colorado at a hotel about 8 months ago. As they had increased in altitude the tanks were literally blowing gas out the relief port. I then went to the clerk at the desk in CO Springs Hyatt and we tracked down the owner. My concern was a fire. The owner of the 5th wheel thanked me and bled the tanks for altitude.
TonyShope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2017, 12:06 PM   #9

I saw a story a few years ago about someone pulling the hitch pin on the jaws of a fiver hitch when the driver was having lunch at a truck stop. True? I don't know, but since then I use a padlock rather than a hitch pin.
Now:2018 Arctic Fox 27-5L
2008 Ford F-250 Long Bed Diesel
Total of 30 Months on the Road Since 2008
DrLewie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2017, 12:28 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryand View Post
After our long trip back from Topsail last month and battling the horrific traffic leaving the beach on a Saturday, we opted to get a hotel room after 15 days int he camper mainly due to the heat that day. I parked in the Hotel parking lot where directed out of the way and made sure the Fridge was working and all that jazz given the fact we I had 15lbs of fresh gulf shrimp in the freezer. Went out the next morning to get ready to leave and the fridge was flashing. First thing I thought of was the propane ran out. How could that be, but I guess it was possible. Went out to swap the tanks only to find both valves had been closed. Keep in mind, the gas valve was on for 2 weeks running the water heater so me accidentally turning them off was not an option. I was pissed. Checked all the hitching, and tires again and all looked good. I am dreading now pulling the cap on the sewer outlet to hook the hose up in a few weeks. People suck. Assuming they knew that the food could spoil, hence turning off the propane.
This past January, while on the way to Arizona, we opted to stay in a hotel in Tulsa rather than in the 5th wheel (it was 7 degrees). Overnight, someone broke two windows on our truck and stole a bunch of stuff, but didn't mess with the trailer.

We've never had anybody bother our truck or trailer in a campground.
2021 Chevy Silverado 3500HD DRW 4X4 Duramax
“It's not how old you are, it's how you are old.”Jules Renard
"It's not the years...it's the mileage." - Indiana Jones
Capt. Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2017, 12:37 PM   #11

Never on the road, but last year at one of our local CG's...in one night 5 tool boxes and a dozen or so power cords were either disconnected or cut off the TT's. This year has been a rash of the "Expensive" coolers being snatched...the Yetti is top of the list.
TheWolfPaq82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2017, 12:47 PM   #12

Maybe an inept, uninformed overzealous do-gooder doing you a favor? Never had tampering in a CG, most people there conform to an unwritten rule. Not so in motels, have had tampering at my door there.

2013 Keystone Raptor TH
2013 Ford F350 Dually TV
Rokslinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2017, 01:01 PM   #13

Never had anyone tamper with anything we owned but two years ago someone folded up the steps on a fifth wheel parked overnight at our local Walmart. In the morning the lady took a terrible fall and was seriously hurt. Since then I always look first before stepping out the door.

Phil, Heather & Olaf the Boxer
Ontario Canada
Lexington 283GTS
oldsmasma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2017, 01:56 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryand View Post
I haven't BUT I also purchased cam locks online and have everything locked up, including the propane tanks.
Old 07-20-2017, 01:59 PM   #15

last fall we stayed at the Elk's lodge out in San Jose, CA for ten days while visiting family. Been there before the year before. They have a large park that provides around 30 sites for traveling members. We parked next to the camp host. We would leave each day at around 9am and returned around 9pm. Never saw anyone around much other than the usual lodge traffic.
A week after we left there and were in TX the wife reached for her jewelry box that she kept in the glove box with her essential travel items and it was gone. There were no forced signs of entry, no slim jim marks on the window rubbers or anything of that sort. We are anal about locking the doors so we do not believe one was open but certainly someone got into the passenger door and then the glove box . Our check book was directly below the jewelry box but it was never taken nor was anything else in the coach.
Hate to think that another Elk member stooped so low to do this but there were very few other folks around at that lodge. Guess we have been fortunate as this is the only thing that has ever happened to us on the road and we have been in just about every state in our travels over the last 9 years.

wogden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2017, 02:01 PM   #16

We pulled into a parking lot where there were other 5th wheels to get a few hours rest and while we were sleeping someone tried to steal our spare tire that fits up under the rig and is cranked down. They got it half way down and must have gotten scared off because that is how I found it during my morning walk around. It now has a cable and lock securing it to the frame.

2017 Flagstaff 8529 IKBS Classic Platinum Edition
Beauty and Beast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2017, 02:37 PM   #17

Never had anyone mess with ours, but we do not stay in Motels when we have the TT. One of the benefits of traveling with a big dog. She lets us know if someone is messing with the TT or the truck.

2015 23 BD Gray Wolf
2008 Dodge Ram 2500 TX Edition 2015 - 7 nights, 2 trips, 2016 - 2 trip, 24 nights, 2017 1 trip, 3 nights 2018 1 trip, 93 nights

mdstudey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2017, 03:29 PM   #18
Too old to be too smart

Doesn't have to be a BIG dog to do that job.

Pop

2000 F-350 7.3L CC/LB 4WD Lariat 3.73's
SpringerPop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2017, 03:36 PM   #19

I have a husky type dog..she barks very little. The outside dogs bark a lot...I got robbed a few weeks ago and I pay more attention now. The husky(inside dog) never made a sound when my truck got broke into nor when someone rolled the front yard a few weeks ago. We run fans and DW has me immune to noises if you get my drift.
born in Texas.... live in Arkansas
Iwannacamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2017, 03:37 PM   #20

"I saw a story a few years ago about someone pulling the hitch pin on the jaws of a fiver hitch when the driver was having lunch at a truck stop. True? I don't know, but since then I use a padlock rather than a hitch pin."

Have not had anyone tamper with our 5th wheel yet but I have started putting a padlock on the hitch pin on the jaws of our hitch too. Saw a couple on the side of the road with the 5th wheel sitting on the bed of the truck as they had accidentally released the jaws on the hitch. Damaged the truck and trailer considerably. Thought that if they could accidentally do it so could I or someone out to do harm could easily do it. With the lock on there I have to intentionally unlock it to release the hitch.
Gary Dup is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
travel