Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-24-2017, 03:28 PM   #61

Having possession of our TT for only 3 days, I don't have any stories to share about tampering.

BUT, when my wife and I were leaving an RV dealer last month our truck was no longer in the parking lot. We were like WTF, not again (truck stolen New Year's Eve, but recovered 4 days later). Informed dealer management and police. Dealer security pulled up video of the parking lot and sure enough a mechanic had a key from another GMC that worked on mine. By the time we figured out what happened and went back to the maintenance bay, we had a brake controller installed, FREE.

Also, if you're approaching Albuquerque and thinking of staying the night at a hotel/motel with the RV... keep going.
Days camped 2021: 19
Days camped 2020: 18
Days camped 2019: 17
Chief T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2017, 05:18 PM   #62

As I understand it, the exterior door to the LP tanks may not be locked due to some federal highway safety rule. Now securing the tanks inside the compartment with cables or padlocks would only slow a firefighter if the tanks were a problem. Every engine company has bolt cutters or a cutting device of some kind.
dkelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2017, 06:48 PM   #63

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief T View Post
Having possession of our TT for only 3 days, I don't have any stories to share about tampering.

BUT, when my wife and I were leaving an RV dealer last month our truck was no longer in the parking lot. We were like WTF, not again (truck stolen New Year's Eve, but recovered 4 days later). Informed dealer management and police. Dealer security pulled up video of the parking lot and sure enough a mechanic had a key from another GMC that worked on mine. By the time we figured out what happened and went back to the maintenance bay, we had a brake controller installed, FREE.

Also, if you're approaching Albuquerque and thinking of staying the night at a hotel/motel with the RV... keep going.
Wish you would've mentioned the whole Albuquerque thing, spent a night at Cracker Barrel, and this was after we left WalMart, the most uncomfortable night to date, of my life! Should've kept driving.
Old 07-25-2017, 08:31 PM   #64

Quote:
Originally Posted by markb5900 View Post
Maybe it is the NRA sticker on my truck (LOL), but after more then 30 years of motor homes and trailers, I have never had anyone touch my rigs.

There are parts of the country where having an NRA or gun manufacturer sticker on your vehicle is an invitation.

Guns are #1 on the list of things to steal.

I remember the days when you DIDN'T have to lock up everything. Now, if you don't it's just a matter of time before you become a victim.

I lost two batteries within 48 hours of installing them from my FENCED back yard. Now everything is locked when I'm not actually using or servicing it. My "Lock Bill" in one month alone was almost $200 securing batteries, propane, generator, extra propane tanks for generator, gas cans, hitch (both truck mounted and trailer ball socket).

Now if I can just remember which key goes to what

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2017, 09:06 PM   #65

Never in a XC or while traveling, but my 5er was in a NJ body shop when it, and several other rigs were broken into and the tv sets and other stuff was stolen. Our losses totaled over $800. Shop reimbursed me completely within a week.
Now:2018 Arctic Fox 27-5L
2008 Ford F-250 Long Bed Diesel
Total of 30 Months on the Road Since 2008
DrLewie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2017, 09:16 PM   #66

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrLewie View Post
Never in a XC or while traveling, but my 5er was in a NJ body shop when it, and several other rigs were broken into and the tv sets and other stuff was stolen. Our losses totaled over $800. Shop reimbursed me completely within a week.
Sounds like an honest business. I bet they get back every dime they spent to compensate their customers because people remember that and they will come back and spend more money.
Old 07-25-2017, 09:17 PM   #67
Just as confused as you

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeysotp View Post
I work in a business park and I keep my camper parked behind the building. Came in to work yesterday to find that thieves cut the catalytic converter out of our delivery van and 3 vehicles at the company next door. Of course I immediately checked the camper and it doesn't seem that they touched it. I'm kind of surprised they haven't even stolen my propane bottles yet. I need to get locks on them I guess but not sure that is going to stop them anyway if they want them.
The platinum in the catalytic converters is worth a lot of money. I retired from a scrap recycling yard in Madison and we would get converters by the truckload. One year after cordless sawzalls became popular there was a lot of businesses that got hit by thieves. We were contacted by the Madison PD and sheriffs dept to be on the lookout for new scrappers with only catalytic converters. The last I heard a converter was worth more than $100.
Camping since 1989, Seasonal since 2000.
Car Shredder Op/Tech, Scrap Metal Recycling - retired
Scrapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2017, 09:28 PM   #68

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitanMike View Post
There are parts of the country where having an NRA or gun manufacturer sticker on your vehicle is an invitation.

Guns are #1 on the list of things to steal.
I use to put my retired military plates on the truck and vehicles and NRA stickers, I renewed the plates and removed the stickers fearing that we were a trap, I always carry and have more for back-up, but what you say is true...they wait till your not around then they strike! makes perfect sense to stay low and what the thugs don't know is great, what they pursue is a hole new game

2013 Forest River Salem/Sport Fifth WHL
2017 GMC Sierra 2500 Duramax/Allison
Curt Q20 Fifth wheel, Champion Inverter3500
US Army Retired
Bikersarge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 09:49 AM   #69

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrapper View Post
The platinum in the catalytic converters is worth a lot of money. I retired from a scrap recycling yard in Madison and we would get converters by the truckload. One year after cordless sawzalls became popular there was a lot of businesses that got hit by thieves. We were contacted by the Madison PD and sheriffs dept to be on the lookout for new scrappers with only catalytic converters. The last I heard a converter was worth more than $100.
yeah that's great. some crackhead got $100 and we paid $400 for a new one and lost the use of our only delivery van for a day and a half. Scumbags....

Nights Camped, 2015: 23, 2016: 27, 2017: 29, 2018: 22, 2019: 29
mikeysotp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 07:39 PM   #70

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeysotp View Post
yeah that's great. some crackhead got $100 and we paid $400 for a new one and lost the use of our only delivery van for a day and a half. Scumbags....
Yes, and when he ODs police or ems bring him back with Narcan paid for by taxpayers so he can do it again. Seems like a waste of taxdollars to me.
CaptnJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 11:13 PM   #71

Quote:
Originally Posted by Photogirl View Post
is it possible your water heater and your reefer we're both running on electric and you already had the valves on the tanks closed before you left on your trip

I wish this was the case...the valve was open as we traveled 9 hours or so running the fridge. It was intentional my guess. That particular hotel was nearly full by the time we arrived. My guess is that it was someone angry we took a room with a hotel in tow. I get it...but still a crappy move.
Nights Camped 2016: 32
ryand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2017, 11:40 AM   #72

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWolfPaq82 View Post
Never on the road, but last year at one of our local CG's...in one night 5 tool boxes and a dozen or so power cords were either disconnected or cut off the TT's. This year has been a rash of the "Expensive" coolers being snatched...the Yetti is top of the list.
That is the very reason I won't have one. I can buy a whole lot of ice and not worry about someone taking my Coleman before it equals the cost of a Yeti or RTIC.
Old 07-28-2017, 02:14 PM   #73
rvb

[oops, wrong thread]
rvb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2017, 06:55 PM   #74

Had someone open then close my black tank valve so only a little mess. I check after dumping to be sure valve worked right when I let office know about spill they said this was an ongoing problem. Someone didn't like weekenders.
merlinhomeauto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2017, 07:24 PM   #75

Quote:
Originally Posted by merlinhomeauto View Post
Had someone open then close my black tank valve so only a little mess. I check after dumping to be sure valve worked right when I let office know about spill they said this was an ongoing problem. Someone didn't like weekenders.
Where were you at?
Wobbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2017, 08:20 PM   #76

Lancaster Pa.
merlinhomeauto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2017, 08:40 PM   #77

Quote:
Originally Posted by merlinhomeauto View Post
Lancaster Pa.
That kind of activity gets my dander up. Wo be the person...
Wobbles is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
travel