Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-25-2018, 11:06 PM   #1

Ever notice how much clothes weigh when loaded in your RV

At one of my stops this last month while camping I was talking to a fellow camper. He mentioned something about how much clothing weighed and at the time I didn't think much of it. THEN, I started unloading my TT.

Two small closets and two side "wardrobe" cabinets on either side of the Murphy Bed were filled with clothes. Ditto for the storage compartment above the outside kitchen that opens into the bathroom.

Every armload I hauled out of the trailer seemed heavier than the last. In all I am guessing I hauled a good 200# of clothes out as I am winterizing.

One thing certain for me, next month long trip I will be limiting myself to a lot less in the clothing department. Have no idea why I packed as much as I did. Probably forgot that there are laundromats along the way

BTW, that was just for ME. Could you imagine what it would be like for those who have a spouse and four kids, two of which statistically would be daughters.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2018, 11:13 PM   #2
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitanMike View Post
BTW, that was just for ME. Could you imagine what it would be like for those who have a spouse and four kids, two of which statistically would be daughters.
I can imagine! I just moved campers back in February and moving all of the clothing was part of it. We are fairly minimal in the clothing department but it still adds up.
Old 10-25-2018, 11:17 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ependydad View Post
I can imagine! I just moved campers back in February and moving all of the clothing was part of it. We are fairly minimal in the clothing department but it still adds up.
You have daughter(s) too, right.

My grand daughter went back to college this fall and it took 3 people and a pickup truck to move her into her dorm room. Not sure where she put everything because her dorm room is about the size of an average pickup bed.

Old 10-26-2018, 11:09 AM   #4

I bought a baby scale with a 44# max a while back for weighing packages for shipment.
After my CAT weighing, I pulled out as much as I could from the TV & TT. Those big hotel size thick bath towels add up weight, too, about 5 # each! Decided we didn’t need all the extra for the grandkids and others. 4 towels is plenty. I even cut the metal silverware amount in half, mostly use plastic anyways.
Boomerweps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2018, 11:49 AM   #5

Imagine how that figures in with 3500# capacity axles, C rated 205 75R- 14 tires a 7000 lb empty and 8K gross trailer and 975# cargo capacity. etc.
jeff64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2018, 11:49 AM   #6
Denver To Yuma In 90 Days

I love it when people say that when they are trying to justify a bigger camper for their tow vehicle that they will only put 500 pounds into it and they are profound about that number.

And as you found out...clothes weigh a lot more than it might seem.

And those shoes...and those pots and pans...and those 30-packs of beer...and those tool boxes...and those...

I'll bet most of us are carrying around 1500-2000 pounds of crap that we will never use!

JohnD10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2018, 11:54 AM   #7
Who Dares, Wins

Yes so lets look at this.. Me, about 25 lbs of Columbia trail pants, one pair of hikers and a few t-shirts... DW and DD... 14 pairs of shoes... 25 pairs of socks and underwear, 14 pairs of pants and 30 shirts. Mind you we are only away for the weekend!

Pat, Jen, Heather & Sapphire, the head mouser.
2015 Chevy HD D-Max
2022 Impression 315MB
doc73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2018, 01:49 PM   #8

Being Canadians we have a short season. Every spring when we open up the moho I do a spring cleaning and go through everything. My rule is that if I didn't use it last season and can't foresee it being used - out it goes. Even in our small moho we have empty cupboards. And by the way guys - I pack enough clothes for ten days. I don't even own 14 pairs of shoes lol. I pack 2 pairs and rain boots.

Phil, Heather & Olaf the Boxer
Ontario Canada
Lexington 283GTS
oldsmasma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2018, 02:15 PM   #9

Last time we were headed for Florida I decided to weigh everything and put it into a spreadsheet so, a) I knew how much weight I was adding and b) it helped placement and balancing when loading. Total was a tad under 900 lb - Shoes and clothes were just under 120 lb

On paper I was under my GCVWR

I did go to the CAT scale and I was just over 1000 lb under my limit
Old 10-26-2018, 02:17 PM   #10
Multi-Slacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldsmasma View Post
empty cupboards. And by the way guys - I pack enough clothes for ten days. I don't even own 14 pairs of shoes lol. I pack 2 pairs and rain boots.
What are rain boots? I remember galoshes from my days in snow country but not rain boots.
Old 10-26-2018, 03:07 PM   #11

Empty the pockets?��
Max Tow (10 speed, 3:73, 11,700lbs), HD Payload (2440lbs)
2015 Puma 253 FBS
2013 Hyundai Santa Fe
2000 Honda EX 400, Rad Rover 6 Plus
Palinduff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2018, 03:49 PM   #12
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royston View Post
Last time we were headed for Florida I decided to weigh everything and put it into a spreadsheet so, a) I knew how much weight I was adding and b) it helped placement and balancing when loading. Total was a tad under 900 lb - Shoes and clothes were just under 120 lb

On paper I was under my GCVWR

I did go to the CAT scale and I was just over 1000 lb under my limit
Any chance you can email me that spreadsheet?
Old 10-26-2018, 03:54 PM   #13

A learning curve

Before the devil led us to RV we had a sailboat. In short, we learned quickly re the subject of what you need. There is a Facebook group on RV storage. In one way it is funny, in another scary as people find more ways to add to the GVW. As was pointed out in the beginning there are laundromats. It has been noted on the FB group, there are grocery stores. We take two weeks worth of clothing and two pairs of shoes and one pair of sandals. Would take "nice" clothes just in case, never need them. We moved from a 19 foot to a 251 RKS. the cabinets over the couch and dining area are all but empty. The bedroom storage is not half full. I preach simplicity, but no one listens.
andy10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2018, 04:03 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by doc73 View Post
Yes so lets look at this.. Me, about 25 lbs of Columbia trail pants, one pair of hikers and a few t-shirts... DW and DD... 14 pairs of shoes... 25 pairs of socks and underwear, 14 pairs of pants and 30 shirts. Mind you we are only away for the weekend!
After this last trip, and the grand revelation at unloading, I've decided my next trip will get two pairs of jeans, a sweat shirt, a couple of flannel shirts, and underwear/socks for two weeks. One heavy, waterproof coat, and one light jacket. That should fit nicely into one closet.

One thing to note, this trip was a "shooting trip" and I did have considerable weight in "equipment" with two bags containing just under 75# of ammunition. Once I left the range in NM the load was considerably lighter.

Old 10-26-2018, 04:12 PM   #15
D W

Quote:
Originally Posted by doc73 View Post
Holy Crap!
"...exhaust fluid? We don't need no stinkin' exhaust fluid"
D W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2018, 04:28 PM   #16
Director, FROG

I just took the DOT physical required periodically for my CDL yesterday. When I stepped on the scale, I realized that my clothes apparently weigh A LOT when I'm wearing them.

Bob Byrne
Director, Forest River Owners' Group (FROG)
frog@forestriverinc.com
www.forestriverfrog.com
F.R.O.G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2018, 05:37 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by CurtPutnam View Post
What are rain boots? I remember galoshes from my days in snow country but not rain boots.
How about "Wellies"? Short for Wellingtons.

amblt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2018, 07:01 PM   #18
Who Dares, Wins

Quote:
Originally Posted by F.R.O.G. View Post
I just took the DOT physical required periodically for my CDL yesterday. When I stepped on the scale, I realized that my clothes apparently weigh A LOT when I'm wearing them.
Now that is funny..

Pat, Jen, Heather & Sapphire, the head mouser.
2015 Chevy HD D-Max
2022 Impression 315MB
doc73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2018, 07:10 PM   #19

Hey stop putting the blame on women! I am constantly trying to tell my husband he does NOT need 3 EXTRA pairs of jeans, 10 different shirts and 3 pairs of shoes for a 3 night trip.

2018 T21TBHW A-Frame
2012 Nissan Pathfinder
tlspencer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2018, 07:17 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by F.R.O.G. View Post

I always thought it was something else that causing the scales to go up. Now I can tell DW it’s the clothes that make me poffy
spock123 is offline   Reply With Quote