Old 06-07-2010, 10:41 PM   #1
Ever rent out your RV

I've been approached by a acquaintance of mine with somewhat of a proposition. This guy used to be my mechanic on my HTT (which is for sale if anyone is interested), since the RV shop I went to downsized he's moved to the local Camping World store. I run into him occasionally and we are friendly to each other. He's very knowledgeable about RV's and seems to be a decent enough guy.

The last time I was in the store he asked me for my home phone number and an email address where he could contact me about an opportunity. I pressed him a little and found out that he purchased a RV rental franchise. I wasn't sure what he was getting at when he told me, I wondered if he wanted me to work for him or maybe help him with his computers or whatever because I'm in I.T. I took his card and off I went.

Well, he called me tonight. He asked me if I would be interested in renting out my RV when I wasn't using it. This company (the name escapes me at the moment) is a national RV rental company that uses privately owned RVs as their fleet. When a customer calls for a reservation, he checks the schedules that his "owners" have given him and makes the deal. According to him, while the RV is rented any issues are handled by the company's insurance company, anything that the renter breaks, the RV company will fix, etc...

Apparently the RV owner get's a 40% cut and typically these things rent at $550/day. That's $220/day that the "owners" get. 1 week and I've made $1500-ish dollars.

Anyway, I was wondering if anyone has ever done anything like this, my wife and I have our reservations about the whole thing. We use it quite a bit, we're out in our RV at least twice a month. We sorta have it setup for us, our stuff, we clean it the way we like to clean it, etc... it's like our little vacation home on wheels.

Assuming everything is legit, insurance, payment etc... Would or have any of you considered this?

2000 Forest River Reflections 327s DP
Toad = 2009 VW Tiguan.
Coupla bikes, coupla dogs, coupla 30-somethings wishing they were retired.
Prepilot_3ck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 10:52 PM   #2
I wouldn't rent mine out. Check your insurance, it may not cover renters. And besides, i have seen what renters do to homes and apartments over the years as a slum lord. That would be the last thing I would do.

Ken and Velda
Dahlgren, VA.
2008 Georgetown XL 378
2010 Ford Escape Limited
kvtaylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 10:56 PM   #3
I kind of have to agree with kvtaylor probably not a good idea you know what they say "Nothing parties like a rental"
2008 8296SS Rockwood Signature Ultralite
2002 Silverado 2500HD extended cab
chevy02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 11:01 PM   #4
AKA Bluebird
Send a message via Yahoo to dimurrrw
Originally Posted by Prepilot_3ck View Post

Assuming everything is legit, insurance, payment etc... Would or have any of you considered this?

No way!!!!
Happy Camping! ///// Richard D.
2006 4x4 Ford 250 SD / 2007 Flagstaff 827 FLS
One very patient wife and one furry child who travels with us. Forty-two years of trailering and camping, and I still have a blast.

dimurrrw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 11:50 PM   #5
When I was in my teens my dad started an RV rental business out of our home. Mostly to make the new Fleetwood Jamboree we had just bought pay for itself and for a tax write off. We already had a Winnebago Mini Winnie and we surprisingly kept both of them rented almost full time. He required a very substantial "rider" from the renters insurance policy. Now I don't know what this means but evidently insurance companies will not issue a rider to rent something unless the individual is responsible enough to be insured for the amount my dad required.

The business lost money for 3 out of 5 years, enough that we could write off the loss on income taxes but not be called a "hobby" I'm not all that up on the tax stuff but I am sure that Wnytaxman is.

Over the 5 years we had a few bad apples but never any damage. The Jamboree paid for itself in that 5 year time. At about the 4 year mark we purchased a new Winnebago Chieftan 31' Class A. My dad would only rent it out to the repeat customers that we had that he knew to be very responsible. Only issue we had with that one was when a professional truck driver backed it into a tree and bent the ladder on the rear. No other damage and he was so embarrassed. He paid out of pocket for a new ladder.

Now depreciation was another tax write off and again I'm not all that up on how it works. At the end of 5 years the Jamboree was paid for and at 7 years the Cheiftan was about 3/4 paid for. Consider buying a $100k rig and having it pay for itself in 5 years!

I would not want to rent mine via someone else's rental business though. The only way I would do it is to buy an RV that I DONT intend on keeping at the end of 5 or 7 years with the idea that it will pay for MY RV in the long run and I would run the business myself.

This same type of thing is done with aircraft all the time. The owner of the aircraft allows the local Aircraft rental business on the field to rent their plane out and they get a cut. I believe it's called a Lease Back with aircraft and it is usually NEVER a good deal for the aircraft owner only the rental business that is getting half the cut without any of the liability.

I would hope that for the 60% that the rental company is keeping that they are doing all the upkeep and repairs on the rig when it needs it, including winterizing, oil changes, new brakes, tires, etc.

Consider also that these type of things usually have a maximum use limitation on how much YOU can use your own rig. Be sure to ask the questions. If this is a rig you intend on keeping I wouldn't do it. But if it's a way to get you into something new or nicer in the future then by all means I would because I wouldn't care if someone had thier pets in it or whatever.
"I can fix it, and if I can't fix it, I can fix it so no one can fix it!"
Ed & Wendy
2009 Georgetown 378TS | 1998 Jeep Wrangler | 1998 Skeeter ZX202C
Nights camped in 2009: 53 | Nights camped in 2010: 55
NWJeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 06:54 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus
NwJeeper has had good experience with the rental thing, but I am like the majority and don't think I would ever do it, because:

I like my pull-behind motel room so I don't get bed bug bites, or wonder what has been on the sheets.

If there is a splash near the toilet, I know it is mine.

I don't worry about my fresh water supply being contaminated because someone decided to unhook the water supply after they messed with the waste hose without washing their hands.

Shall I continue.

Chap , DW Joy, and Fur Baby Sango
2006 Ford F150 Super Cab 4x4
2008 Surveyor 263
MtnGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 10:14 AM   #7
I agree with the majority here. I wouldn't trust renting it out to anyone but myself. I've spent a lot of my personal time and money into getting the camper just the way I like it...wouldn't want someone else breaking or messing it up in 1 trip, and then rely on some unknown service company to get it all back the way it was. You know that it'll never make it that far and this will only lead to more wasted time and aggravation on your part.

Also, besides a stranger camping in your rig and sleeping in your bed, would you also trust someone you don't know to drive/tow your rig, especially if they obviously don't own one and are probably not experienced.

No way, no how, not never!!!

'07 Rockwood 8281SS 5th Wheel
'07 Silverado 2500HD LMM Duramax Diesel / Allison 1000 CC 2LT S/B
Reese 15K 5th Wheel Hitch w/ Kwik-Slide
E.S.P. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 11:19 AM   #8
Think Robin Williams in RV!
2007 Surveyor SV291
Equil-I-zer hitch
2005 Durango Hemi
gregm59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 12:26 PM   #9
We have occasionally "lent" out our various camping equipment over the years to close friends. These are people who we trust to look after our things . . . but even with the best intentions things have repeatedly come back broken: (cause they didn't remember our orientation) . . .wet, rusted, mouldy: (because they left in in a bag, and didn't tell us)
Two observations . . .
-RV's are complicated . . .
-If you don't own it, you do not value it.

We don't even lend out the Rv anymore. We are not bitter, just wiser.

Lady Wendolyn

2003 21 ft Forrest River Shamrock

Manitoba Canada
ladywendolyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 01:16 PM   #10
Site Team
Yes, RVs are way too complicated to rent or loan out. Lots of things to remember and a sequence in which they should be done. What do you think the odds are of someone pulling out with the stabilizers still down? Running fresh water low and burning out the electric water heating element? Backing into an unseen tree limb? Make your own list. It would be extensive and possibly expensive!

2012 F150 FX4 Ecoboost, 2016 Surveyor 274BHS
2003 Yamaha FJR1300, Demco Premiere Slider
1969 John Deere 1020, 1940 Ford 9N, 1948 Ford 8N
Jonsered 535, Can of WD-40, Duct Tape
Red Green coffee mugs
acadianbob is offline   Reply With Quote