Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-05-2008, 12:04 AM   #1

Everyone Happy with their Hide a Bed Air Mattress?

8 weekends in the new Sandpiper 332 RLD and we finally got around to checking out this option we ordered. Built in air compressor pumps it up and deflates it just fine, but? We seem to have an air leak, and become uncomfortable on it in two hours or less. Wife thinks I have something open/lose on it, but don't see anything but the valve and cap at the end of it. No book with all the papers. Anyone else order this option on their Forest River Product? Having good luck with it?

Highwayman
Rog
highwayman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2008, 04:58 AM   #2

Your wife may be correct. I have a Flagstaff 831krss with the airbed option. The first night we used it was fine, the second night it deflated. The third night I made sure the valve was tight and it didnt leak so that had to be the problem.
eandsphotography is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2008, 11:29 AM   #3

thanks, I'll give the cap a twist at the end of the bed and maybe thats all I need to do.

Highwayman
highwayman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2008, 02:20 PM   #4

Smile

We have that option in out 08 Flagstaff 831BHSS. It has been used on 2 occassions. Once for 3 nites and once for 2 nites. Have not had a problem. Hope our luck holds out for a long time.
Mickey
Mickey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2008, 10:16 PM   #5
Cyber Phrenologist

On the walkthru for our Rockwood 8280SS the dealer rep said that the rubber material in the matress tends to strech the first few times it's used, leading the owner to believe there is a slow leak. If it's still doing after 10 or so nights sleep, then maybe you have a leak.

We've played with ours but not slept on it. I think it might sleep best not quite fully inflated. And it tends to bounce around a bit when somebody rolls over. My son gets to try it out next week and I will report his opinion.

Radio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2008, 06:39 AM   #6

We have the Flagstaff 831krss and used the air mattress on all of our trips. ( 9 trips so far ) two of those trips were for a week at a time. The first time it was used it did go a little flat. ( maybe the rubber as Radio said ) but after that we have had no issues with it. Actually both of ours work fine.
2004 Chev.Avalanche
Stelrs59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2008, 09:42 AM   #7

We have 2 of the air mattress hide-a-beds in our 8313ss. My husband & sons (ages 4 & 6) love them. My DH says it's more comfortable than the the bed in the bedroom. We only had a leak in one of them on the 1st night out. The dealer did "something" and we have not had another issue. We have been out 4x since then (once for an entire week). I will keep our fingers crossed for our luck to continue.
lori08360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 05:17 PM   #8

Problems with Air Mattress

We have the 831KRSS. It has two folding sofa beds with air mattresses. The first night we used it, one of the mattresses deflated completely. We could not get it to stay inflated. The other mattress worked fine. The dealer ordered a new mattress for us and this one was that cloth covered vinyl all over instead of just the top. Our next trip, the other "original" started deflating on the first night. We started using the "new" mattress for the rest of the trip without problems.

My question - does everyone keep their mattress attached to the frame and fold it back with the sofa or do they fold it up and put it into storage under the sofa. When we were purchasing this, the dealer used the convenience of keeping the air mattress attached to the sofa as a selling point and showed us how easy it was to pull out and inflate. Then, when we took the first mattress back to him, he said that we should unstrap the mattress from the frame and store it in the bottom drawer. So much for the "extra" storage under the sofa.

I am curious how the new mattress will hold up. It seems more sturdy than the original one. It too has straps that make me think that it should be permanently attached to the sofa.

One other problem is the location of the inflater. When it is in the position that they intend it to be in, it gets wedged against the wall so much that you can't operate the controls to turn it on/off. we've started putting the controls on the outside so we can operate it better.

We still don't know what to do about the mattress that is leaking. I guess I'm going to have to find the leak and fix it. I doubt they will send us another one after a year.

For me - it is a great idea - just a bad design. When we used it the first time, we had all of the beds used so when the bed deflated, two kids slept on a hard metal frame. Not very comfortable at all.
dave_petersen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 07:18 PM   #9

We have a 2010 Surveyor SP-293, the air mattress is folded up under the fold out couch, factory sloppy leather protection liners did not cover the sharp rods around air pump storage area, we had many holes on the first night. With pictures and a strongly worded memo we had the mattress replaced under warranty.
I repaired and covered all sharp corners and the second mattress was folded under the couch. On the first night using this new unit it leaked. I found the pin hole, patched it, and decided it was not practical to fold up this matress under a couch in such a tight manner. Therefore, we removed the mattress, put it in a storage bag and placed in the storage compartment under the master bedroom mattress.
We reccommend not folding these mattress into tight areas.
Hensley Arrow Hitch
Average 50-60 nights/yr
Walke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 09:02 PM   #10
Wanna Be Camper

We have used ours for 18 nights so far this year and the only issues were one night the plug was not quite tight and leaked out and another time the pump overheated when deflating due to an operator error and that is when I discovered it has thermal protection in the pump motor.

John & Deb
2011 F250 Lariat FX4 Crew Cab 6.2
2011 Flagstaff V-Lite 30WRLS
SaskCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 05:41 AM   #11

We used ours for about 2 weeks this summer and it was fine but the bag that is supposed to hold it pretty much fell apart. The dealer has ordered a new cover.
2011 6.7 Ford 1 Ton Dually
https://snowyowl.smugmug.com/
Snowyowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 11:04 AM   #12

We have a Rockwood 8313ss with two air matresses. We have used both several times with no problems. We keep them folded up in the bed, but reading the posts I may store them elsewhere. I am a big guy, and if a matress will hold me without leaking then it is doing a good job.
grandpaofthree is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
air mattress, bed