Old 09-09-2016, 09:49 PM   #21

extra tank.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20160909_223430649.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	272.6 KB
ID:	119844
I bought a 5 gal. generator tank on ebay. I tee it into the feed line with shut off valves so I can make the connection without spilling gas.
I built a frame to hold the tank at the same height as the tank on the gen. the tanks are the same size so I doubled the run time for my champion or coleman generators.
I attempted to attach a photo and hope it loads.

Old 09-09-2016, 10:13 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by tshelley View Post
Hi, I see many of you run the dual gen set-up. Any of you power up a 15,000 btu AC unit? Any advice? I'm looking to purchase a set of Honda's but also like the Generac reviews. - Thanks!
I use a pair of Champion 2000's for my 15k AC. Works like a charm and is half the price of the Honda's.

2007 Surveyor SV230
- 200 Watts Solar/MPPT Controller - 230 AH Battery Bank - 600 watt PSW Inverter - (2) 2000 watt Inverter Generators - LED Lighting - Boon Docking 99% of the time.
2009 F150 - 5.4 Litre - 6 speed - Tow Package
boondocking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2016, 10:47 PM   #23

Quote:
Hi, I see many of you run the dual gen set-up. Any of you power up a 15,000 btu AC unit? Any advice? I'm looking to purchase a set of Honda's but also like the Generac reviews. - Thanks!
Yep. The Hondas power it with no problem even with eco mode on and the TV going. After my groups experiences with Generac it would be my last choice. Invest in the nurse tank kit for the Hondas. Well worth it.
Reese Fifth Airborne air ride king pin coupler with Sidewinder
NMWildcat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2016, 03:54 AM   #24

Quote:

I can run my AC on a single Champion 3100

2016 Coachmen Freedom Express Liberty Edition 310BHDS
2013 Chevy Silverado 2500HD LTZ 6.6L V8 Duramax
Husky weight distribution hitch with sway control
timfromma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2016, 12:28 PM   #25

I use 2 champion 2000 watt invertor gens in parallel and it starts the 15,000 BTU AC in ECO mode.

I will like use a Jerry cans to cut down on the amount to crap I need to pack. I will have to build a stand to hold the cans and step down to a fuel line size barb. I need to make a fitting that will screw into the can with a fuel shut off valve, come out of the valve to fuel line, then to gen.

I will either add a barb on the fuel cap on the gen or tee into the fuel line running to carb with a selector valve.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20160910_121903.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	230.5 KB
ID:	119868  

Jack of all trades, Master on none
Captain America is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2016, 09:31 PM   #26

Got a plan.....I'm going to use the Gens fuel cap to attach the external tank. I will call Champion to order 2 gas caps and take out the vent on the cap.

Install a hose barb fitting with a short piece of fuel line where the vent was.
Then I will have Hyspeed Fuel Gas Line Quick Connect Disconnect 5 16" Motorcycle Dual Shut Off | eBay between the cap and external Jerry can.

I can use the vented cap for regular run time with internal tank, or replace the vented cap with the modified cap to run off external Jerry can.

Hopefully I will have completed in a few days as I gather parts. But first I need to contact Champion to make sure I can buy the gas caps.

Old 09-12-2016, 06:28 AM   #27

OK, still debating on how to attach the external can. I may tee into the fuel line with this selector valve.....New Two Way Cut Off Fuel Gas Valve Exmark 1 633347 Hustler 745059 Scag 482212 | eBay

I can run the external fuel line out the spark plug cap on the top the the genny with a quick release on the fuel line.

Old 09-12-2016, 11:34 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by timfromma View Post
I can run my AC on a single Champion 3100
my Champion 3400w inverter arrived today, love the remote start,...... added oil, fuel and pushed the remote button,.. purrs like a kitten,..... couldn't be happier with any other choice...... very few have the remote.....

I've already looked at the link AJABOTT gave in post #13 about the extended run setup for the 3100 and 3400 Champion inverter,..... he and hbillsmith have done a great job, they've broken down the procedure step by step from the video and provided a parts list with names and numbers for everything,.... looks like an interesting mod to do,... I'll have to wait a little while to be sure I don't have any warranty issues to address,..... then its on my list....... unless Capt. A is coming up with something better.......

Captain America,... is your goal to design a gravity feed extended run system?

fella10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2016, 07:19 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by fella10 View Post
Captain America,... is your goal to design a gravity feed extended run system?
Yes, it will be a gravity fed system. The fuel level in the Jerry cans will have to be higher than the carb.

Today, I'm going to take the factory fuel line off so I know what size it is. I have already started to buy parts and fittings for the Jerry can side.

As for the Gen side, I'm going to tee into the carb feed line from the fuel shut off valve. I will leave valve off to use external tank and this will keep from fuel filling internal tank. To use internal tank, detach the fuel line from the Jerry can with a quick disconnect and turn on fuel valve.

Hopefully I will have it running on Jerry can this weekend and test, but with work, kids soccer practice, life, etc(all this comes first)....its hard to find extra time!!!!

Old 09-13-2016, 08:06 AM   #30

Going to put the tee where is zip tie is...the fuel line is 1/4".

I will run the fuel line out of the spark plug access port with a quick disconnect on the end.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20160913_074330.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	156.7 KB
ID:	120066  

Tags
inverter