Old 09-15-2016, 07:50 AM   #31

Well the Jerry cans will not work. The vent seeps gas when turned on side because the vent on the inside of the can does not have a gasket. I can probably glue the vent to the can barb to make a air tight seal, but no worth the hassle.

Plan B.....

Buy this, make a tee at the outlet and run both gens off it. I will have to elevate it above the gens for gravity to work.
https://www.amazon.com/DuraMax-Fluid...bile+fuel+tank

I should be able to get 25+hrs of run time on both gens under heavy load.

Jack of all trades, Master on none
Captain America is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2016, 08:13 AM   #32
Site Team

You might also look at 5 or 6 gallon outboard motor tanks. No modifications needed, lower cost, will not rust and more stable to transport.

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 65W solar panels
Flybob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2016, 09:00 AM   #33

Will a outboard fuel tank work? All of the ones I have ever owned pulled the fuel through a pipe that went from the top of the tank to the bottom. The outboards use a diaphram pump to pull the fuel from the fuel tank.
Old 09-15-2016, 10:29 AM   #34

Champion does not have a fuel pump, fuel is gravity fed into carburetor. An outboard motor tank has fuel pickup on top of tank, and must have suction to draw fuel out of tank.

I can use an outboard tank, but I must create a siphon to draw fuel out of tank and into carb directly or into generator fuel tank. Outboard tank must be higher than Gen to work. And a simple air leak will kill siphon.

I need a tank that fuel is fed through bottom, so gravity can take fuel from auxiliary tank to generator.

As posted before, an extra generator fuel tank mounted on a support will work. I'm trying to simplify, so I don't have to carry multiple items with me.

Old 09-16-2016, 12:27 AM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain America View Post
I would like to add an external fuel supply to the 2 Champion gens I run in parallel . Since the fuel delivery is a gravity feed system, I'm thinking about teeing into the supply line from the internal tank to the carb.

I will add a fuel selector valve to switch between the internal and external fuel tank with a quick disconnect. I have a couple of military jerry cans that I can reduce down to a fuel line barb fitting and run fuel line to the gen.

I will have to put the jerry can on a support to elevate it above the carb for gravity to do its thing.

Just brainstorming now....Thoughts????
Extended Run Fuel System for Generators by IPI Industries

check out the link I have pasted above from berg ind. They have a fuel cap that replaces the 2000 watt champion gen fuel cap with a siphon setup to pull fuel into the gen fuel tank. They also have a setup with a boat fuel tank. It looks like it should work with out any mods to the gen set.
Old 09-16-2016, 07:16 AM   #36

Yes, the BERG system will work with the champion according to the website. It seems to be a high quality system. Also, from the site.......

"Note* : Some generators like a few models made by Polaris, Champion, Yamaha, Powerhouse don't have internal fuel pumps so to allow the system to gravity feed you must put the external gas tank above the generator."

It is based on a siphon system. I will have to purchase two BERG systems for $180, then I will have to buy two marine fuel tanks. That's expensive to me for an extended run system.

If I go with the fuel caddy, fittings, hose, it will cost less than $150. Plus, I can use fuel caddy to fuel boat at dock.

Old 09-16-2016, 08:00 AM   #37

Have you thought about going to a local motorcycle or lawnmower repair shop. Those kind of tanks should work.
retired06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2016, 11:20 AM   #38

I just purchased a Yamaha ef2400ishc , I'm thinking of converting to the tri fuel system were I can just plug into a propane tank not sure how long it will run on a 20lb tank should be a while.
Old 09-16-2016, 11:34 AM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soga65 View Post
I just purchased a Yamaha ef2400ishc , I'm thinking of converting to the tri fuel system were I can just plug into a propane tank not sure how long it will run on a 20lb tank should be a while.
They use more than you would think and power is decreased when compared to gas. My friends that have inboard generators that run on propane always carry a portable gas generator so they don't go through all their propane using the built in one. So you might want to research it a bit and ensure the cost is worth the effort.
Reese Fifth Airborne air ride king pin coupler with Sidewinder
NMWildcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2016, 01:15 PM   #40

Oh wow ok

Tags
inverter