Originally Posted by ddlx
Any one have suggestions on the value or lack there of, in purchasing an extended warranty on a new TT?
We just purchased a new Apex 235bhs Coachman and will be doing our walk through and all the paperwork on Monday.One question will be, the extended warranty.
YES OR NO?
I don't usually buy any extended warranties on products so I am biased (full disclosure) with the exception of certain electronics for certain kids in my family, who shall remain nameless, who consistently need the warranty.
But with RV's I don't buy it as I think the 1-2 years you get from the manufacturer is sufficient to find problems that occurred during the manufacturing process. Also, remember that your appliances and other items likely have their own separate warranty coverage.
Most importantly - a thorough inspection by you BEFORE you sign their paperwork will help you to avoid buying a lemon. See any good PDI list floating around the interwebs. Here's one ... Forest River Forums - Downloads - PDI Checklist
But, if you are still interested in pursuing this, then I think its like any other extended warranty decision.
Considerations of the coverage include:
1) How much does it cost (upfront and deductible)?
2) How comprehensive is the coverage and for how long?
3) Who is authorized to complete repairs?
4) what is the financial health and the history of the company providing the reinsurance?
5) Is it transferable?
Considerations of your personal situation might include:
1) How risk-averse are you? Or IOW, how much risk are you willing to take on yourself if you don't buy it?
2) How handy are you completing the inevitable repairs yourself after the manufacturer warranty is finished?
3) How long will you own the trailer?