Old 10-24-2010, 12:16 PM   #1
Exterior Laminate bubbling

We own a 2009 Cardinal 3100RK. The one year warranty expired in March and in May I noticed the exterior laminate is bubbling around the refrigerator vents. Any information as to what is involved in repair?

artraveler13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2011, 07:44 AM   #2
Artraveler: The first thing I would do is to find out where the water finds its way inside the laminate wall. Is your fridg drain pipe leaks inside instead or outside? what about the caulking sealing at the base. Reparing laminate wall is quite a big job and if the water leak has caused serious swelling and delaminate your wall the only solution I think will be to replace the wall section. It was so easy with the wood frame walls of the past ( some trailers are still using wood framing ) to do these repaird but with sandwiched walls it is another story to repair.

capucine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2011, 07:48 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus
I am having the same problem. I hope to post some pictures in the near future.

In my case, the silicon caulk used at the base of the vent wasn't sealing out water. The caulk pulls out as 1 piece.....not good.

Chap , DW Joy, and Fur Baby Sango
2006 Ford F150 Super Cab 4x4
2008 Surveyor 263
MtnGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2011, 07:58 AM   #4
capucine is right, the first thing you need to do is locate where the leak is and get that stopped. Take pics and document everything, just in case.

Once delamination starts, it's hard to stop. Replacing the wall is the only fix I know of, but hopefully others may know of something that will work.

I would contact FR even though your out of warranty. You never know, but at least give them the chance to say no. Forest River Ph. Number, 574-389-4600.

You might also think about taking it to your dealer and let them inspect and take pics. FR will have you do this anyway to verify the delam problem.

Gary & Trish
"PT Crew Member Since 11/2010"
2017 Prime Time Crusader 315RST TE 6.0 : 2007 Flagstaff 206ST MAC Series
2012 F-250 Lariat : FX4 : CC : SB : 6.7L Diesel : 3/55 Gears

2016 Nights Camped - 9
grhodes50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 03:42 PM   #5
Unfortunately we are way too familiar with the delaminating sidewall. That is why we are now in the market for a new trailer or 5th wheel. It happened 1 1/2 years ago and I am convinced it will happen again. We were out of warranty and luckily my husband knows fiberglass/composite repair and he did an amazing job. Just on here to read info on 5thwheel vs trailers. Any advice?
Tkcakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 06:13 PM   #6
I have an 08 wildwood 5 th wheel that has the same issue.I contacted FR directly, sent pics and they are replacing both sides in Indiana right now even thou it was out of warranty.I was responsible for 1 way transportation because it was out of warranty.Good luck to you.

Sent from my Samsung Vibrant using Forest River.
Davewebb5500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 09:20 PM   #7
Good on them for taking care of it outside of warranty. Hope the others can have theirs resolved as well.
rick_h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 05:21 AM   #8
Owners should check to make sure that the drain tube hangs outside the vent and that it is in good shape. Our drain tube crumbled to the touch and I extended it from inside with a piece of this black split wire cover used in cars. I believe it to be more UV resistant that that white tubing FR put in originally. Doesn't look so cool but hopefully it will stop the bulge from happening.
Palomino G210
Dodge Ram 1500 Crew Cab
Palomino_G210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 07:21 AM   #9
Why wouldn't they just drain through the floor with this? Is this an issue with all types of FR trailers from pop ups on up? Or is this a concern for just the bigger TT and 5th wheels?

The other thing that catches my eye on this are these companies have now building TTs with fiberglass/gelcoat exteriors for years. Seems to me they would know the pitfalls or weak points when it comes water penetration and its effects on the walls and thus make sure these issues are addressed. Call me crazy from learning from previous mistakes.....
Bob, Tonya and the kids
11 Rockwood Roo 233S
08 Grady White Seafarer 228
08 Tundra 5.7 liter 4x4 crew cab TRD limited
08 Toyota limited 4 Runner Iforce V8 full time 4WD, tow package
Smokyroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 09:24 AM   #10
Welcome to the delaminating Club

Had my brand new 09 Flagstaff 829 RGSS to start delaminating right after the warranty ran out. Contacted dealer and was contacted by FR and was told they would take care of all of it. Got it back this past November and they replaced both entire walls, front wall, roof, and all trim. They even fixed a couple of other things I didn't even know about and some I did. You need to document everything with photos. I think it also helps to have a dealer that cares too. FR has admitted that they have had ongoing issues with badly laminated material and they are getting plenty of complaints about it too.

ColemanJ is offline   Reply With Quote

laminate bubbling