Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-27-2012, 04:29 PM   #1

exterior length?

Ok, still have a lot of research to do. We are considering a Rockwood Roo 21RS and want to make sure that what is listed for its "exterior length" means it includes the tongue. We are steadfast sticking to under 25 ft due to storage costs and want to make sure we dont fall in love with a model that is going to be over that?
sniffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 04:32 PM   #2
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

normally the overall height is from tip to toe ! in travel mode .
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 05:29 PM   #3

Did you mean length? Im trying to verify the length info on the site is correct. I dont care about height lol
Old 03-27-2012, 05:44 PM   #4
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Oops my bad yes length.
Old 03-27-2012, 05:45 PM   #5
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Hopefully someone with that unit can help
Old 03-27-2012, 05:56 PM   #6

I would get the trailer I want and then look for different storage if cost's are prohibitive. Remeber this is your vacation time do you really want to settle? if you do settle will you regret it and spend more money in coming years when you upgrade? Many dealers have earned a good living from this type of person. An extra couple of feet on the trailer isn't really noticeable when you tow it.
Old 03-27-2012, 06:08 PM   #7

I have to 2nd what cheese53073 says. I was pretty much set on a 27' trailer to replace mine, but when the wife fell in love with the Rockwood Windjammer 3008W I thought what the heck and we got it. Turns out it is not 30' like I thought but 34'-5". Scary at first. I thought what have we done? It tows no different than the 27' and I can handle it okay. The thing we notice most is that we have so much more storage inside that we can't remember where we put things. (Well maybe that comes with age)

Anyway, good luck and do what ever you choose and enjoy.
Old 03-27-2012, 06:15 PM   #8

I know we will be more than happy with something under 25ft. There is only 2 of us and considering what we have now we will be more than happy. The issue is that there are models all very similar that range in a few feet and I want to know the true length when looking at the models.
Considering the costs of storage here if I had to pay for the next size up I dont think I would even bother buying a camper.
Old 03-27-2012, 06:23 PM   #9
B47

Quote:
Originally Posted by sniffy View Post
Ok, still have a lot of research to do. We are considering a Rockwood Roo 21RS and want to make sure that what is listed for its "exterior length" means it includes the tongue. We are steadfast sticking to under 25 ft due to storage costs and want to make sure we dont fall in love with a model that is going to be over that?
Sniffy - I am not 100% sure of this, but we have a 2012 Silverback 29rk and the spec sheet says it is 33 feet in lenght.

I asked a FR rep what the 29 meant (I thought it was the total lenght) and he said that the 29 is the lenght measured from the front of the basement to the rear and the 33 is the total lenght of the unit including the area forward of the steps to the bathroom and bedroom.

I haven't measured it to see if that is correct yet.

Just what I was told.
B47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 06:27 PM   #10

sniffy: for example you can't always go by model numbers our Roockwood Ultra lite 2604 has a body length of 26'4" and the overall bumper to tongue length is right at 30'. Some mfrgrs list length by listing body lengths and others as bumper to tongue length.

2012 Winnebago "Journey To Insanity" 40U
2008 Dakota Sport 4x4
2004 Subaru Baja - DW's
2006 Honda Shadow Aero - TOAD for now.
F.R.O.G. member
lindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 06:38 PM   #11
Now a "Top Member"

I would always measure anyway if you find one you like. The older models were as crazy as anything. For example, my old TT was called a 26RKS something or another. The sales pitch was that it was 26' long. But the actual living space was only 23'. Other listings (Nada I think) listed the same model as 23'. So if you are hardbound to a specific length to store it, better to be safe than sorry...bring your tape measure with you.
Retired AF MSgt

I thought I was wrong once, but I was wrong!
EdJunior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 06:38 PM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Hi Sniffy,

My experience is that the Flagstaff/Shamrock exterior lengths include the tongue.

While you wait for someone who has your exact model trailer I'll give you my measurements compared to the brochure length to give you an idea of what you might expect.

We have a 233s and its exterior length by brochure is 23'9".

The box, including the tongue, but not the bumper or spare tire is slightly less than 24'. The bumper and spare add 16".

So, if you trust it, that means the brochure exterior length includes the tongue.

Two things you can do to check this: Call the dealer and ask them to measure it. Search here for owners of the trailer you want to buy and send a PM. Not everyone is on the forum every day.

2012 Shamrock 233S
2008 Toyota Sequoia 5.7L 4WD
Triguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 10:27 AM   #13

I am not talking about model numbers I am talking about the information listed on the forest river pages for example the rockwood ultra lite 2604 does say its 29 ft
http://www.forestriverinc.com/nd/def...ries=UltraLite

what I want to verify is that these numbers are completely accurate with the entire length of the trailer from the back bumper to the tip of the tongue.
Old 03-28-2012, 10:30 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by sniffy View Post
I am not talking about model numbers I am talking about the information listed on the forest river pages for example the rockwood ultra lite 2604 does say its 29 ft
http://www.forestriverinc.com/nd/def...ries=UltraLite

what I want to verify is that these numbers are completely accurate with the entire length of the trailer from the back bumper to the tip of the tongue.
In your example the 29' refers to the length from the rear bumper to the front of the hitch.

...VTX-Al
VTX Al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 10:32 AM   #15

Thank you