Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-22-2016, 12:01 PM   #1

Extra fuel tank leaking

My 100gal fuel tank wants to leak when I bounce the truck around. Could I empty the tank and get someone to spot weld the hole? Tank doesn't leak all the time. If I was home it would not be a problem but I'm in Yellowstone.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
spock123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2016, 01:48 PM   #2
Retired

I would grab a phone book and find a pro at fixing leaky fuel tanks before asking on an internet forum. Just saying...

2015 Palomino Sabre 33CKTS - Platinum Edition - Progressive Industries EMS HW50C - JT Strong Arm Stabilizers - Ground Control 3.0 - 320 Watt Solar with 2000 Watt Inverter
RubyDually is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2016, 02:20 PM   #3

Not sure what kind of tank you have ?? Aluminum,steel, other. Gas or diesel?? Is it a crack or a puncture hole? Any tank can be welded on. Probably cost more than new tank cost. No one will weld on it in the truck.

So after all the above id go to auto parts store and get some JB Weld.
I've had great luck patching small leaks in steel or aluminum fuel tanks with that.

Russell.
CAT-RN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2016, 02:34 PM   #4

It's a steel tank and is diesel fuel. I'll empty the tank, use the diesel up. It doesn't leak all the time. When tank gets empty I'll try the JB wield. Tank is easy to get out of truck when empty

Old 06-22-2016, 02:40 PM   #5

spock123,
This may sound weird, but it worked for me. If you can see the crack or opening if small, get a soap bar and rub the crack and it will seal it for a while. Maybe it will get you home to repair or replace it.
Jester

2012 Super Crew 4WD 6.7 PSD
2015 Cardinal 3800 FL
2007 Road King Black Cherry-Hers
2007 Road King Blue-Mine
1979 FXS Hot Rod Shovelhead
Jestercyco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2016, 04:03 PM   #6

Depends where on the tank. When logging if a steel tank starting leaking on the bottom of the L portion. We had several different welders try to stop it. Ground out the welds and weld it back and plate it. Six months later it would leak again. Getting the surface free of all diesel is the key to seal from welding. If on the the road I would brake clean and use some expoxy weld.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
arpipeliner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2016, 02:47 PM   #7

Fuel Tank Leaking

I would use Pro-Seal 890 fuel tank sealant. This was used on my experimental airplane for sealing the gas tank. This is also used between the seam on jets to be able to be pressurized. Works for diesel fuel also. Great stuff!

Ken
Central Texas
ken11gray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2016, 02:53 PM   #8

Some of those steel tanks have limited baffles (or none at all) and will start cracking at the welds. You can weld on it, but it will just crack somewhere else. I've seen the welded sections reinforced with strips of angle welded along the edges. Internal baffling is really the best solution, as 100 gallons of diesel sloshing around is rough on the thin gauge material.
bshort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2016, 07:38 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jestercyco View Post
spock123,
This may sound weird, but it worked for me. If you can see the crack or opening if small, get a soap bar and rub the crack and it will seal it for a while. Maybe it will get you home to repair or replace it.
Jester
The soap does work for a temp repair, didn't beleive it until I tried it, gote home where a friend welded it with a nitrogen purge.
mlwilliams808 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2016, 05:45 PM   #10

I have had my tank for more than 8 years now, I hope to empty it soon. I'm in Yellowstone now and today I wasn't getting any help from my Garmin RV760 and I somehow took the scenic tour, took the wrong road. 50 miles out of the way. I just want to get the tank fixed for this trip, once I get home I'll decide what to do about a permanent fix or get a new tank. I want a aluminum tank but expensive

Old 06-26-2016, 10:13 AM   #11

X2 on the j b weld its help for 5 years now on a aluminum tank
bareftn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2016, 07:38 PM   #12

I just put the JB weld on just now, didn't read the part about having wet fingers but it is already hard. How long before I can put diesel in the tank?

Old 06-26-2016, 08:02 PM   #13

Could of probably had fuel in it and it work.

Russell
CAT-RN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2016, 03:38 PM   #14

I think I fixed the extra fuel tank, the JB weld worked great. Its nice to be able to use the tank again. I just hate to use gas stations hooked up and I can usually beat the truck stops on price

Tags
leak, tank