Old 09-23-2019, 07:48 PM   #1

Extreme Weather Arctic Package

Can someone explain this option?

Docjava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2019, 07:55 PM   #2

I think its just 12v tank heaters.

But according to the panel over the battery isolation manager, they will only work if the coach battery voltage is above 13.3v, or engine is running

Old 09-23-2019, 09:09 PM   #3

That means plugged into shore power, generator or the chassis engine running. They eat battery power.
Old 09-23-2019, 09:52 PM   #4
Site Team

It's either 12v heating pads on the holding tanks or furnace heat blown into the enclosed underbelly.
Either way, it's not going to necessarily mean it's a true 4 season RV.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
Equalizer WDH
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2019, 12:07 AM   #5

You will need to check your build sheet or call FR with your VIN to find out for sure. I purchased the 2019 Alpha Wolf 26DBH-L in September of 2018 with the Extreme Weather Arctic Package only to find out during hunting season that on my build sheet it only included a little more insulation in the walls, ceiling and floor. Nothing else. No tank heaters or furnace vent to the underbelly. I froze the fresh water between the tank and where it comes up through the floor. I've heard the later 2019 models might have tank heaters and a floor vent but again it depends on the build sheet. Basically it's nothing more than a marketing ploy and shame on me for believing the salesman that it was a three season camper.
Cdj1990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2019, 12:41 AM   #6
Retired Old Fart

Also I think some brands or models add a reflective material layer like the Reflectix you can buy at HD or Lowes. It's not what most people think of when they read the title. Look at your low point drain lines, the fresh water drain and your dump black PVC plumbing and valves. Even with the "arctic package" are they still outside the underbelly and unprotected? That is what is going to freeze first (as well as your fresh water line from the faucet to the trailer).

I do have a 2" dedicated line from the furnace through the floor into my underbelly (it came that way). So technically it is a heated underbelly, but there is no return air path so I'm not sure how much it really flows the heated air into the underbelly.
dward51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2019, 02:19 PM   #7

As we were researching the various manufactures for our trailer this summer it seemed that the "Arctic" package generally included a larger BTU furnace, floor vents (not sure if all vents in floor, or some), enclosed under belly, and maybe extra insulation. The few options I saw were generally around $500 which doesn't sound like too much was included. Since we tended to look at better brands like Rockwood that already had an enclosed underbelly standard that could have helped keep the price down.

As Dward51 mentioned I have seen videos of trailers that have 2" duct work that appears to be just laying in the underbelly near the tanks. I never heard of tank heaters until very recently. Of course I never noticed the blank switch plate labeled "tank heater" on my control panel. So its at least an option for the Mini-Lites.

I know some people mentioned things like double pane windows, thermo shades, etc... I've never seen this, but I imagine this could be for the very high end or specific to winter camping brands.

With that said has anyone upgraded their trailer to have a DIY Arctic package? Since my underbelly is already enclosed (not quite sealed perfectly is looks like) I was thinking I could just re-route one of the two 4" ducts into the under belly (i.e. drill a 4" hole and stuff it in) and then add another hole or two (exhaust) on the other side of the trailer. Maybe 4" is too much air? I haven't looked closely enough at my furnace (Suburban 20K) but I might be able to drill out a new 2" hole through the bottom and partially block off one of the 4" vents to get some air flow that way.

I'd be interested in any thoughts or comments. It wouldn't be the craziest thing I've ever done drilling holes through the floor.

Thanks
Jim M.