Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-06-2014, 11:51 PM   #1

Extreme Weather package

If a unit has the sticker on the side that states "Extreme Weather Package"

Shouldn't it have the below options installed?

Extreme Weather Package
Dual Pane Windows
12V Heated Holding Tanks
Radiant Roof/Floor/Slide Out Floor/Front Insulation (R-38 @ 80°F)

US Army Retired
Tx_Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2014, 12:18 AM   #2

Not necessarly. ...the sticker indicates an option..

What does your invoice/options from purchase say? If you paid for the "optional" package then yes...sticker or NO sticker you should have them.
2012 lacrosse 318bhs touring- sold
ironj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2014, 07:18 AM   #3

The invoice did not have the Extreme Weather option on it.
I assumed (that's where I went wrong) since it had an enclosed underbelly that it had that "option". I couldn't tell if it had insulation installed or dual pane windows.

US Army Retired
Old 12-07-2014, 07:58 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tx_Rider View Post
The invoice did not have the Extreme Weather option on it.
I assumed (that's where I went wrong) since it had an enclosed underbelly that it had that "option". I couldn't tell if it had insulation installed or dual pane windows.
Couldn't tell you, but double pain windows are easy to see, they should be about 1/4" space between the glass that is filled with a gas.

Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2014, 09:13 AM   #5
Oklahoma Proud

Our dual pane windows have a sticker on them that says "insulated ". You really cant tell visually that they are. But we do have the new "frameless" windows as well.
On our sabre, we had to order the optional radiant barrier, and some of the other more energy efficient options.
Just look at your brochure to see what options are standard or forced.
Good luck!
MillerTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2014, 09:21 AM   #6

I agree with MillerTime. What does the brochure say the extreme weather package consists of?
biznsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2014, 02:01 PM   #7

Ok I stopped laughing, extreme weather package and RV used in the same sentence. That's an oxymoron. Ok I'm a little biased! Easy to tell if dual pane windows, use a light (flashlight) against the glass, if you have 1 reflection it's single pane, 2 reflections 2 panes, 3 reflections 3 panes etc.
Old 12-07-2014, 05:57 PM   #8

This is what the FR brochure states,

Extreme Weather Package:
Dual Pane Windows
12V Heated Holding Tanks
Ducted Heat and Radiant Roof/Floor/Slide Out Floor Insulation (R-38 @ 80°F Radiant Technology)

US Army Retired
Old 12-07-2014, 06:36 PM   #9

Quote:

Extreme Weather Package:
Dual Pane Windows
12V Heated Holding Tanks
Ducted Heat and Radiant Roof/Floor/Slide Out Floor Insulation (R-38 @ 80°F Radiant Technology)
I'm wondering how they made radiant floors. That would mean hot water like from a boiler being pumped through plex lines and have to be layed like in concrete. I can't imagine the amount of propane to do that. Maybe they have some new technology that they have developed. I would really like to see how they did that. No doubt they did something and call it Radiant heat. Windows I can understand, pretty common, heated tanks are common. R-38 is great just can't wrap my brain around the radiant heat. I thinking hot water baseboard heating. Even with that it would need a very big hot water heater and plenty of propane with a circulating distribution pump running all the time. I just never heard of it as of yet lets say. The brochert does say that , but also say's op. Did you get that option. It also states options on appliances.

Old 12-07-2014, 06:54 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by prairiecamper View Post
Ok I stopped laughing, extreme weather package and RV used in the same sentence. That's an oxymoron. Ok I'm a little biased! Easy to tell if dual pane windows, use a light (flashlight) against the glass, if you have 1 reflection it's single pane, 2 reflections 2 panes, 3 reflections 3 panes etc.
Can't agree more! Usually it might be tank heaters, maybe some extra aluminum foil "insulation" somewhere and the all important decal. Ask the dealer or manufacturer if it will be guaranteed against water freeze ups and if it will stay warm in below zero temperatures....Then after the silence, listen for the laughter... Very few if any but the very high end trailers are capable of this type of use...
GOTTOYS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2014, 07:06 PM   #11

No boiler needed for electric subfloor heating! STEP RV heating
khocke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2014, 07:10 PM   #12
Oklahoma Proud

Quote:
Originally Posted by gljurczyk View Post
I'm wondering how they made radiant floors. That would mean hot water like from a boiler being pumped through plex lines and have to be layed like in concrete. I can't imagine the amount of propane to do that. Maybe they have some new technology that they have developed. I would really like to see how they did that. No doubt they did something and call it Radiant heat. Windows I can understand, pretty common, heated tanks are common. R-38 is great just can't wrap my brain around the radiant heat. I thinking hot water baseboard heating. Even with that it would need a very big hot water heater and plenty of propane with a circulating distribution pump running all the time. I just never heard of it as of yet lets say. The brochert does say that , but also say's op. Did you get that option. It also states options on appliances.
The radiant insulation that the op stated is the foil covered bubble wrap on most of that list. And yes i optioned it on my camper, anything to help with keeping heat down (we are lake people, and use our camper the most when its hot out).
Its used in construction as well (foiled, bubble wrap insulation ). Sometimes mini storages will use it. It has hardly any r value but it will help prevent condensation that would occur worse than without any insulation.
...... Whether it helps much in cold, i dont know, but its inbetween my cloroplast and tanks/ & frame. Its all the little stuff that can add up to help alot. I'll order it again if its an option on my next camper too.
Old 12-07-2014, 07:21 PM   #13
Oklahoma Proud

Quote:

Extreme Weather Package:
Dual Pane Windows
12V Heated Holding Tanks
We have everything on your list also except the 12v tank heaters. Our furnace is ducted to keep it warm in the underbelly.
I ordered everything to help combat heat in the summer- so i guess thats my extreme weather. I also added slide toppers and 2nd ac too.
We have stayed in our camper a few times with the temps in the 30°s and 40°s and lows in the mid 20°s. If you keep the furnace on and all the baggage doors shut it stays comfortable without running to often. It does cool down alot quicker than a house, but it doesnt have the ground contact that a house has.
Best of luck with your quest!!!
Old 12-07-2014, 08:03 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by MillerTime View Post
We have everything on your list also except the 12v tank heaters. Our furnace is ducted to keep it warm in the underbelly.
I ordered everything to help combat heat in the summer- so i guess thats my extreme weather. I also added slide toppers and 2nd ac too.
We have stayed in our camper a few times with the temps in the 30°s and 40°s and lows in the mid 20°s. If you keep the furnace on and all the baggage doors shut it stays comfortable without running to often. It does cool down alot quicker than a house, but it doesnt have the ground contact that a house has.
Best of luck with your quest!!!
That's very interesting concept using electric compared to hot water. but I also read it comes with a 12 gal hot water heater. Also being 24 volt and not the normal 12 volt. Must be comfortable compared to forced air. what gets me to is R-38 insulation also. Nice unit.

Old 12-07-2014, 08:28 PM   #15
Phat Phrog Stunt Crew

When I was at Wildcat this summer Wildcat Chris talked about radiant insulation. He said some companies claim the radiant foil adds a large R value up to R38. The truth is that the foil has only a R1 value and the real value is only in the reflection of heat or cold. So the question is a R24 increases the value to R38 with the "radiant" foil?
elind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2014, 08:36 PM   #16
Oklahoma Proud

Quote:
Originally Posted by gljurczyk View Post
That's very interesting concept using electric compared to hot water. but I also read it comes with a 12 gal hot water heater. Also being 24 volt and not the normal 12 volt. Must be comfortable compared to forced air. what gets me to is R-38 insulation also. Nice unit.
That wasn't me about radiant heat.

Its radiant INSULATION, not radiant heat that op and i are talking about. On the 5ers I've looked at radiant HEAT, was not an option.

And yes our 12gal water heater is awsome, never have ran out.

And sorry ours has r28 not 38, just looked. Its r14 fiberglass bats and optional r14 radiant insulation (roof and floor) , walls are r9 rated
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1418002613438.jpg
Views:	260
Size:	62.3 KB
ID:	67312  
Old 12-07-2014, 08:46 PM   #17
Oklahoma Proud

To add even more confusion, here is what the download able xlr poster says (in pic) while the brochure says r38. ????who knows? I cant find the brakedown like palomino does for sabre.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	1418003175281.jpg
Views:	257
Size:	86.6 KB
ID:	67313  
Old 12-07-2014, 08:55 PM   #18

From a brochure...

Name:	ImageUploadedByForest River Forums1418003693.994438.jpg
Views:	309
Size:	350.9 KB
ID:	67314

Name:	ImageUploadedByForest River Forums1418003707.615921.jpg
Views:	255
Size:	256.3 KB
ID:	67315

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
born in Texas.... live in Arkansas
Iwannacamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2014, 08:56 PM   #19

I dunno about an rv, but the radient tile in my house is the whiz bang snap!!

I know they do it in big motorhomes...guess it could be done in a trailer/5er...?..

one of my neighbors has geothermal floors in his garage/workshop.....keeps it decently warm in sub z with no heaters on......
2012 lacrosse 318bhs touring- sold
ironj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2014, 09:40 PM   #20
Oklahoma Proud

Quote:
Originally Posted by ironj View Post
I dunno about an rv, but the radient tile in my house is the whiz bang snap!!

I know they do it in big motorhomes...guess it could be done in a trailer/5er...?..

one of my neighbors has geothermal floors in his garage/workshop.....keeps it decently warm in sub z with no heaters on......
I dont know if you could use radiant heat under linoleum or carpet. Seen it for tile and cant remember if ive seen it for wood or not.
Now geo....thats pretty neat, but pretty pricy. My brother was thinking of using it for his new house.