Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-07-2012, 10:51 PM   #11
Moderator Emeritus
 
Dave_Monica's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Ontario, Canada
Posts: 4,329
Quote:
Originally Posted by dretired View Post
just did a double check of the 2012 ford f 150 towing guide on line ..look under payload capacity...2,700lbs for the truck i am talking about
It seems that the loaded weight of the truck with passengers and gas is in the neighborhood of 6200 lbs. This weight would also depend on trim level, optional equipment # of passengers, etc. The max payload option puts the truck's GVWR at 8200 lbs...8200 - 6200 is 2000 lbs of payload capacity available. Throw in a 5th wheel hitch, you're down around 1800 lbs., which is very high for a F150. The payload would be very close to that of 250/2500 series diesel powered. Of course they're rated to pull about 15,000+ lbs compared to 11,300 lbs for the F150.

Dave
__________________

__________________


Nights camped in 2013 - 55, 2014 - 105, 2015 - 63
Dave_Monica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 11:25 PM   #12
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Manitoba
Posts: 1,283
" I am thinking about a 2012 XL , Crew cab, 6 1/2 ft box , heavy duty payload pkg, 3.73 rear end, max towing pkg, work pkg, etc"
=====================================
That pretty much describes my friend's truck, but he only pulls a 28-foot KZ fifth wheel, with a dry weight of about 6600 lbs, I believe. He has no issues pulling that, and he has pulled it up some good grades.
I would imagine that extra 1000 lbs would make a bit of difference, especially in the mountains. You could handle it, but I wonder about the comfort level?
I should hook my friend's Ecobeast to my fifth just to see what it felt like. My Flagstaff is about 7700 lbs dry.
__________________

__________________
crocus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 05:30 AM   #13
Senior Member
 
dretired's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Michigan
Posts: 1,037
Quote:
Originally Posted by baldy View Post
Thanks... i have seen that ..and in fact i am doing it also but not up and down any mountains... we took I-75 most of the way to St.Augustine beach ,Fl for the winter...we have 2-3 weeks left on our "winter" vacation
__________________
dretired is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 09:05 AM   #14
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Burlington, ON, Canada
Posts: 106
I really love the new F150 ecoboost. I think it is a game changer in the 1/2 ton truck market. I have been looking into them when I came across this forum the other day..

F150 Ecoboost Problems - Ford EcoBoost Forum

It looks like there are still some bugs to be ironed out with the engine, and Ford seems to be stumped as to whats going on with some of them. I think I will wait another year before upgrading my 2008 5.4L Screw and see if they get it all sorted out.
__________________
pwrplay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 09:46 AM   #15
Site Team
 
acadianbob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: St. Paul, Minnesota
Posts: 2,920
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwrplay View Post
I really love the new F150 ecoboost. I think it is a game changer in the 1/2 ton truck market. I have been looking into them when I came across this forum the other day..

F150 Ecoboost Problems - Ford EcoBoost Forum

It looks like there are still some bugs to be ironed out with the engine, and Ford seems to be stumped as to whats going on with some of them. I think I will wait another year before upgrading my 2008 5.4L Screw and see if they get it all sorted out.
I can comment on these I think
1) Rought 1-2 shift: There have been some TSBs to re-program and a small batch of trucks went out the door with defective (too small) clutch plates. My truck does not exhibit this problem
2)Stop Surge: Yes, my truck does the same thing. Mostly when cold when the idle is up. I believe it is the truck shifting to 1st on a stop and then you get a stronger pull.
3) Fast idle cold: Yes, my truck does the same thing. The fast idle stays on a surprisingly long time. I do find it a little annoying. Bet that won't ever go away as I bet there is a reason for it.
4) Throttle Hold: I've never experienced this.
5) Tach Bounce: I've never experienced this. Some earlier truck did this as I've seen other reports of the same thing. Not sure that it really hurts anything.

The link is to an older post, June 2011, so if you are interested, I would concentrate on newer posts. I'm not hearing/reading of many issues with 2012. Some report a small "shudder" on acceleration from a stop that is linked to the rear springs.

All in all, if you go to any truck brand forum, you will find little niggling things that people are reporting. I can say that my 2012 Eco has been absolutely flawless.
__________________
http://i421.photobucket.com/albums/pp297/acadianbob/IMG_2757.jpg
2012 F150 FX4 Ecoboost, 2016 Surveyor 274BHS
2003 Yamaha FJR1300, Demco Premiere Slider
1969 John Deere 1020, 1940 Ford 9N, 1948 Ford 8N
Jonsered 535, Can of WD-40, Duct Tape
Red Green coffee mugs
acadianbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 09:57 AM   #16
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Burlington, ON, Canada
Posts: 106
Ya I know that post started back in June 2011 but it is still active as of yesterday and one guys is taking his in due to a new TSB the dealer just called him about.

I noticed too that most of the issues where with what seems to be early 2011 models. Not too many of the same issues with the 2012 are apparent from what I have read, however, as you attest there seem to be some minor nags that should hopefully be ironed out soon enough.

I'm not in a hurry to upgrade as my 08 F150 only has 56000 Kms (35000 miles), but I'd sure love to have the power and torque of the ecoboost, plus the Max Payload and Max Tow for my 7200lbs (loaded) trailer.
__________________
pwrplay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 10:40 AM   #17
Site Team
 
acadianbob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: St. Paul, Minnesota
Posts: 2,920
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwrplay View Post
Ya I know that post started back in June 2011 but it is still active as of yesterday and one guys is taking his in due to a new TSB the dealer just called him about.

I noticed too that most of the issues where with what seems to be early 2011 models. Not too many of the same issues with the 2012 are apparent from what I have read, however, as you attest there seem to be some minor nags that should hopefully be ironed out soon enough.

I'm not in a hurry to upgrade as my 08 F150 only has 56000 Kms (35000 miles), but I'd sure love to have the power and torque of the ecoboost, plus the Max Payload and Max Tow for my 7200lbs (loaded) trailer.
You know, as nice as the Ecoboost is, what I really appreciate the most is the 6-speed select-shift auto. I previously had a 4-speed in the '05 F150. Big difference. I believe your are sitting on a 4-speed also?

The next thought is, around 2015, there will be a totally new F150. I would expect it to be significantly lighter. There is also a second generation Ecoboost under development. So, if you can make yourself wait (and I know I couldn't!) you could get an even better truck.
__________________
http://i421.photobucket.com/albums/pp297/acadianbob/IMG_2757.jpg
2012 F150 FX4 Ecoboost, 2016 Surveyor 274BHS
2003 Yamaha FJR1300, Demco Premiere Slider
1969 John Deere 1020, 1940 Ford 9N, 1948 Ford 8N
Jonsered 535, Can of WD-40, Duct Tape
Red Green coffee mugs
acadianbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 01:16 PM   #18
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Burlington, ON, Canada
Posts: 106
Quote:
Originally Posted by acadianbob View Post
You know, as nice as the Ecoboost is, what I really appreciate the most is the 6-speed select-shift auto. I previously had a 4-speed in the '05 F150. Big difference. I believe your are sitting on a 4-speed also?

The next thought is, around 2015, there will be a totally new F150. I would expect it to be significantly lighter. There is also a second generation Ecoboost under development. So, if you can make yourself wait (and I know I couldn't!) you could get an even better truck.

Yes mine is a 4spd and really wish it was a 6 spd, but it is what it is. One thing I know is that the 5.4L is a workhorse of a motor and I should have no problems keeping her going pulling my Freedom Express 292BHDS untill the 2015's come out. If they are lighter and have an improved ecoboost engine, I can bet it'll be pulling some heavy loads for sure. Might make the 3/4 ton series (shall I dare say it?) ...obsolete
__________________

__________________
pwrplay is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by




ForestRiverForums.com is not in any way associated with Forest River, Inc. or its associated RV manufacturing divisions.


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:32 AM.