Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-02-2013, 10:44 PM   #1
2014 Traveler

Failed PDI, rear axle misaligned, camping in dealer lot!!

So, we purchased a '13 FR Cherokee Destination. I live in Tx and the dealer is over 1000mi away, we arrived and they had it all set up in a campground nearby for two very tired folks. Next day, we do the PDI, set up the distribution hitch then roll it onto pavement to check everything over when I notice DS rear tire looked low. Tech said to bring it to the store so he could check them. Turns out the pressure was fine but when I touched the tire it was really hot compaired to the rest. That's when I noticed the rear leaf spring was sitting too far forward and the rear axle was misaligned. The factory actually welded the rear shackle mount nearly 2" forward compaired to the right side. Which explains when this dealer took delivery from FR it had a blow out on the way here. SO, here me and my son now sit, camping, right on the dealers lot until FR opens tomorrow to what they want to do. Anyone ever hear of this issue before??
RetAFRVnW8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 12:55 AM   #2

Sorry to hear about that. Hopefully they will fix the issue tomorrow and you will be enjoying your new trailer soon! Things like this just happen....
Old 10-03-2013, 01:52 AM   #3
Incheon, S. Korea

It's probably a Lippert (LCI) frame. FR doesn't make frames, they buy from Lippert and maybe Dexter.
My advice? Walk away from the trailer. It is going to take quite a bit of work to fix it properly, including alignment of the axles, which ONLY specialty trailer shops have. Your dealer DOES NOT have the equipment (laser alignment station) to do it properly, unless they are very unique.
Demand your money back or another trailer. You don't want something that's "fixed". Who knows what else is wrong with it?
BigBaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 05:11 AM   #4
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

It's really not that big of a deal. Cut and reweld shackle. You don't need laser equipment. I had a laser alignment done by lippert, (which said my alignment was off), then Lippert tech came and took actually measurements and found the alignment was within spec. Since this is a destination trailer, I assume you don't plan on taking it out every weekend, thus the chances are your tires will become outdated before you ever where the tread off them. I agree they should make it right, but removing and welding a new shackle on, is not that big of a deal, especially on a destination trailer.
AquaMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 06:43 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetAFRVnW8 View Post
The factory actually welded the rear shackle mount nearly 2" forward compaired to the right side. Which explains when this dealer took delivery from FR it had a blow out on the way here.
Before accepting the trailer and fixes, I would really check out the area around where the tire blew out, to make sure there was no damage caused to the wheel well, frame, or exterior.

Chap , DW Joy, and Fur Baby Sango
2017 F350 Lariat CCSB, SRW, 4x4, 6.7 PS
2017 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS
MtnGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 06:55 AM   #6

I would expect any manufacturer to step up and offer an extended service warranty on any new product that fails when new, and they must repair, your trailer included. It's too easy to allow someone else's problem to become your own and, if indeed this is found to be a factory issue, that's the least they can do for your confidence and your inconvenience. Besides, if they believe in and stand by the quality of their products, extended coverage is NO COST to them.

Wishing you a successful outcome.

2016 Coachman Leprechaun, 319DS, Motorhome, Dodge Durango Toad
Badlands is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 07:43 AM   #7
2014 Traveler

Well, we'll see what FR says this morning. The dealer is the one that made the call that trailer isn't moving and said that the last time something like this happened they recalled it. I weld and understand how simple it is to fix but also understand insurance/liability. The dealer said "if" FR recalls it, he will fight to have another one delivered to my door and my trip here reimbursed. So, this could prove to be a blessing in disguise.
Old 10-03-2013, 09:15 PM   #8
Incheon, S. Korea

It sounds like you have a good dealer. That's great news. Let everyone know who they are when all is done.
Old 10-06-2013, 11:24 PM   #9
2014 Traveler

So after 5 days, 7 states, 2330mi and I'm afraid to figure up the fuel we made it back home with our new TT!!. My dealer argued with Lippert for 30min before lippert would admit that the shackle was welded on in the wrong spot. They agreed to fix it but it was going to be a while "weeks" before a tech could get out to fix it. So, we drove off and were about 10mi out when my dealer called to inform me that the head of FR warranty said forget lippert, just find a cert. Welder to make the repairs and get this guy his trailer. Well we found a local shop that actually builds firetrucks. We were in and out in 30min!! My hats off to Todd and crew at Noble RV in Madelia, MN!! In near 20yrs of traveling the globe for our country I've owned 34 vehicles an dealt with all types of people in a sales position and have NEVER been treated better than I was with them!! The day I first arrived, they already had my trailer in a beautiful campground set up for us to go right to bed. Day 2 we were greeted by a tech that walked us through a very lengthy PDI and I never once felt rushed! This was also when we discovered the leaf spring issue. Again, I don't fault the dealership for something lippert did and should have caught and FR did a wonderful job taking care of us. Well pleased with our new TT!!
Old 10-07-2013, 06:50 AM   #10
Incheon, S. Korea

You pulled a destination trailer that far? Why? That's great that they took care of you so well.
Old 10-07-2013, 07:42 AM   #11
2014 Traveler

@BigBaron, simply put, they came down 5g's for a total of 15g's off msrp. No one down here could come close to that and that didn't even account for the delivery of it. I could have had it delivered and paid someone else $2per mile for the 1200mile trip or pay a 3rd of that in fuel to do it myself. Here's my sales pitch for Equalizer hitches, their E4 hitch kept me and my 45' TT on the road!! Those things are amazing!
Old 10-07-2013, 08:16 AM   #12
Incheon, S. Korea

That's a pretty good reason for a road trip! Enjoy your new trailer!
Old 10-07-2013, 08:25 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by AquaMan View Post
It's really not that big of a deal. Cut and reweld shackle. You don't need laser equipment. I had a laser alignment done by lippert, (which said my alignment was off), then Lippert tech came and took actually measurements and found the alignment was within spec. Since this is a destination trailer, I assume you don't plan on taking it out every weekend, thus the chances are your tires will become outdated before you ever where the tread off them. I agree they should make it right, but removing and welding a new shackle on, is not that big of a deal, especially on a destination trailer.

NOT A BIG DEAL? ARE YOU KIDDING?

Man if we look at the frame wrong they will void frame warranty! Why? Because they build them so thin and cheap it is ridiculous! That being said how wise do you think it is to cut the pieces off and re weld them on? I'd be concerned about structural integrity after it was said and done!

Actually for the OP this same thing happened to me, as far as the axle issue. Ours was 2" off as well. My dealer didn't want to play nice with me on the matter. I wasn't able to get it to the dealer until after hours during the week and I needed something done ASAP as we had reservations in a couple weeks after finding this, and in dire need of tires! I ended up telling the owner that the camper was going to be sitting right in front of their one way in and out gate after hours if he didn't have someone there as I arrived. Needless to say they had someone waiting for me. Then they didn't "see" a problem with how the axles were situated and suggested I cut them and re weld if I had a problem... After a few attempts to play nicely I finally brought a lawyer into the scenario and they offered to take the camper back for more than I paid and reduced the price on the current model we have...

So yes it happens, and I have another buddy running into the same thing currently.

TV- 2015 Ram 2500 CCLB 6.7 Cummins 3.42 gears
Camper - 2015 Saber 322BHTS
avolnek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 08:46 AM   #14
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by avolnek View Post
... Because they build them so thin and cheap it is ridiculous! That being said how wise do you think it is to cut the pieces off and re weld them on? I'd be concerned about structural integrity after it was said and done!...
The frames are built that way to save weight and be able to provide us with light weight units. The structural integrity will not be compromised if done by a competent welding shop. All they have to do is add another set of mounts and torch off the ears of the originals without torching any part of the frame. Not rocket science.
Old 10-07-2013, 08:51 AM   #15

I wouldn't argue with a bit of that OC... But nobody is coming near my "new" camper to make a modification like that... I would refuse, and i would demand my money back or a new camper... period...

TV- 2015 Ram 2500 CCLB 6.7 Cummins 3.42 gears
Camper - 2015 Saber 322BHTS
avolnek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 12:35 PM   #16
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by avolnek View Post
NOT A BIG DEAL? ARE YOU KIDDING?

Man if we look at the frame wrong they will void frame warranty! Why? Because they build them so thin and cheap it is ridiculous! That being said how wise do you think it is to cut the pieces off and re weld them on? I'd be concerned about structural integrity after it was said and done!
No, I'm not kidding! I wasn't suggesting the OP weld it himself. It's a new unit. FR is responsible for that, of which, that is exactly what they did. I still say, not a big deal. I wouldn't be worried about the integrity, the impact of welding that shackle on will be minimal at most. As for the OP, I'm glad it all worked out for you.
AquaMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 02:05 PM   #17

Just as the Old coot stated, the frames are intentionally built that way for weight savings....but, the Lippert frame problems enmasse are shoddy weld-ups done on these frames. They skimp on weld beads, and the quality of the bead draw should be a FAIL by any inspector worth their salt.
1986 Marriage to "Wifey" (patience of a saint)
rattleNsmoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 02:15 PM   #18
2014 Traveler

Agreed!! The quality of weld that was done on my repair was better than the factory ones! In the end, it did the job and got us home safe.