Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-12-2017, 09:35 PM   #21
Site Team

My nephew has an Outback bunk house that sleeps 11. 4 bunks, trundle under one, 2 on sofa, 2 on dinette and 2 on Queen bed. He's actually filled it with kids and friends.

dcheatwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2017, 10:06 PM   #22

You seem kind of locked in on a specific camping style - all kids in the TT, and separate beds for all, tow vehicle to suit TT.

Which was (and is) way beyond our means when we had kids and friends camping with us. We made do with a 12ft box pop-up (Coleman Westlake). Could sleep 7 (4-5 in the ends, one on the sofa, two small kids on the dinette), but we seldom had 7 inside. Once the kids and accompanying friends got over 11, they wanted to be out in a separate tent. Which is quite practical in most state and national campgrounds, but not so much in many private campgrounds.

Only 25% of our camping is in private campgrounds. We'll usually use a private campground like a hotel at our destination - a base from which to do things in the area. Stays at public parks and campgrounds tend to be longer and more focused on camping and other outdoor activities.

We cook, eat, and clean outside so dinette/kitchen space for the entire group was/is seldom needed. But some kind of covering over the picnic table is a necessity. We use the campground toilets and showers.

For us, having to take 2 vehicles every time we went camping would have ended up limiting how often we camped. A camper that can be towed by a minivan - many pop-ups can - was/is ideal for us. Being able to store the camper in the garage makes spur of the moment trips much more likely.

Again, that's our camping style. And we equip ourselves accordingly. It sounds like your son has enough experience to know what suits his style. I wish you well in the search for the ideal camper.

Fred W
2014 Rockwood A122 A-frame
2008 Hyundai Entourage minivan
camping Colorado and adjacent states one weekend at a time
last trip: Palo Duro, Texas
next trip: Rocky Mountain National Park
best trip to date: Custer State Park, SD (Black Hills)
pgandw is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2017, 10:31 PM   #23

Camping in the late 60's early 70's, Mom, Dad, sisters in the Apache popup and me in the back of the station wagon with a pillow and sleeping bag. I slept in the camper...maybe twice, all the years we owned it. One of our tow vehicles was a 66 two door Impala and I traveled on the deck above the back seats so my sisters would have more room...Seat Belts ? We don't need no stinking seat belts !
TheWolfPaq82 is offline   Reply With Quote