Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-27-2015, 07:32 PM   #1

Family RV parks in Texas

So, my wife and I just ordered our first TT. We have rented a few in the past to take out to various places for a weekend and had so much fun we figured it's time to invest in our own.

I've been trying to plan trips to nearby RV resorts in an attempt to work the bugs out of our new coach (when it arrives that is). When I go to the various websites of the various rv resorts in Texas, their pictures galaries are loaded with seniors playing bingo and line dancing. Now, I have absolutely nothing against seniors (I tend to think the older you are the wiser, more curious, patient, and friendly you are.).

However, I would like to have an environment where my 19yr old daughter and her friends can have fun and meet other people around their age. This is even more important when we bring younger kids.

My question is, what age bracket are you most likely to run into at RV parks? Any parks that have a higher percentage of adults in their late 30s-mid 40s? Any that are in Texas that have a higher focus towards families with Children as opposed to retired couples?

TT: 2016 40' Chaparral 360IBL at 14000lbs
TV: 2016 F450 Platinum 6.7 CC LWB FX4, B&W Companion Hitch
IronCobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2015, 09:58 PM   #2

I would consider going to some of the amazing State parks in Texas where you will normally find younger family aged campers. When we got our MH I specifically picked state parks at first to help keep the rest of my group interested. It worked like a charm. Now they love camping and meeting people wherever we go.
For teenagers just make sure there's a nice pool or lake to swim in and you should be okay. I've never known kids to have a bad time when they can swim.
howzball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2015, 09:43 AM   #3
I Break Everything

We're from Lampasas, TX. There are loads of RV parks in TX. I've been using this website since about 2006: RV Park Reviews - Trusted Reviews of Campgrounds & RV Parks

We have two kids, son 21 and daughter18. One in college one starting this fall. We generally don't go to parks for the "park activities". Some KOAs have "kiddy" type activities and this bingo you speak of. If they're outdoor type kiddos or not state parks are pretty cool. Hiking, park events, history, etc. Check the website I provided, it has information about what each park provides. Take it for what it is though, I've found it pretty accurate and would not start without it.

We travel with a destination in mind...Austin, San Antonio, Chicago, Boston, etc. Our RV is our base and we go out into the city for the history, shopping, sites, etc. Most parks have a fair mix of ages. I'd say over the last 10 years there's been a jump or resurgence into "RVing". You say you're looking for a "RV resort", from my experience "resort" is rare, even if it's in the title. Look at the parks online.

You will see all kinds in RV parks, especially in TX. Lots of folks winter in TX, then the weekend warriors and "residents" that live in the parks however residents don't usually live in the "resort" type parks. There are groups that get to the park put out all their stuff and sit in lawn chairs the entire time they are there.

Bottom line, there is no written rule for, "how" your supposed to do things We find a destination: Beach, Park, City and go. We head to Austin and San Antonio, a lot, on the weekends. Hang out downtown, head back in the evening.

2015 Georgetown Forest River 351DS Class A
2008 Keystone Cougar 293SAB 5th Wheel
2007 Jay Flight 30.5RLS 5th Wheel
2006 Jay Flight 29BHS TT
mikel68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2015, 11:59 AM   #4

Try hitting some of the waterparks around. I've noticed a few have RV campgrounds. You will definitely find younger families. The wife and I have been wanting to hit up a place like that. One that comes to mind is Splashway (I think) in Sheridan, TX.

"Just put that hammer down and give it hell" -Jerry Reed
Pauls Toy Hauler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2015, 12:27 PM   #5

Parks in Texas

It looks like you're in Corpus... If a little longer drive is good for you, you HAVE to go to Garner State Park. The absolute BEST park in Texas. Age groups from very young to very old. Mostly families, of all ages. There is even a dance every night behind the store in the park that is very popular. I have been taking my kids there for nearly 20 years, and now, this summer I am planning my 1st trip there with my 3 year old Grand-daughter....
New Braunfels is loaded with short stay RV parks up and down the rivers. Further north in the hill country, there are countless parks as well. Just depends on what the kids like to do or be around, water, horses...
A nice relaxing park is Breckenridge outside of Edna off 59 towards Houston. Good fishing and boating, ATV trails, Bike trails, Horse trails... There are tons of opportunities. Cant go wrong.
beauski99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2015, 02:01 PM   #6
KJPapa

Guadalupe River Resort in Kerrville, Texas is one of our favorites. Right on the river. Lots of things to do. January through March it is a Winter Texans place, but the rest of the year it has a good number of younger families there. There is also one down the street called "By The River" It doesn't have as many activities as the first one, but the river access for swimming and fishing in the summer is outstanding. After the rains this year, the Hill Country is really beautiful.
kjpapa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2015, 03:14 PM   #7

LoneStar Yogi in Waller, TX!
2014 Dodge Ram 1500 5.7 ltr V8
3.92 rear axel ratio
Soonermikel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2015, 06:34 PM   #8
Now a "Top Member"

The Yogi parks are pretty good for the younger kids, maybe not so much for a 19 year old. The 19 year old would probably do better at the Guadalupe River places mentioned above, or places like Splashway (Splashway Waterpark & Campgrounds) or something similar. We haven't had any younguns or teens since we started camping, so I can't help you much beyond that.

Welcome to the board and to camping (with your own camper!!).
Retired AF MSgt

I thought I was wrong once, but I was wrong!
EdJunior is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2015, 07:07 PM   #9

As others have mention for the older kids, RV parks with water parks or state parks with lakes. Splashway, Yogi in Waller are great for the older ones. As my kids got older we now only go to the Yogi and in Waller or the Yogi in Burleson. Both have lots of older kids and water activities. The other Yogi's crater more to younger kids with lots of kid activities.

My first
kho6658 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2015, 07:12 PM   #10

I'm actually at Guadalupe River RV Resort right now! Love this place! My boy is 8...he prefers Yogi in Waller...especially weekends in October when they celebrate Halloween every weekend!
3.92 rear axel ratio
Old 07-01-2015, 06:03 PM   #11

My favorite, Krause Springs in Spicewood TX. Next is Big Oak RV in Camp Wood TX. Check their websites. I also use the RV park reviews website. Like others, you can't go wrong at TX State Parks. If you go alot buy a park pass. It waves the per person fee aa well as other discounts.
eortiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2015, 06:12 PM   #12

I visited Splashway today! Beautiful campground. 139 sites...lots of trees. I've always been partial to Yogi in Waller but now I'm not sure! We own a golf cart and Splashway lets you bring yours...Yogi does not!
3.92 rear axel ratio
Old 07-01-2015, 06:59 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by beauski99 View Post
It looks like you're in Corpus... If a little longer drive is good for you, you HAVE to go to Garner State Park. The absolute BEST park in Texas. Age groups from very young to very old. Mostly families, of all ages. There is even a dance every night behind the store in the park that is very popular. I have been taking my kids there for nearly 20 years, and now, this summer I am planning my 1st trip there with my 3 year old Grand-daughter....
New Braunfels is loaded with short stay RV parks up and down the rivers. Further north in the hill country, there are countless parks as well. Just depends on what the kids like to do or be around, water, horses...
A nice relaxing park is Breckenridge outside of Edna off 59 towards Houston. Good fishing and boating, ATV trails, Bike trails, Horse trails... There are tons of opportunities. Cant go wrong.
I've personally never been to Garner, but my wife has and said its amazing. That is definitely on our list. Kerrviile also seems nice, so it goes on the list also. I onto found one splashway outside of Houston.

Old 07-02-2015, 01:04 PM   #14

Two more parks that are nice are Tyler and Daingerfield sp. They're fairly close to each other and they both have a nice lake on them. Definitely worth a visit.
howzball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2015, 11:18 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by howzball View Post
Two more parks that are nice are Tyler and Daingerfield sp. They're fairly close to each other and they both have a nice lake on them. Definitely worth a visit.
A fellow camper told me this week about how nice Tyler SP is. Going to have to check it out.
Old 07-11-2015, 04:48 AM   #16

We like Garner State Park, Lake Buchanan near Ennis, and you can't go wrong with the Blazing Star in San Antonio!

2005 Dodge Ram 2500, 4x4
2017 Heritage Glen QBUD312
Zhanna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2015, 11:04 AM   #17

Anybody been to Coleto Creek Park? It looks like an amazing RV site between Goliad and Victoria. We are thinking of going there first.

Old 07-13-2015, 06:36 PM   #18

We go there often. We live in Victoria, only 15 miles away. The sites by the water (premium) are hard to get during the summer months and you have to rent those for 2 nights. Then there is an overflow area. They just added this area I believe it's numbered in the 70-80s. There are no trees/shade in that area. Other than that it is a really nice park. Some of the shower houses are a little out dated, some newer. If you go out a Saturday and ask sometimes they have cancelations in the premium area and will let you in for the 1 night. Nice little hike trails, small fishing pier. Not sure if it's still open but there is a Cajun restaurant just outside the park. A little pricy but worth it. Also there is a KOA camp ground just outside the park with a nice pool also a little pricy. We go there when we need a quick getaway.
Old 07-13-2015, 07:04 PM   #19

If you live in the area a few other nice places are IB Magee in Port A. $25 a night. No shade but right on the beach. Ask for a site I the grassy area. Shower houses are big nice and usually clean. You need a card to swipe to enter which they provide when you check in.
Goose Island SP in the Rockport Fulton area is also really nice. The sites at the bay front are impossible to get on the weekends but I recently found the wooded area in much nicer (not windy and sticky like the bay front) if the mosquitoes are not out. This is more of a camping, fishing area If you want to swim you need to drive to Rockport to the beach 15 minutes away.
Old 07-13-2015, 07:06 PM   #20

Just got back from Atlanta SP., Atlanta, Tx. Very nice. Our favorite is Lake Whitney SP., but it is flooded right now.
WJ.
MKClark is offline   Reply With Quote