Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-24-2014, 03:53 PM   #1

Favorite Camper

Greetings!
Have any of you switched from one FR trailer to another FR style? I'm asking because we currently have a 2013 VIBE and want to upgrade to a slightly larger trailer. One of the reasons for the considered change is quality. We don't know if the quality issues are because the VIBE was made to be light or because it is typical of FR trailers. We orginallly had a Kia Sorento when we purchased the VIBE so had to keep the weight down, but now we have a F-150 so can go with a heavier and slightly longer style (maybe 24'). It's only the two of us so we don't need much, but I'd like a walk-around bed, more storage space, ducted air, dual tires on each side and an enclosed bottom. So, have any of you upgraded?
Old 04-24-2014, 04:09 PM   #2
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

The light and ultra light campers use materials that are essentially just that, light weight. Other FR models use higher end (heavier) materials which give you quality, but also add weight. I'm sure you can find a model line within the FR family that will meet your needs.
AquaMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 04:09 PM   #3
Mod free 5er

Changed from an 08 Flagstaff 831RLSS to a new 12 Flagstaff 8528RKWS because we (TOWTA) liked the rear kitchen. And contrary to the weight police, it is 1/2T towable so I didn't have to buy an unwanted new truck.
Old 04-24-2014, 04:36 PM   #4

Our first TT was only 14'. Had to make the dinette into a bed and had to crawl over the other person to get up in the night. Had a v6 ranger for a TV that limited the size.
We now have a 2011 F-150 Super Crew and doubled the size of the trailer. We now have a 2014 Palomino Puma 25RS. Like you there is only 2 of us (plus 2 kitties) so we didn't want a bunkhouse model. DW demanded good wardrobe space which the 25RS has. I wanted ducted a/c and heat which we now have. We wanted a walk around queen bed and got that. I wanted a stove/oven which we got that but is sometimes an option. Two door frig which I got. Power awning standard (19'). All interior lights are LED standard. It will sleep 6 if necessary but not in my lifetime. I wanted 2 entry doors, (for safety reasons) if the there is a fire in the kitchen I didn't want to have to go out of a bedroom window and same if there is a fire in the bedroom. Lastly, I did not want a slide, simply because I wanted easy setup and breakdown and limit the water leak problems. And without a slide I have more options on camp sites.

A little off subject but years ago (I'm 75) a guy I worked with said never call on a married girl that lives in a trailer with one door. I don't have to be concerned about that now after 54 years of marriage.

It is at the max length I would accept, 28'. Dry weight is 5,100# so adding another 1,000# it is well under the max towing capacity of the TV. It tows well and I know it's behind me but not being taxed to the max. Price was reasonable at slightly over $15,000 where I purchased (plus tax).
DW is very happy with it and keeps telling me about it. I didn't know how she would adapt to RVing since previously her idea of roughing it was a black & white tv at a Holiday Inn. If mama ain't happy ain't no body happy.

I took it back to the dealer for a little warranty work a couple days ago. A couple drawers would not open, dinette table was positioned to close to the window blind and we couldn't raise it so they move it over a couple inches. They said they have been selling Pumas for 10 years and of all the manufacturers they sell for the Puma has the least problems and said they seldom see them again (what else would they say to a customer). But I studied manufacturers for quite a while and also felt that the Palomino Puma seemed to the best built of that style TT. I know no manufacturer produces a problem free product, just wanted to keep it at a minimum.
Camped 2016-71, 2017-33, 2018-29 booked
KT4W
BooBoo23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 04:50 PM   #5

Quote "Our first TT was only 14'. Had to make the dinette into a bed and had to crawl over the other person to get up in the night. Had a v6 ranger for a TV that limited the size."

When we first got married we had a pickup camper. It was fun when you had to climb over each other to go to the bathroom. Now 45 years later if I disturb her when I get up to use the bathroom she'll kill me!
jwedell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2014, 01:58 PM   #6

Thanks for the responses. It sounds like all of our concerns/issues with our current TT are due to the light weight design. Great news! I've been reading these forums for nearly a year now and don't see a lot of huge issues so do feel more comfortable sticking with another FR product. As I remember, I'd found a Puma style I like while looking so the endorsement was helpful. Thanks again!
Old 04-25-2014, 04:00 PM   #7
Site Team

right now, we're looking at upgrading our trailer.
trying to decide whether to just get a larger travel trailer that can be pulled by our current tow vehicle or go ahead and get a bigger truck and a 5th wheel for longer/extended trips south, during the winter.

if we get the TT, the front runner is the Rockwood 2618W.
if we get a 5th wheel, our choice for bigger one is the Columbus 370FL and the smaller choice is the Montana High Country 293RK.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
camper