Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-06-2009, 11:31 PM   #1

Feedback on rvdirect.com

We're in the market for a 3120DS. Have shopped locally and online. Looks like the best deal might be rvdirect.com and I'm looking for feedback (positive or negative) from anyone who has purchased a unit through them. The deliver cost (almost $4K) seem excessive but even considering that, the total cost is still well below what our local guys can do.

One other queston -- RVDirect.com allows you to select options you want on the unit. One option is for a 19"LCD TV (and DVD) mounted in the front bunk area. This option was priced at almost $1K which seemed at least 3x what I would expect to spend on a TV/DVD. Is there something unique about the installation that I'm missing or is this an option I should pass on and put in myself after deliver, saving about $700?
Cougguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 08:42 AM   #2

We actually are picking up our camper on Friday that we ordered from RVdirect.
I can't say enough good things about them. We worked with Jeff on the sale and Kristine on the financing. They are both very knowledgeable and nice to work with.
We have had no problems. We did everything by email except placing the actual order. We would never had thought that buying something like a travel trailer online could be so easy. Would definetely recommend using them. They were $7,000.00 cheaper than our local dealer. Also, when you get the quote from them, they will still come down from that price by several hundred dollars. As far as the t.v goes we are going to buy our own. They are too high on the t.v options. Hope this helps.
tchart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 08:56 AM   #3

I have the 22" HDTV, made by Venturer, and it has a separetely sent AUDIO signal to my Concertone 600 AM/FM DVD player with 5 speaker surround sound w/sub, and 2 separate speakers in the bedroom, and 2 more outside- A,B, and C buttons. The Concertone system has a lot of issues on this website, see postings, but I myself have had to replace one unit, when new and ever since, it's been fine. The TV that we have is a 12 volt unit, which works very well, and the digital channels are clear as a bell. If you camp with no power, this TV is great! I would question them on what system they are installing. Good luck with your decision! Randy
Flowmaster "true duals", 380 h.p., Bilstein shocks
08flagvlite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 11:35 AM   #4

We bought our Georgetown last year from RVdirect.com and all went very smoothly. Even with the delivery charge (at the time it was $3500) from Indiana to our home here in Washington we saved 17K over the local dealer! I would highly recommend them. One thing to know is that the prices for the options listed are list price and not the price you pay. I don't remember now where it shows you what your actual price for each option is. Also know that your local dealer will probably refuse to work on your rig if you didn't buy it from them, however for us that was just fine as our local FR dealer is a bunch of buffoons that I wouldn't let near my rig anyway. Many of the components in your rig like the TVs, Microwave, DVDs etc. are covered by their own manufacturer's warranties and therefore are not needing of a FR dealer to get fixed. Other items like awnings and appliances can be serviced by any RV dealer that is an authorized dealer for that product. So don't think you are stuck with having to find a FR dealer for service.

Good luck on your purchase.
Nights camped in 2009: 53 | Nights camped in 2010: 55
www.nwjeepn.com
NWJeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 09:19 PM   #5

What about the delivery process -- any problems there? My wife envisions a chain smoking, unbathed vagriant who can barely explain how to start the vehicle. I'm guessing it's set up a little better than that. How do they do clean/delivery prep after driving it across county?
Cougguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 10:47 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cougguy View Post
What about the delivery process -- any problems there? My wife envisions a chain smoking, unbathed vagriant who can barely explain how to start the vehicle. I'm guessing it's set up a little better than that. How do they do clean/delivery prep after driving it across county?
RVdirect hires an independent company to handle the delivery as far as I understand it. I wouldn't say that part went so well but all turned out fine anyway.

The driver that delivered our rig hit a cement post at a toll both somewhere around Chicago and did some minor damage to the right front corner down low as well as wiping out my hub cap. The company paid to have the repair work done without any hassle at all. The driver wasn't familiar at all with our rig and I ended up knowing a lot more than he did. He did admit that he knew more about the 5th wheels and this was his first coach he had delivered. Since him and his partner drove straight through by trading off they had it to us in about 2.5 days from leaving Indiana. The rig will not be washed but they (RVdirect) did have the propane filled, the water tank was half full so that the water system was up to pressure and the water heater was full.

Again, overall we are extremely pleased with our purchase through RVdirect and for the money saved I had no problem washing the rig when it got here.
www.nwjeepn.com
Old 10-08-2009, 03:55 AM   #7

Just curious, can you go to Indiana to pick units up or do they have to deliver them?
Also curious NWJeeper, You a Kasey Kahne fan by chance?
MightyMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 08:36 AM   #8

We are going to Elkhart tomorrow to pick ours up. RV direct has a facility there.
Old 10-08-2009, 10:17 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by MightyMike View Post
Just curious, can you go to Indiana to pick units up or do they have to deliver them?
Also curious NWJeeper, You a Kasey Kahne fan by chance?
You have to pick up your rig at a RVdirect facility but they do have one in Indiana as Tchart stated. Not much of a NASCAR fan. We do see his rigs around town on occasion, they park the semi's on the side streets in town when he is here. Have seen a really nice bus type of coach too, now theres a nice RV!
www.nwjeepn.com
Old 10-08-2009, 09:22 PM   #10

I also picked up my Georgetown from RVdirect in Orlando, one of their new facilities. Cant beat the pricing and the transactions were easy. Each of the pickup locations is managed by different people and they operate like dealers. All under the RVdirect umbrella but you wouldnt know it.

I had specifically requested they do the dealer prep a week early to catch any stupid problems. They didn't and subsequently had to mail me some silly parts the next week. They were nice to work with though and I highly recommend them. I would recommend contacting the service manager at the location directly before picking it up though.
2009 Ford Edge AWD Ltd towed
2011 Honda Fit Sport towed
ronhanson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2009, 11:03 AM   #11

We just got back on Saturday from picking up our camper in Elkhart. We were amazed at how smoothly this whole purchase has been. Gary at the Elkhart facility is awesome.
He had the camper all prepped and ready to go. It took about 2 hours for the demo and then he even helped us install our hitch and sway control. Would definetely recommend RV direct and will buy from them again.
Old 10-19-2009, 01:17 PM   #12

We just purchased a 8280ws over the internet/phone but thru terrytown rv and it was simple. Imported into Canada and saved a fortune.
swayze is offline   Reply With Quote