Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Closed Thread

Old 09-19-2019, 01:47 PM   #1

Fiery Holocaust on I-40 East Jeff County TN

https://youtu.be/jOnhY8chy2g
Link to short video...

Name:   fire thumbnail.JPG
Views: 4719
Size:  20.9 KB

Do you think this might have been caused by Propane? No apparent rollover or accident damage although it's hard to tell through the fire.

RV Holocaust on Tennessee I-40 East around Jefferson County. 9/18/2019. We were returning from a five day camping vacation at the Pocahontas Campground in Virginia. We had just transitioned onto I 40 W. after running down Route 81 and I noticed a huge column of oily smoke ahead in the eastbound lane.

As we came alongside, I saw that a medium large class a motorhome towing a small pickup truck was completely engaged in a massive fire. The truck was also on fire. I have never seen such a dramatic vehicle fire in all my considerable years. It did not look as though there was an accident or a rollover. I wonder if the vehicle had propane running the refrigerator or something electrical caught fire? Strangely considering the highly dramatic nature of the fire, I have not been able to find a thing on news. I really hope the occupants of the vehicle got out alive.
Old 09-19-2019, 02:04 PM   #2

My guess is that the fire was started in the engine bay of the motorhome and then spread quickly to the vehicle in tow. What a mess.

Hope everyone is ok. Probably some hurt feelings though especially when they see what insurance is going to pay them for the loss.
Old 09-19-2019, 02:08 PM   #3
Always Learning

There is absolutely no way to guess what caused the fire.
Old 09-19-2019, 02:16 PM   #4

Having the propane on would be the least of your worries.
Everything inside a motor home is pretty flammable and burns very hot.
Take an old couch cushion some time and throw it on a burn pile. It might as well be kerosene.
Once a fire starts in an RV it is going down.
Old 09-19-2019, 02:19 PM   #5
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by ependydad View Post
Doug, you know there are 154 ways to GUESS what caused the fire and that 102 of them will be posted in 3, 2, 1!

Nights Camped: '13 = 49/'14 = 74/'15 = 74/'16 = 85/'17 = 110/'18 = 111/'19 = 86/'20 =108/'21 = 115/'22 = 135/'23 = 78; Booked for 2024 = 69
Old 09-19-2019, 02:22 PM   #6

Quote:
Fuel, Oxygen, Heat = Fire.
Remember your "Fire Triangle"
Old 09-19-2019, 02:23 PM   #7
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Dan View Post
Doug, you know there are 154 ways to GUESS what caused the fire and that 102 of them will be posted in 3, 2, 1!
Absolutely correct.... but... since the OP asked, there are going to be lots of them (guesses) and that is all they will be. Period.

I too, hope no one got hurt.

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=90
Old 09-19-2019, 02:39 PM   #8
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Dan View Post
Well then, my guess is the truck was overweight trying to push that heavy motorhome. Diesel dually or bigger at a minimum. Otherwise, you're over ratings and that's 1,000% illegal.

And, you can clearly tell there wasn't a WDH in play. Without a Hensley, you're putting everyone on the road in danger. Wait, no- Pro Ride, Hensley's are crap.

The good news is, I heard the owner tried to use his gray water to hose the fire down but Good Samaritans stopped him from sprinkling that precious dirty water on the ground.

The noise police came around and complained about the road noise because the campsite was so close to the highway.

And lastly, the light police were out in full force over the brightness of the flames. Good thing the owner didn't get out his bucket light.

And second lastly, thank god there wasn't a contractor generator in sight.

--

Did I hit them all?
Old 09-19-2019, 03:09 PM   #9

Quote:
well then, my guess is the truck was overweight trying to push that heavy motorhome. Diesel dually or bigger at a minimum. Otherwise, you're over ratings and that's 1,000% illegal.

And, you can clearly tell there wasn't a wdh in play. Without a hensley, you're putting everyone on the road in danger. Wait, no- pro ride, hensley's are crap.

The good news is, i heard the owner tried to use his gray water to hose the fire down but good samaritans stopped him from sprinkling that precious dirty water on the ground.

The noise police came around and complained about the road noise because the campsite was so close to the highway.

And lastly, the light police were out in full force over the brightness of the flames. Good thing the owner didn't get out his bucket light.

--

did i hit them all?

like button!
Old 09-19-2019, 03:19 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWolfPaq82 View Post
Yep, I will guess a heat source caused the fire.
Now where are my disposable gloves for handling my sewer hose?
Old 09-19-2019, 03:53 PM   #11

Quote:
Well then, my guess is the truck was overweight trying to push that heavy motorhome. Diesel dually or bigger at a minimum. Otherwise, you're over ratings and that's 1,000% illegal.

And, you can clearly tell there wasn't a WDH in play. Without a Hensley, you're putting everyone on the road in danger. Wait, no- Pro Ride, Hensley's are crap.

The good news is, I heard the owner tried to use his gray water to hose the fire down but Good Samaritans stopped him from sprinkling that precious dirty water on the ground.

--

Did I hit them all?
Doug...you missed the really important one...CHINA BOMBS.
Old 09-19-2019, 04:47 PM   #12

All of the above.........................

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
2017 Wildwood Lodge 4092 BFL
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Lillie Spoiled Rotten Boxer Mix
Old 09-19-2019, 06:32 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by jd4010 View Post
My guess is that the fire was started in the engine bay of the motorhome and then spread quickly to the vehicle in tow. What a mess.
Your guess is a pretty good one. Having looked at lots of engine bays/under hoods over the years it's amazing how many people pay little attention to oil leaks and all the random wires added for various accessories.

Leaky valve covers, leaking transmission cooler/power steering lines, spilled oil, may be an annoyance if the oil drips on the driveway but when that oil meets a hot exhaust manifold while driving hard down the highway you can see fires like this.

Another common fire cause is careless wiring, added for accessories with no fuse close to power source.

Propane? Not likely to cause fires but it sure will burn when a fire does start.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
Old 09-19-2019, 06:36 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by MtBiker View Post
Once a fire starts in an RV it is going down.
And one can wonder how long they smelled something hot before they noticed smoke and flame.

My mother and her husband (not my dad) smelled hot oil with their MH many years ago. Pulled over, saw flames dripping from engine, got out fire extinguisher and saved the unit. When they stopped the flames had JUST started but they payed attention to the hot smell.

Old 09-20-2019, 06:25 AM   #15
Citrus County, Fl.

There is actually a 4th quadrant to the fire triangle, the tetrahedron. Also, usually involves a hazardous act.

Quote:
99 Terry 31G
Old 09-20-2019, 09:48 AM   #16

Quote:
Doug...you missed the really important one...CHINA BOMBS.
Yes, spontaneous combustion waiting to happen.

The world is a great book, of which those who never stir from home
read only a page. - St. Augustine
Old 09-20-2019, 10:19 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by GL1800Rider View Post
There is actually a 4th quadrant to the fire triangle, the tetrahedron. Also, usually involves a hazardous act.
Aren't most hazardous acts often preceeded by the words "here, hold my beer" ?[emoji57]

Old 09-20-2019, 10:38 AM   #18
Noob

[emoji23] [emoji23] [emoji23] [emoji23]
Quote:

--

Did I hit them all?
Old 09-20-2019, 11:19 AM   #19

Quote:

--

Did I hit them all?
Doug, you forgot "China bomb" tires blowing out and causing a fire by pieces hitting a propane line
2021 Chevy Silverado 3500HD DRW 4X4 Duramax
“It's not how old you are, it's how you are old.”Jules Renard
"It's not the years...it's the mileage." - Indiana Jones
Old 09-20-2019, 11:26 AM   #20

Most constructive suggestion so far...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitanMike View Post
And one can wonder how long they smelled something hot before they noticed smoke and flame.

My mother and her husband (not my dad) smelled hot oil with their MH many years ago. Pulled over, saw flames dripping from engine, got out fire extinguisher and saved the unit. When they stopped the flames had JUST started but they payed attention to the hot smell.
Title of comment says it all...
Closed Thread