Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-15-2014, 11:09 AM   #61

Quote:
Originally Posted by ependydad View Post
Lots of great comments.
Ahh, this was one that I didn't disqualify for me but should have. I've found that I get sticker shock when someone wants $60/day for a golf cart. I also looked into off-campground rentals a few times but finding folks who rent them was tough and inconvenient. Over Labor Day, in Dover, PA- the closest rental was like 45 minutes away. I didn't want that hassle before/after the trip.
Just curious - have you done a cost comparison to see how many days you would need to use the GC to equal the cost of a privately owned unit, plus the upgrades needed to tow it. At $60/day you would need it 100 days to equal a $6000 cost for the GC and extras.

If cost was not a issue, I would do is a toy hauler. That idea provides the opportunity to use the ramp as a back deck as well as using the garage as a second bedroom.

New 2015 Forest River RV Vengeance Touring Edition 39C14 Toy Hauler Fifth Wheel at Fun Town RV | Cleburne, TX | #133726

Old 10-15-2014, 12:02 PM   #62
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by textman View Post
Check this out...
That's awesome! That hits on a handful of things we've talked about- roof size is generally big enough for the cart; the cart needs to be a "convertible" with a removable roof; they appear to have locked the steering in place with straps (maybe that was done afterwards). I like the integrated storage of the ramps.

There appears to be some kind of roller on the front- a pulley, maybe. I'm betting on there being a winch; possibly integrated into the custom truck bed. Not sure, though.

Looks like they have the ability to tie into the custom bed so they have a beefy footing. It almost looks like they still have some feet/risers going from the door sill to the rack. Building on that idea, I've wondered about a heavy-duty kayak rack that was anchored to the truck bed like US Racks does:

I wonder if something stout enough could be built that minimizes the need for front supports. Problem with that- the further back the truck bed that you go, the more you then have to worry about clearance between the top of added height to the truck's bed rails and the bottom of the fifth wheel.
Old 10-15-2014, 12:08 PM   #63
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arefbee View Post
Just curious - have you done a cost comparison to see how many days you would need to use the GC to equal the cost of a privately owned unit, plus the upgrades needed to tow it. At $60/day you would need it 100 days to equal a $6000 cost for the GC and extras.
So far this year, we've camped for 74 nights. I don't think we're going to make my plan of 100 nights, but we'll definitely be up to 90. That doesn't account for the handful of places that we wouldn't/couldn't take it or those that it wouldn't make sense to (not sure I'd use it for a weekend trip and clearly, no need for overnight traveling stops).

Quote:
If cost was not a issue, I would do is a toy hauler. That idea provides the opportunity to use the ramp as a back deck as well as using the garage as a second bedroom.

New 2015 Forest River RV Vengeance Touring Edition 39C14 Toy Hauler Fifth Wheel at Fun Town RV | Cleburne, TX | #133726

Do you want my list of issues with this one for us now or later? Offhand, we didn't like the loft idea- making beds up there would just be a hassle. No u-shaped dinette. Wife didn't like the "livability" of the garage- said it was too "garage feeling" (shocker, I know ). We like our 1/2 bathroom with direct outside accessibility (though, we use this a lot less than I would have guessed).

But, most importantly- I like my camper now. It just doesn't do this one thing.
Old 10-15-2014, 09:19 PM   #64

Quote:
Originally Posted by dblr View Post
Would like to see him load that up, looks interesting.
Yep he had a winch he used to lower it off the back with ramps he attached. Really cool homemade contraption...
textman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2014, 09:20 PM   #65

Quote:
Originally Posted by cecilt View Post
Looks like ocean lakes where that picture was taken.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
Yep that is where it was...
textman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2014, 09:30 AM   #66
Always Learning

Just saw this over at rv.net:

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1415456860.842738.jpg
Views:	301
Size:	49.1 KB
ID:	66028

I have to say, it was nice having our car for errands and running around. We need a 4-seater smart car!
Old 11-09-2014, 05:36 AM   #67

I saw that one also, I prefer my method better. I am looking at other options of what kind of car I could carry.
dblr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2014, 11:20 AM   #68
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by dblr View Post
I saw that one also, I prefer my method better. I am looking at other options of what kind of car I could carry.

I'd have a very hard time of convincing my wife to go for a HDT. Plus, no idea how my 2 midgets fit into the mix with a HDT.

I think I'd prefer it, though.
Old 11-09-2014, 06:57 PM   #69

Quote:
I'd have a very hard time of convincing my wife to go for a HDT. Plus, no idea how my 2 midgets fit into the mix with a HDT.

I think I'd prefer it, though.
Some guys have take the sleeper section and removed the bed and installed a couch that breaks down to a bed and also installed seatbelts, so it can be done for a family, mine does not have lower side windows so that would kind of stink as you can only see thru the windshield. Others have put in lower windows but for us right now it would not be worth it.
I love towing with the HDT and next year we head west to Co. & New Mexico so feel it will be worth it. We should get together so you can take her for a spin to see what you think.
dblr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2014, 07:58 PM   #70
Camper Less Camping

Dunno....but after reading all these ideas, driving a motorhome with a pickup in tow while the golf cart rides in the bed is looking pretty convenient!

Old 11-09-2014, 08:15 PM   #71

Send a message via AIM to B and B
Quote:
That's awesome! That hits on a handful of things we've talked about- roof size is generally big enough for the cart; the cart needs to be a "convertible" with a removable roof; they appear to have locked the steering in place with straps (maybe that was done afterwards). I like the integrated storage of the ramps.

There appears to be some kind of roller on the front- a pulley, maybe. I'm betting on there being a winch; possibly integrated into the custom truck bed. Not sure, though.

Looks like they have the ability to tie into the custom bed so they have a beefy footing. It almost looks like they still have some feet/risers going from the door sill to the rack. Building on that idea, I've wondered about a heavy-duty kayak rack that was anchored to the truck bed like US Racks does:

I wonder if something stout enough could be built that minimizes the need for front supports. Problem with that- the further back the truck bed that you go, the more you then have to worry about clearance between the top of added height to the truck's bed rails and the bottom of the fifth wheel.
You could use a Sidewinder pin box and move the pivot point back.

Brian
2015 Heartland Bighorn 5th Wheel
2013 FR Rockwood 8289WS 5th Wheel
2012 FR Rockwood 2703 SS Travel Trailer
B and B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2014, 08:17 PM   #72
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Just saw this over at rv.net:

Attachment 66028

I have to say, it was nice having our car for errands and running around. We need a 4-seater smart car!
OMG is that an F-150?
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2014, 08:25 PM   #73

Send a message via AIM to B and B
I thought it be too Herk, zoomed up it might be looks like older f250 clank and clack oil burner.
2015 Heartland Bighorn 5th Wheel
2013 FR Rockwood 8289WS 5th Wheel
2012 FR Rockwood 2703 SS Travel Trailer
B and B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2014, 07:16 PM   #74

Quote:

We bought our golf car in 2010 as a used unit from a dealer that buys & resells used units from golf courses in New England with short seasons & sells them in NC. Our Golf car came with the additions of a new body, new long roof, new fold down rear seat, new windshield, new wheel covers, new factory style head & tail lights and new batteries all with a 1 year warranty. (The campground we go to mainly, only allows electric GCs) all for $3200 we paid for it in less than 2 years in rental savings. At some point in the next few years it will need new batteries which are pricey.
We did end up buying a new 2013 36 foot, $29K toyhauler two years ago to carry the GC after having the DW pull it behind her for a year but I do not count that cost as now we can sleep 10 & have both sons, the DIL and the Grandson the dogs & the Granddogs along at the same time .....Priceless.

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
2017 Wildwood Lodge 4092 BFL
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Lillie Spoiled Rotten Boxer Mix
Oaklevel is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
fifth wheel, wheel