Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-06-2014, 05:17 PM   #1
Always Learning

Fifth Wheel & Golf Cart

Firstly- this is totally pie in the sky and extraordinarily unlikely to ever happen.

That out of the way- I'm trying to think through the process of having a fifth wheel and a taking a golf cart along. At the same time, taking off all reasonable solutions:
  1. I want to keep my camper, it's not a toy hauler
  2. I can't/won't double tow
  3. I'm not enthusiastic about ideas that extend my total overall length; that means no to the follow:
    1. Idaho Tote type trailer at the back
    2. Heavy duty platform off the back
    3. Don't want to do a heavy duty platform up front
    4. Excludes setup like the Automated Safety Hitch
  4. I want to keep my truck (though, for argument's sake- let's say I'm either OK on GVWR/payload and/or willing to exceed it)
  5. I want to keep my truck bed (i.e. no flatbed conversion)

At this point, it seems like the only possible solution that I haven't disqualified is a heavy duty rack over top of my crew cab truck.

I figure it would need supports down to the front wheel wells and some kind of tie in to the rear of the truck. On top of that, it would need some extraordinarily long ramps that break down into sections and lay flat in the truck bed during travel. I think I would prefer a winch (like f1000Turbo did for the crazy boat + travel trailer setup he did for his boss) vs. driving up. One, it would save me deathly harm and two, the ramps could be shorter provided enough clearance.

The cart would have to be fairly well battoned down for the wind beating it would take.

This is the closest picture that I found, but its framework would still be an issue. It's the general idea, though:

I'm kicking myself for not taking pictures years ago of a heavy duty rack outside of an RV show. There was nothing up there, but it was the idea that I keep coming back to seeing.
Old 10-06-2014, 05:19 PM   #2
Always Learning

The other idea that I kicked around is one of the small-version golf carts that fold up/break down to a smaller size. The problem is (ahem) (cough) my girth and their weight limits. By the time you load up me, wife, kid 1, kid 2, and the random crap we take- we exceed most.
Old 10-06-2014, 05:36 PM   #3

Following this thread because I too would like a golf cart without moving into a toy hauler or double towing. However don't believe it's going to be possible.
mcnabbwr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2014, 05:41 PM   #4
Camper Less Camping

Easiest solution while keeping a fifth wheel camper is to triple tow or move into a TH setup...now if your willing to go back to a TT, voila...plenty of room in the bed of your truck for the golf cart!

Otherwise, it just gets too complicated and all the good solutions are available now with not much over engineering to figure out, IMO!

Old 10-06-2014, 05:50 PM   #5

Send a message via AIM to B and B
Rent One at the destination.
2015 Heartland Bighorn 5th Wheel
2013 FR Rockwood 8289WS 5th Wheel
2012 FR Rockwood 2703 SS Travel Trailer
B and B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2014, 05:52 PM   #6

Talking I think your gonna need a bigger truck.....

Gas or electric cart?

Electric @ 850 lbs

Gas is between 500 and 800 depending on brand and model.

In any case that is a big load to have hanging over the cab.

Would you feel comfortable 7 feet or more off the ground with no chute?

Sway is going to be a major issue and fuel mileage is a thing in the past.

Pie in the sky, yah, all two layers of it...
Old 10-06-2014, 06:17 PM   #7

I know double towing is not legal in your state or any near by you so being next door in VA the Toyhauler route is how we went. Have seen some shorter carts on back bumper of 5th wheels & Idaho totes but not seen one over the cab yet.

Many campgrounds only allow the electric carts We bought our cart at $50 a day rental it did not take long to pay for it.

I know they don't pull fifth wheels but Uhaul service trucks are designed to haul their rental trailers over the cab on built in ramps on F series 350 or 450s so it can be done.

Good Luck

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
2017 Wildwood Lodge 4092 BFL
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Lillie Spoiled Rotten Boxer Mix
Oaklevel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2014, 06:19 PM   #8
Mod free 5er

Don't think it would be too hard to accomplish if you went from the very front of the bed to the front bumper. I have built several pipe racks for trucks that extended from the rear of the bed to the front bumper and tied them to the front frame horns. I would not load over the tailgate tho'. A power winch would be simple to mount and you could even mount it to the cart and pull itself up with you in it.
Old 10-06-2014, 06:22 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

You and I have been having the same pipe dreams. I too had been imagining some sort of over the cab rack like the ones you see on trucks hauling cars. I'm curious about the ideas we will see.
asquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2014, 08:23 PM   #10

Have someone that will be camping with you follow you pulling the cart on a trailer.

It's what we do when I want my jeep, golf cart and boat at the campground. I can only tow one of these at a time.

Well that's on those rough roads in Louisiana.
Old 10-06-2014, 08:27 PM   #11
Camper Less Camping

With ependydad being very weight conscious...don't see his TV having the payload room to add a suitable rack plus weight of golf cart over the cab portion of the RAM truck?

Old 10-06-2014, 09:08 PM   #12

I bought a golf cart thinking it would be nice to take along, we have a toyhualer. However not a single campground that we like in our area will allow private golf carts. So its for sale. I was told that insurance and complaints were the reason carts we're no longer allowed.

There is a custom truck rack shop near my home. I saw a rack they built that held a sand rail over the cab. So it could done.

Nights Camped 2012 (7) 2013 (33) 2014 (27) 2015 (34) 2016 (27) 2017 (32) 2018 (34) 2019 (35) 2020 (20) 2021 (5)
Kaboom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2014, 09:53 AM   #13
Always Learning

Lots of great comments.

Quote:
Originally Posted by B and B View Post
Rent One at the destination.
Ahh, this was one that I didn't disqualify for me but should have. I've found that I get sticker shock when someone wants $60/day for a golf cart. I also looked into off-campground rentals a few times but finding folks who rent them was tough and inconvenient. Over Labor Day, in Dover, PA- the closest rental was like 45 minutes away. I didn't want that hassle before/after the trip.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford Idaho View Post
Gas or electric cart?

Electric @ 850 lbs. Gas is between 500 and 800 depending on brand and model. In any case that is a big load to have hanging over the cab.
It's a crew cab truck which has quite a bit of roof space. My vision is that the rack would be self-supporting and the roof wouldn't be taking much weight.

Quote:
Would you feel comfortable 7 feet or more off the ground with no chute?
You mean for getting it up there? I'd want tracks and a winch. No, I wouldn't want to drive it up/down.

Quote:
Sway is going to be a major issue and fuel mileage is a thing in the past.

Pie in the sky, yah, all two layers of it...
Please explain what you mean by sway. Why would this induce sway? (Bearing in mind, this is a fifth wheel.)

You're right about fuel mileage. But I'm already pulling a 13' 4" tall wall behind of the truck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCoot View Post
Don't think it would be too hard to accomplish if you went from the very front of the bed to the front bumper. I have built several pipe racks for trucks that extended from the rear of the bed to the front bumper and tied them to the front frame horns. I would not load over the tailgate tho'. A power winch would be simple to mount and you could even mount it to the cart and pull itself up with you in it.
I thought if anyone could close their eyes and see how this would be built, it'd be you. Why would I need to be in-it for winching it up? I looked and found Turbs' setup - different situation, but same concept: a winch pulling a wheeled object up a long ramp.

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...oat-54070.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by Campin Cajun View Post
Have someone that will be camping with you follow you pulling the cart on a trailer. It's what we do when I want my jeep, golf cart and boat at the campground. I can only tow one of these at a time.
Problem is, we rarely camp with the same folks for repeat trips and if we do, we often all just pile into the truck. I'm not sure that I want an extra vehicle just for a golf cart.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cajun Po-Boy View Post
With ependydad being very weight conscious...don't see his TV having the payload room to add a suitable rack plus weight of golf cart over the cab portion of the RAM truck?
There's truth in this. I tried to caveat it out in my original post. But, even being pin-light with my camper, this undoubtedly would put me over GVWR/payload. What I really worry about is going over FAWR or tire load capacity up there. I know where my usual and heavy setups put me weight-wise already.

Given the weights like Ford Idaho posted, I know this is a legitimate issue. But clearly, it's acceptable and safe to overload a 1-ton dually, just don't do the same with a 1/2-ton or you'll risk fire and damnation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaboom View Post
I bought a golf cart thinking it would be nice to take along, we have a toyhualer. However not a single campground that we like in our area will allow private golf carts. So its for sale. I was told that insurance and complaints were the reason carts we're no longer allowed.

There is a custom truck rack shop near my home. I saw a rack they built that held a sand rail over the cab. So it could done.
From what I've seen, most of the Thousand Trails parks that we go to allow them. As long as you have proof of insurance or something.

This seems to be sort of common for sand rails. The difference is that (I feel like- no actual knowledge though) most of them are long and a lot of them extend into the truck bed which I need to avoid for the fifth wheel.
Old 10-07-2014, 09:53 AM   #14
Always Learning

Turbo's boat/winch/project:

Old 10-07-2014, 10:03 AM   #15
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by ependydad View Post
...I thought if anyone could close their eyes and see how this would be built, it'd be you. Why would I need to be in-it for winching it up? I looked and found Turbs' setup - different situation, but same concept: a winch pulling a wheeled object up a long ramp...
You wouldn't if you locked the steering so it would not turn.
Old 10-07-2014, 10:06 AM   #16
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCoot View Post
You wouldn't if you locked the steering so it would not turn.
Ahh, the steering. That makes sense. Ok, something to consider.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCoot
I would not load over the tailgate tho'.
You also mentioned this. Would you come off of the side of the truck? Or what are you envisioning here?
Old 10-07-2014, 10:11 AM   #17
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by ependydad View Post
You also mentioned this. Would you come off of the side of the truck? Or what are you envisioning here?
Just let the tailgate down rather that go over it like the one in the picture.
Old 10-07-2014, 10:14 AM   #18
Moderator Emeritus

Alright, getting the ol' tinfoil speculation hat out:

1) On the roof of the truck, like you said. But don't discount that you could ramp from the back or the front, since you're thinking of removable ramps anyways.
2) On the roof of the 5'er? (need some really long ramps and better watch your heights!)
3) Hang it vertically on the back of the 5'er? (You'll need a winch rated above the weight of the golf cart so it can 'lift' itself.)

Realistically though, I'd say your best bet is to forget the golf cart and convert your bike to a moped, and get one of those kid carrier bike trailers for the young'uns. That or switch to a TH. At least with a TH, once the golf cart's unloaded you can then use the garage space for your office.
Old 10-07-2014, 10:20 AM   #19
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaadk View Post
...2) On the roof of the 5'er? (need some really long ramps and better watch your heights!)...
Then you could just leave it parked because you sure couldn't tow it down any highway that had any overpasses.
Old 10-07-2014, 10:20 AM   #20
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Www.rvrover.net

Turbs
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fifth wheel, wheel