Old 07-06-2014, 10:15 AM   #11

Would the weight of all passengers, pets and your stuff exceed 350 lbs? Probably . So it's marginal. Can you? Yes. Should you or is it safe ? That depends on your comfort level. A purist would say, no.

Old 07-06-2014, 10:19 AM   #12

For the majority of trips the wife and kids are in a different vehicle towing the golf cart, so this could work, but we will look into it more. Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums

Old 07-06-2014, 10:32 AM   #13

If you want to keep your current TV perhaps work backwards into a number for the TT weight.

What is the tow rating of your Tundra? Tow ratings assume a truck with 150lb driver and no payload..every pound over that in P/L you add (hitch, passengers, beer gut, firewood, bikes, etc) you lose in tow rating. It's very much an either/or issue.

900lb tounge wt sounds like like a big trailer..more than a 1/2 ton should be towing IMO.

1296lb payload is very low for a 1/2 ton truck. Our silverado is just under 1500lbs (7000 gvwr and scaled at 5554) and with 2 adults, 2 teens and a dog we're putting 700lbs of 'cargo' in there...leaving only 746 for toungue wt (hitch is incl in truck weight)

Our TT loaded for camping weighs ~6300 (possibly more now...we've added some zero gravity chairs, games, pool toys.. so 6400?). TW should be ~12%, or 770lbs.

So on P/L we're probably over. GCWR/tow rating we've got room to spare (14,500 gcwr).

W/ your truck we'd be ~540 lbs tongue wt..pop up territory or maybe a 19' hybrid.

Power isn't the issue...cooling, braking, transmission, handling in emergency situations, etc. Not every trip is high noon on a flat stright road w/ no traffic or deer or potholes at 70F.

Comfort/confidence in towing counts too - it's no fun to dread the trip or arrive wrung out from white knuckling.

BTW, out TT 'books' at 5500lbs...and FR claims it's 'mid size suv towable'...what a joke!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grey9712 View Post
So we have found a rockwood travel trailer with a hitch weight of 954 pounds. It is similar to the floorplan we wanted in the fifth wheel. Once again the truck has a cargo capacity of 1,296 pounds. This is all new to us, so would this be cutting it too close?

Nights camped 2011: 11 2012: 18 2013: 12 2014: 12 2015: 13 2016: 56 2017: 8+
prof_fate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2014, 10:49 AM   #14
Mod free 5er

I'll stick with my #7 post. I don't have any trouble whatsoever using my 1/2T Silverado pulling our 5er. It pulls, stops and handles the 5er just fine! Don't know what else you could ask of it.
Old 07-06-2014, 11:54 AM   #15

I'm in agreement with OC. I tow a 27' cherokee with my Jeep Commander 5.9L. My TT/TV is at weight on trips. When we travel we take the time and enjoy the ride (getting there is half the fun), we travel at a safe speed, don't impede traffic, and have fun seeing the sights.
Old 07-06-2014, 12:11 PM   #16

Fifth wheel and tow vehicle

The be exact, the camper that has the similar floorplan that we like is the Rockwood Signature Ultra Lite 8293IKRBS. It has a hitch weight of 954 pounds and a dry weight of 7,230 pounds. My tundra can tow 10,400 pounds. So the only thing I might be over in(by 100-200 pounds max) would be the cargo capacity. From what I've heard, I believe it can handle this. Thank you all for your help and I will post our final decision when we come to it.

Old 07-06-2014, 12:13 PM   #17

That's a good point, traveling at safe speeds (often well below the speed limit) .... So asks yourself .... Are you ok going 55-65 in a 75 mph interstate? Are you ok going 45 up certain steep grades in the slow lane? If you are, then pushing the limit is less dangerous for you. I've been passed by folks towing fast .... Such that 2 hours later, I saw them both in a ditch rolled over ... when they got into a big thunderstorm and obviously got blown off the road as they were clearly at their max and speeding .... Bad combination
Old 07-06-2014, 12:50 PM   #18
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taybrynn View Post
That's a good point, traveling at safe speeds (often well below the speed limit) .... So asks yourself .... Are you ok going 55-65 in a 75 mph interstate? Are you ok going 45 up certain steep grades in the slow lane? If you are, then pushing the limit is less dangerous for you. I've been passed by folks towing fast .... Such that 2 hours later, I saw them both in a ditch rolled over ... when they got into a big thunderstorm and obviously got blown off the road as they were clearly at their max and speeding .... Bad combination
If you exceed 65 mph, you are just asking for trouble. As they say, you can't fix stupid. I have no problem running 55-65 on an interstate with a 75mph limit. It isn't like they can't see you from a long ways back and can always pass you. Same going up hills/mountains. Semi's don't run much over 40mph up most mountains. I pass some and get passed by some. Those that can't pass can just wait like I do when in a car.
Old 07-07-2014, 11:07 AM   #19

Having spent 5 hours driving in holiday interestate traffic yesterday I'd debate that doing 50mp in a 75 as 'safe'...it's certainly not polite and considerate to all the other traffic on the road!

It creates a 'rolling roadblock' which then has drivers getting 'ragy' in their behavior.

I've seen and experienced more than once a-holes passing on the berm, on curves, over double yellow lines, etc. So perhaps YOU are not driving recklessly but it can cause others to do so...and when they're crossing the double yellow or passing you on the left berm on an interstate, trust me, YOU won't feel safe!

And we've had this discussion before about numbers...they exist for a reason. Who knows that the reason is...but if your not gonna follow them then why bother following any rules? Just follow those you find convenient and ignore the rest!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taybrynn View Post

Nights camped 2011: 11 2012: 18 2013: 12 2014: 12 2015: 13 2016: 56 2017: 8+
prof_fate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 01:35 PM   #20

And there lies the problem, your an a** if you drive too slow, or a jerk if your going too fast. a*****e drivers who think the road belongs to them and everyone else needs to get out of their way. Screw them! If I'm towing anything and the speed limit is 70 mph and I'm doing 60mph in the right lane I'm within the laws of the road. Most expressways limit semi and vehicles towing to 10 to 15 mph lower than posted limits. If the people behind me on a four lane hwy is getting upset because they can't pass me because traffic is going too fast in the right lane, then they haven't learned how to drive on a freeway. If they cut me off and give me the one finger salute it's them having a bad day not me. I'll just wave and tell them to have a nice day. I don't get upset, no point,let them have the bad day.

Tags
fifth wheel, tow vehicle, wheel