Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-24-2016, 07:02 PM   #21

I see, thought Titan made one for the Chevy, sorry about that...

Cut a hole in the topper and then cover it with something like this.

Old 06-24-2016, 07:04 PM   #22

Mine has always been under a tonneau cover. That way I can open it to fill the truck or tank and the tank is secure. I looked at a full size topper and if I went that way I would need one with a window. With diesels you can buy kits to pipe the aux tank straight into the regular tank. That is not possible with gas. Personally I prefer the manual method because I know how much fuel I've used. Anyway, I had my tank custom made to fit under the undercover tonneau on my Tundra. Now with my 2500HD Chevy I bought a different tonneau cover (Diamond Back) but works the same way. I have vented my tank a few different ways. One was through the holes in the front of the bed. Just fed a hose out the hole. Occasionally if the tank were really full it would leak a little fuel. Now I vent using a long coiled up hose that prevents it from leaking. The air escapes and the fuel will collect in the hose, but drain back to the tank. The company that made my tank is ATI. They were the only one I could find five years ago that would make a 35 gallon tank certified for gas. If you want pictures let me know and I can snap some.

As others have said there are other options like Titan Tanks that replace the factory tank, those are fine, but I like the flexibility my tank offers. I got a new truck and just moved the tank.
Kf4mnc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2016, 08:46 PM   #23
Just A Member

If you go to a junk yard and get a fuel module out of a fuel tank you can remove the vapor line vent valve or so called rollover valve and put on the end of the vent hose. It will prevent fuel escaping but still let it vent properly. Any newer vehicle with in tank fuel pump must have rollover protection from fuel escaping the tank thru the vent to the vapor canister. I was a GM fuel system designer for 20 years.

If you don't mind me asking how much did you have into you aux tank ????
2013 Silverado 1500 4x4 6.2L Max Tow
EDABEUT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2016, 08:51 PM   #24

My extra fuel tank was made to put under a cover, it's 100gal. It's 8 years old but it allows me to choose where I fill up at. Truck with camper hooked up has never been in a gas station. Tank has a leak right now but I'm going to fix thatClick image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByForest River Forums1466819454.557570.jpg
Views:	126
Size:	58.6 KB
ID:	112097Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByForest River Forums1466819474.815642.jpg
Views:	121
Size:	60.1 KB
ID:	112098

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
spock123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2016, 08:54 PM   #25

Oh I forgot to add the pump is 12 volt, it's 8gal a minute. The pump has long leads so I open the hood and connect pump to truck battery.

Old 06-24-2016, 08:55 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by EDABEUT View Post
If you go to a junk yard and get a fuel module out of a fuel tank you can remove the vapor line vent valve or so called rollover valve and put on the end of the vent hose. It will prevent fuel escaping but still let it vent properly. Any newer vehicle with in tank fuel pump must have rollover protection from fuel escaping the tank thru the vent to the vapor canister. I was a GM fuel system designer for 20 years.

If you don't mind me asking how much did you have into you aux tank ????
My tank does have a roll-over protection vent valve. It is the same vent that once enough pressure is built up it vents through. Occasionally some fuel will come out with it. Very little, but still some. I noticed it more when I used it for Gas, but since I converted it to diesel I have a longer vent hose that goes further up which might better prevent the leaking of fuel.

In any case, it has been a few years since I purchased it, but I want to say all in with tank and pump (GPI from Tractor Supply) I have around $1200 in it give or take. Again, this is a custom tank made to fit below the bed rail AND most importantly, legal to use with Gasoline or diesel. There are others that are much cheaper. ATI doesn't sell direct, but I dealt directly with the company through one of their vendors. That is, I told ATI what I wanted, they sent it to a vendor to write up an order and then process the order. (www.atitank.com) .

Edit: To add about the pump - mine is wired to connect to a 7-Pin trailer plug. I have a plug in my bed for a F/W, or I can plug in at the bumper. I have also fitted my aux air pump to run the same way. (They actually have power-pole connectors on them so I can connect via a 7 pin adapter or a set or battery style jumper cables. I love the flexibility.)
Old 06-24-2016, 08:57 PM   #27
Just A Member

I like that. Where's our like button

Looks like you have diesel thou not a gasser.
2013 Silverado 1500 4x4 6.2L Max Tow
EDABEUT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2016, 09:08 PM   #28

Here is a link to my original tank set-up when I got it from my Tundra. It is more or less the same now, just set-up for diesel fuel instead.

Link - Transferflow tank, fuel cans, or multiple stops? - Page 2 - TundraTalk.net - Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum
Old 06-25-2016, 06:18 AM   #29

You will find that many semi fuel bays are only for commercial trucks so you have to use the regular fuel islands. A slip tank is a great addition. Hint: If you have a local big truck recycler near by, see what do with the fuel from the wrecks that come in. I get fuel for $0.90 a gallon and have never gotten bad fuel in 11 years but I don't get fuel there in winter.
2011 Puma 295kbh
larryo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2016, 06:47 AM   #30
Mod free 5er

Have been camping since 1960 with everything from a tent to a 31' tt and now a 31' 5th wheel and have never had trouble getting into gas stations to get gas. I guess I just don't understand OP's particular problem.
OldCoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2016, 07:13 AM   #31
Insert witty title here

Just make sure you have enough cargo capacity in your TV for the extra weight of the fuel and the tank. Unless you have a really light trailer, you'd be pushing it with anything smaller than a 3/4 ton.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

2021 Transcend Xplor 247BH
Husky WDH with Sway Control
2021 Chevy Silverado 2500HD LT 6.6L V8 Duramax
Forever in my memory. Forever in my heart.
Laurie J. Wood 3/22/67 - 8/23/19
timfromma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2016, 08:03 AM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCoot View Post
Have been camping since 1960 with everything from a tent to a 31' tt and now a 31' 5th wheel and have never had trouble getting into gas stations to get gas. I guess I just don't understand OP's particular problem.

Ditto. Even with the previous setups of motorhomes and enclosed trailers. At one time I had a 32' gasser with a 24' enclosed trailer and never had issues at gas stations. Could be a difference in location on routes of travel though.

The last motorhome was diesel, so we almost always stopped at truck stops on the way to the track. That was easy except for having to go in and leave a card.

My dad was a truck driver and made me pull a trailer most of the time when I had my learners permit. He would get me into some crazy situations for a 15 year old and talk me through how to get out. He always said that if you can get in, there's always a way out.

2016 Sandpiper 376BHOK
2500HD Chevrolet

head gamez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2016, 08:56 AM   #33

Quote:
No one sleeps in it. I have it packed up pretty good when traveling. I would expect to have the aux tank vented to outside. The biggest issue I see is cutting a hole in topper to be able to fill the aux tank. Then how to fill the normal tank from aux tank. Will probably have a fill nozzle and gravity feed???

Wish they had a larger tank option for these Chevy trucks. Kind of dumb to put a 6.2 L in getting 10 MPG and only have a 21 gal useable tank.

Sounds like you have my problem too- small tank syndrome!

Look at car-parts.com. I am looking for the larger tank that came on the '15 & '16's for the tundra. It uses the same fuel pump and mounts in same location- just a little longer. Many yards won't "common carrier" ship so look for one in your area. Get the vin of the wrecked truck and call your local GM dealer- they can tell you if the wreck has the larger tank or not. Also make sure the pump and straps are the same.

2014 Evo 2850 "Woodstock"
2011 Toyota Tundra "Clifford"

Just glad to get away
HONDAMAN174 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2016, 10:00 AM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCoot View Post
Well, I'm pretty sure those that do have issues aren't lying about it. Just different circumstances from you. Or you're the absolute best vehicle driver in the history of the world. Could be either of those.
2016 Ford F350 XLT 6.7 Powerstroke DRW 4X4
2016 Brookstone 395RL
dwayneb236 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2016, 10:05 AM   #35
Insert witty title here

It's all about the angles at which these pumps are laid out relative to each other and the main station building. Pulling in is the easy part. Getting out with building in front of you and other cars behind you becomes a bit more tricky. Pumps that are laid out parallel to the building that allow for easy pull through are what I look for.

2021 Transcend Xplor 247BH
Husky WDH with Sway Control
2021 Chevy Silverado 2500HD LT 6.6L V8 Duramax
Forever in my memory. Forever in my heart.
Laurie J. Wood 3/22/67 - 8/23/19
timfromma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2016, 02:44 PM   #36

That was my biggest headache, outside of the constant construction zone from Illinois to Georgia We had several times that the lots were tight and it took almost as long to move around the area to get to a pump as it took to pump the gas. We also had our first experience of needing to drive uphill to the pumps and scraped the frame on the way up. OUCH. I need to create an app that rates gas stations by being RV friendly. Maybe you know of one, if so let me know and I'll support the creator of the app.

Todd
toddlafond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2016, 03:19 PM   #37

Since op asked about diesel truck and truck stops...

I use truck stop diesel lane exclusively.. Truckers don't care as a matter of fact they will jump behind me knowing it won't take long for me to fuel. I timed the diesel fill speed at almost 20 gallons a minute. Know about how much you need at slow pump down when close to full. Can get DEF also. If a Good Sam member 3 cents off per gallon.

Once your full, pull up to white line so next truck can get to pump. Go use bathroom, make lunch etc. you have about 10 min there. If you need longer go park in truck lot.

I love the truck lanes...

2016 Siverback 33IK, Towed 50K+ mile
2018 Ford F-350 Lariat 6.7L V8 Diesel 4WD Crew Cab

"If you don't know where you are going, any road will get you there."
dalford is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2016, 03:29 PM   #38

Quote:
Just got back from a 1700 mile trip to the Smokies. This was our first out of state trip with the new longer TT. I have found that getting gas is the one biggest issue since my truck is a gasser. We downloaded a truck stop app and used it at first but we found the truck stops are no easier if you don't have a diesel and some were actually worse. I did not find one gas station the whole trip that had a RV fill area. Some stations here in MI do and they are the only easy way I have found to fill up with a 50 ft rig. If you have a diesel do you use the truck stops??? I am considering buying a new diesel truck as I see no easy way around these stupid gas station layouts and fighting all the cars for a pump. Not sure fighting all the semi's at truck stops would be easier thou???? I don't see why the truck stops can't have one gas pump for us RV's in the trucker area. So what's the consensus out there ???? Is getting diesel fuel really any easier than gas ??????
I've had some of the same issues with my gas TV. The truck itself is 22.5 feet from bumper to bumper. Add the TT from hitch to bumper and I'm looking at another 32 feet or so. So roughly 55 feet of anything is sometimes difficult to get into a gas station. I like to look for places like Pilot or Blue Beacon because its likely they will have other fuel stations near them that I can fit into. I've been into some tight spaces and had to back out but so far I've been lucky. I can go about 250 miles on a tank but my tank is 38 gallons and I only get about 8 - 9 on flat ground, 6-7 with hills. Planning is the key. These forums are also a good place to ask about stations on particular routes.
2000 F250 CC SD V10 4X4 8' bed, 4:30 gears, SCT X3
2007 Mustang Convertible V6 - Lots of GT mods
1965 Mustang Coupe I6, 3 spd. manual
1996 Cadillac Fleetwood Funeral Car (Ghostbusters ECTO)
kc5mhb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2016, 03:52 PM   #39

It's what you like, I can make better time by not stopping at gas stations and truck stops are to high in price. I can go for two days or more without filling up. I buy at Walmart or somewhere cheap after I unhook from camper. I use gas buddy and with my card I save 5% off the price but it's mostly for time saved when I'm on the road. This just works for me, most people don't have a extra fuel tank and they get along just fine.

Old 06-27-2016, 04:22 PM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by spock123 View Post
It's what you like, I can make better time by not stopping at gas stations and truck stops are to high in price. I can go for two days or more without filling up. I buy at Walmart or somewhere cheap after I unhook from camper. I use gas buddy and with my card I save 5% off the price but it's mostly for time saved when I'm on the road. This just works for me, most people don't have a extra fuel tank and they get along just fine.

I can hear my wallet scream as I pull into the station. I can pull a house off the foundation, but passing a gas station is next to impossible.

It is fun to drive though!
2000 F250 CC SD V10 4X4 8' bed, 4:30 gears, SCT X3
2007 Mustang Convertible V6 - Lots of GT mods
1965 Mustang Coupe I6, 3 spd. manual
1996 Cadillac Fleetwood Funeral Car (Ghostbusters ECTO)
kc5mhb is offline   Reply With Quote