Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-24-2016, 02:18 PM   #1
Just A Member

Filler Up

Just got back from a 1700 mile trip to the Smokies. This was our first out of state trip with the new longer TT. I have found that getting gas is the one biggest issue since my truck is a gasser. We downloaded a truck stop app and used it at first but we found the truck stops are no easier if you don't have a diesel and some were actually worse. I did not find one gas station the whole trip that had a RV fill area. Some stations here in MI do and they are the only easy way I have found to fill up with a 50 ft rig. If you have a diesel do you use the truck stops??? I am considering buying a new diesel truck as I see no easy way around these stupid gas station layouts and fighting all the cars for a pump. Not sure fighting all the semi's at truck stops would be easier thou???? I don't see why the truck stops can't have one gas pump for us RV's in the trucker area. So what's the consensus out there ???? Is getting diesel fuel really any easier than gas ??????
2013 Silverado 1500 4x4 6.2L Max Tow
EDABEUT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2016, 02:23 PM   #2
Insert witty title here

Quote:
Originally Posted by EDABEUT View Post
Just got back from a 1700 mile trip to the Smokies. This was our first out of state trip with the new longer TT. I have found that getting gas is the one biggest issue since my truck is a gasser. We downloaded a truck stop app and used it at first but we found the truck stops are no easier if you don't have a diesel and some were actually worse. I did not find one gas station the whole trip that had a RV fill area. Some stations here in MI do and they are the only easy way I have found to fill up with a 50 ft rig. If you have a diesel do you use the truck stops??? I am considering buying a new diesel truck as I see no easy way around these stupid gas station layouts and fighting all the cars for a pump. Not sure fighting all the semi's at truck stops would be easier thou???? I don't see why the truck stops can't have one gas pump for us RV's in the trucker area. So what's the consensus out there ???? Is getting diesel fuel really any easier than gas ??????
I have a gas TV and my TT is 35' long. I have the same issues that you do. The key is finding a gas station with pumps that run parallel to the building. Corner stations are ideal. I carry 10 extra gallons of gas with me as an emergency backup in case I can't find a suitable gas station in time.

2021 Transcend Xplor 247BH
Husky WDH with Sway Control
2021 Chevy Silverado 2500HD LT 6.6L V8 Duramax
Forever in my memory. Forever in my heart.
Laurie J. Wood 3/22/67 - 8/23/19
timfromma is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2016, 02:50 PM   #3

Same here, parallel. I do have a diesel but I don't use the truck stop pumps. The ones for the truckers that I have found seem to only use a certain type of credit card that I don't have. And I just don't feel like going in and paying so I'll just used the regular people pumps. So far I've had zero problems. Just scout em out before I pull in.
2016 Ford F350 XLT 6.7 Powerstroke DRW 4X4
2016 Brookstone 395RL
dwayneb236 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2016, 03:10 PM   #4

Never had a problem, doubts yeah plenty of them. We have managed some tight stations. Just watch your 6 pulling away. If you feel desperate unhitch and fill up. Thats a lot faster and more convenient than running out of fuel.

2016 Ford F250 XLT 4X4 6.2L
2015 Rockwood Signature Ultralite 8329SS
Hensley Arrow
uhduh camping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2016, 03:13 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by timfromma View Post
I have a gas TV and my TT is 35' long. I have the same issues that you do. The key is finding a gas station with pumps that run parallel to the building. Corner stations are ideal. I carry 10 extra gallons of gas with me as an emergency backup in case I can't find a suitable gas station in time.
Have you actually tried to use your emergency stash of fuel to fill tank? Many gas cans don't work to well on vehicles. Funnels and cans get messy quickly.

2016 Ford F250 XLT 4X4 6.2L
2015 Rockwood Signature Ultralite 8329SS
Hensley Arrow
uhduh camping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2016, 03:21 PM   #6

I installed a 50 gallon transfer tank/toolbox in the truck and only use truck stops as the fuel is cheaper [RV gas card] and they have propane, DEF and dumps. Have yet to have any problem getting in or out of any truck stops AND they have restaurants.
I'm diesel, but would still only use truck stops if I were a gasser. The 34' TT pushing me does not play well with regular gas stations and sometimes you just don't know there is a problem until you are in it.
My max range per fill-up is about 1,100 miles but rarely go over 800 miles without filling up. With the DW on board, we hit every other rest stop.
Aviator Wright Flyer #1919
Army Pathfinder Vietnam, 3 tours
DAV, MOPH, VFW, NRA, 1stCav. ABN
Blackhat6mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2016, 04:00 PM   #7

We only get about 200 miles per tank so lots of pre planning. Yes on the 10 extra gallons. Still look for truck stops to fill up as they have more choices for grub for family and I don't have to cram into a fast food place. I use google maps to get a layout of facility (how many driveways, can I drive around the back, does it have a traffic light to come out to).

2014 Evo 2850 "Woodstock"
2011 Toyota Tundra "Clifford"

Just glad to get away
HONDAMAN174 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2016, 04:06 PM   #8
Insert witty title here

Quote:
Originally Posted by uhduh camping View Post
Have you actually tried to use your emergency stash of fuel to fill tank? Many gas cans don't work to well on vehicles. Funnels and cans get messy quickly.

I've used mine before but only to use up old gas so I can fill with fresh stuff. Works fine.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Old 06-24-2016, 04:10 PM   #9
Insert witty title here

Quote:
Originally Posted by HONDAMAN174 View Post
We only get about 200 miles per tank so lots of pre planning. Yes on the 10 extra gallons. Still look for truck stops to fill up as they have more choices for grub for family and I don't have to cram into a fast food place. I use google maps to get a layout of facility (how many driveways, can I drive around the back, does it have a traffic light to come out to).

2014 Evo 2850 "Woodstock"
2011 Toyota Tundra "Clifford"

We just make lunch in the camper.

Old 06-24-2016, 04:13 PM   #10
Site Team

I use the truck stops all the time. One thing I do is pull up in the lot and if there are a lot of trucks waiting I just pull to one side out of the way until there are a couple of empty pumps and then go fuel up. Most of the time it's not an issue as they're usually not busy at the times we go thru.

Some truck stops also have RV lanes and those usually have gasoline and diesel.
Old 06-24-2016, 04:20 PM   #11
Insert witty title here

Filler Up

Having a gas TV means having to pull in where the cars go and some of those pumps just aren't configured for a 50' TV and camper combo.

Old 06-24-2016, 04:38 PM   #12

This is a skill we have to learn (as we do backing into a camp site). If a gas station is crowded I go to the next. I always take space for both pumps & sometime have to wait but it really has not been a big problem. Gas Buddy finds me good prices in the area & I just drive until I find a gas station which I can get into.
Old 06-24-2016, 05:34 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackhat6mike View Post
I installed a 50 gallon transfer tank/toolbox in the truck and only use truck stops as the fuel is cheaper [RV gas card] and they have propane, DEF and dumps. Have yet to have any problem getting in or out of any truck stops AND they have restaurants.

I'm diesel, but would still only use truck stops if I were a gasser. The 34' TT pushing me does not play well with regular gas stations and sometimes you just don't know there is a problem until you are in it.

My max range per fill-up is about 1,100 miles but rarely go over 800 miles without filling up. With the DW on board, we hit every other rest stop.

I have found truck stops cost a lot more than a Walmart. Plus my credit card beats any RV charge card. I have diesel

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
spock123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2016, 05:46 PM   #14

Something has changed with truck stops. Their diesel is now $0.30 or more higher than at regular station. I avoid them for that reason. I am 50' long and 13'7" high and I don't have trouble finding local stations to get in and out of.

2021 Jayco Class C model 27U
5er_tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2016, 05:50 PM   #15

I just got a new diesel truck, but had a gas burner before. In either situation I use an in the bed aux tank and fill up at rest stops during lunch or whenever necessary. The tank is 36 gallons which will just about fill the truck from empty, but I usually top off the truck at 1/4 or 1/2 tank and go on my way. I never travel more than my regular tank and aux tank combined can take me in one day. Then when I reach my destination I unhook and go full both tanks before leaving. Yes the aux tank was expensive when I bought it for my gas truck because it is hard to get something certified for that much gasoline. That said it has paid for itself. Don't worry about funny gas stations and fill up at rest stops, which are much easier in and out.
Kf4mnc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2016, 06:18 PM   #16

X2 on that

spock123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2016, 06:29 PM   #17
Just A Member

Sounds like you guys get a lot luckier than I do. I also have a max 200 mile range and have to get gas often. When traveling I never will get off the interstate except to get gas. I try to find a exit that don't look busy but never really know until committed. I once got off and after turning found the station packed full and had to drive 10 miles before I could find a place to turn around. It also seems like all the truck stops and gas stations are jammed full no matter were we go. Some times I have to wait in the turn lane for someone to leave before I can even pull in. I have not seen any parallel to building stations along the interstate in a long time. Seems they have all gone to the new design with convenience stores, fast food etc. People park at the pump go in and do their shopping. I see people sitting in their cars on the phone and the pump turned off 5 minutes ago.

I have found that if I pull in to the last pump on end and leave the TT out in the way. I can back out past entrance and pull back into road. Very rarely can drive around between pumps and building. We try to find places that have enough room we can park use restroom in TT and take a quick break. We do not like parking between 2 semi's running and try to take a break and it seems like the rest stops are just as bad anymore. On the way home last Sunday we actually pulled off at 2 different rest areas on I 75 and they were full of semi's and had no where to stop. The biggest issue is probably that we have to travel on weekends during the worst times. I have been doing this for 35 years and have never stressed out about getting gas until lately. Considering buying a I Pad so we can Google the exits before getting off. Can' t really see much on our phone screens. I am trying to figure out the easiest and quickest way to stop fill up and get back on the road. Maybe it's not possible anymore. Retirement will be nice.
Old 06-24-2016, 06:33 PM   #18
Just A Member

I have considered an aux tank also. Does anyone know if they make a gas one that can be legally installed inside a topper???
Old 06-24-2016, 06:43 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by EDABEUT View Post
I have considered an aux tank also. Does anyone know if they make a gas one that can be legally installed inside a topper???
Do you sleep inside the topper or do you allow someone to sleep there?

If not then with the topper on who would know?

A more spendy option but a safer one IMO.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...25596728,d.amc
Old 06-24-2016, 06:54 PM   #20
Just A Member

No one sleeps in it. I have it packed up pretty good when traveling. I would expect to have the aux tank vented to outside. The biggest issue I see is cutting a hole in topper to be able to fill the aux tank. Then how to fill the normal tank from aux tank. Will probably have a fill nozzle and gravity feed???

Wish they had a larger tank option for these Chevy trucks. Kind of dumb to put a 6.2 L in getting 10 MPG and only have a 21 gal useable tank.