Closed Thread

Old 06-11-2019, 07:15 PM   #1

Final answer on 2 GFI's in series

I have purchased a Keystone Sprinter 323 BHS and Have it next to my Wildwood 5er. I thought to myself "What better time to settle the GFI in series problem than right now." I knew the results of this test a long time ago but decided to test it in real life for myself and all you naysayers.

No interferance from the WH. They were both on GAS.

I started with the 5er. I used a 15/30 dog bone. Plugged in to the camp 20 amp GFI outlet. Turned on the GFI 20 amp breaker and "POP" goes the GFI PED outlet. Walked into the 5er and turned off the GFI circuit breaker. Walked back to the PED and reset the GFI outlet. All is good. No bleeding WH element causing problems because it it on GAS.

Now, on to the Sprinter. Same set up. 15/30 dog bone, plugged in the 30 amp trailer, turned on the 20 amp ped breaker and "POP" out goes the ped GFI. Go inside trailer and turn off the GFI breaker, return to the PED, reset the GFI outlet and all is well.

I just don'T know how else to say it. 2 GFI'S IN SERIES DON'T PLAY NICE!

50 year Electrician, Master Electrician, Electric Building Inspector. This is my final discussion on this subject.

See you over on the Thor Forums.

I know you believe that you understand what you think I said but I'm sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant
Old 06-11-2019, 07:58 PM   #2

And my experiences are just the opposite. Plug into the garage into a GFCI outlet - in 2 different garages (we moved 3 years ago). Everything in 2 different campers (both FR A-frames) has worked fine, including all outlets. Tested by setting up inside or just outside the garage and using and checking all outlets (there aren't many on an A-frame). Possibly true at campgrounds (don't think I've ever plugged into a GFCI outlet at a campground), but not at my houses!

Don't doubt your experience at all - it just goes to show not all GFCIs are created equal.

Fred W
then 2014 Rockwood A122 A-frame
now 2019 Flagstaff T21TBHW A-frame
2008 Hyundai Entourage minivan
camping Colorado and adjacent states one weekend at a time

Old 06-11-2019, 08:23 PM   #3
Site Team

Not all GFCI use the same circuitry. Some of the lower cost GFCIs appear to the the upstream GFCI as leakage to ground and trip it.

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Old 06-11-2019, 11:31 PM   #4

Haven't had the issue or tried it on the MH yet, but was never an issue on 3 TT or a toy hauler. In my garage, I have one that powers my sprinkler time controls and continues on to power my fish pond pump and submersible water heater for the pond. Have been using it that way for 15 years - no problems.
Old 06-12-2019, 03:43 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flybob View Post
Not all GFCI use the same circuitry. Some of the lower cost GFCIs appear to the upstream GFCI as leakage to ground and trip it.
Yes I intended to add the the Better Hi quality outlets will work in series but forgot. Knowing which ones are hi quality is difficult. I only purchased Levition devices thru out my carer but I don't think the RV industry does so.

I know you believe that you understand what you think I said but I'm sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant
Old 06-12-2019, 03:52 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flybob View Post
Not all GFCI use the same circuitry. Some of the lower cost GFCIs appear to the the upstream GFCI as leakage to ground and trip it.
Yes I intended to add the the Better Hi quality outlets will work in series but forgot. Knowing which ones are hi quality is difficult. I only purchased Levition devices thru out my carer but I don't think the RV industry does so.

Old 06-12-2019, 05:59 AM   #7

Send a message via AIM to B and B
Congrats on moving to Thor. I have found my Thor produced Heartland products better quality and finishes than both FR products.

What did you get?

Cheers
Old 06-12-2019, 06:27 AM   #8
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by B and B View Post
Congrats on moving to Thor. I have found my Thor produced Heartland products better quality and finishes than both FR products.

What did you get?

Cheers
Your question is answered in the first line of the thread.

Nights Camped: '13 = 49/'14 = 74/'15 = 74/'16 = 85/'17 = 110/'18 =111/'19 = 40; booked = 14
Old 06-12-2019, 12:36 PM   #9

You mentioned that you shut off one of the breakers with a GFI. What was the load on that circuit? Do yo have GFI’s on other breakers? I’ve had less than six times in 14 years where I was at a friends house and had to plug into a 20 amp GFI, never had any problem. I installed a 50 amp box to plug into at home.
Center Point suspension
2018 Ram Laramie 3500 6'4" box 2WD
Demco AutoSlide 18k
Old 06-12-2019, 12:46 PM   #10

ALL MY GFCIs IN A SERIES DO PLAY NICE.

A notable example is my underwater dock lights are designed to operate with two GFCIs in a series. They have a GFCI built into the plug, and the instructions are very clear that they must be plugged into a GFCI-protected circuit. So the electrical engineers over at Underwater Fish Lights concluded that GFCIs IN A SERIES ARE A GOOD THING.

I have also used a portable GFCI designed to protect an extension cord on a GFCI-protected circuit that I installed on my RV pedestal at home. I have operated outdoor string lights this way for a few months and experienced no problems with that set up.

That's my experience, and that's all I know. Hope it is useful to readers.

Closed Thread