Old 06-30-2014, 08:30 PM   #1
Site Team

Finally a night at Doheny Beach

3rd time a charm!

My first planned trip was cancelled when the campground flooded big time and ReserveAmerica were issuing refunds automatically. Flash forward a few years to summer 2014. When the date arrived for the second attempt I woke up feeling under the weather and ended up cancelling. When another opportunity came up for a ocean view site for one night I jumped upon it.

I finally made it to Doheny Beach. Check-in was very different from other CA state parks I have camped at. The ranger said to drop the trailer off and then drive back to check in. I didn't get any where after explaining that I wasn't unhitching which is why I opted for a long driveway. The guy I could walk from my site to the booth. If you ever visit Doheny Beach campground that's a good & far walk especially for someone with feet & ankles problems. I asked if he could send someone over later to check me in. The answer was no, they were pretty busy. I did mention I had disable plates and there is something about ADA. Nothing I could do since he refused to check me in at the check- in point.

I really like my site. It was real easy to back into due to the location and driving lane. I backed into as far as I could but had to avoid the picnic table that someone else had moved into the path. I got set up quickly - great thing about dry camping is fewer steps. I opened the awning which is something I haven't done for almost a year. No problems until I got to the part I didn't recall but my memory kicked in.

This morning I had a warning notice on my windshield asking me to move the truck behind the line. Granted the bumper was pass the line but someone had to write the notice at 5:30 am - where was this helper yesterday? My check-in tags showed I was leaving this morning. Yes- I finally got checked in. After setting up camp I started walking the long walk to the ranger booth. I came across a camp host and asked if someone could help me with this matter. Long story short - she took me there in a golf cart after picking me up at my trailer a little later. Nothing was said about the bumper being past the line nor by the other rangers though out yesterday. I would had ask to have the table moved but after asking 3 times at another state park without any results I didn't brother.

I actually got brave and said something to a kid using my site as a shortcut repeatedly. I explained it was a campsite and not a pathway. His sister & parents finally stopped walking through and started using the pathway on the other side of the wall next to my site. In the beginning I could see where people could mistakenly think the empty site was the pathway but not after I set up camp and pulled out the awning. After all they had to ducked under the awning arms to avoid a tree and then step over the parking curb next to my truck.

It was much cooler at the beach than at home - about 25 degrees cooler. I like being able to walk a very short distance to the beach. Too much sand is a killer on my feet & ankles.

I do intend on returning and of course staying behind the line.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Campsite.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	291.3 KB
ID:	56832

Click image for larger version

Name:	Line.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	392.2 KB
ID:	56833

2011 Salem Cruise Lite 20RBXL & 2011 Toyota Tundra Dbl Cab
Camping History: 45 Trips / 133 Nights / 3736 Miles
FRF Social Group: Campers of the West
Terier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 08:39 PM   #2

Rules are Rules,I filled up my water tank at a S/P and went inside to check the gauge,Ranger (BOB) was at our door telling me ,(NO HOSE HOOKUPs) allowed! Give them a Badge! Youroo!!

Old 06-30-2014, 08:48 PM   #3
Site Team

I agree about rules being rules - only wished all of them were enforced. The site next to me had 13 teenagers, mostly girls, staying in a single tent. No drinking or any real trouble going on. The only problem was that the later it got (past midnight) the louder they became. There is a limit of 8 per site.

2011 Salem Cruise Lite 20RBXL & 2011 Toyota Tundra Dbl Cab
Camping History: 45 Trips / 133 Nights / 3736 Miles
FRF Social Group: Campers of the West
Terier is offline   Reply With Quote