Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-02-2018, 09:38 PM   #21

We store our TT in a pole barn we built years ago just for our TT & TV. I thought 12 ft high was enough, but, if I had to do it over I would make it 14 ft. We have a good size door to back it in and a concrete floor, but, when we built, trailers and motor homes didn't have slide outs so we only left about 36 inches of room on the wall side (the other side houses the TV). Since we plan on only having TT's the 12 ft. hight works (although just barely) for the Windjammer, but, we can't open the slide outs to work on it when it is in the barn (there is room for changing tires, brakes, bearings, and general work). I would recommend about a 5 ft spacing from the side of the trailer to the wall if I were doing it again so I could move the slide outs out without fear of hitting the wall. We also just replaced all the fluorescent lights with LED's this past year. That was definitely worth it (brighter and half the electric cost). Also, we did double locking mechanisms on all the doors since someone tried to pry the sliding door open when we first built the building. Because of the double locks (actually there are 5 on the slider), they couldn't get it open. That was in 1986. Nobody has tried since and now we have cameras as well. Better an ounce of prevention than a lot of headaches later.
ProfChuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2018, 10:35 PM   #22

A number of years ago I restored an Airstream trailer, inside and out were refurbished with the outside aluminum polished and gleaming. I built a new workshop to keep it inside, never intending to get a different trailer. Doors on workshop were 12x12 with 13 ft ceiling height. Went to buy some LED light bulbs for better energy management, and my wife wandered through the lot and decided that a 40 ft Cardinal 3450RL would be nicer to have, even though it cost a little bit more than the LED lights I originally went there to buy. 40 ft long 13 1/2 ft high, and it obviously doesn't fit in the workshop. I balked at the purchase, but after two plus years of using it, I have to admit, it sure is comfortable.
card16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2018, 08:44 AM   #23

Down the road from us they look to be going to build something,,, they have removed several square yards of topsoil,,, and laid several hundred used railroad ties ???
From the road out a couple hundred yards out into the field ???
There looks to be 20 or 30 guys working there ???
I can't wait to see what they are doing !!!
Wolverine 1945 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2018, 11:04 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolverine 1945 View Post
Down the road from us they look to be going to build something,,, they have removed several square yards of topsoil,,, and laid several hundred used railroad ties ???
From the road out a couple hundred yards out into the field ???
There looks to be 20 or 30 guys working there ???
I can't wait to see what they are doing !!!
What are they building with all those ties?
Old 04-23-2018, 08:07 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeeptchr View Post
What are they building with all those ties?
They have laid the ties out,,, and are driving heavy equipment on them ???
Last time I went by they were digging a large hole,,, out @ the end of the ties ?

Old 04-23-2018, 08:57 AM   #26

ground supports, have soft soil up there? they made roads up here out of ties to move cranes around for the wind farm when they were erecting the towers.
Old 04-24-2018, 08:49 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeeptchr View Post
ground supports, have soft soil up there? they made roads up here out of ties to move cranes around for the wind farm when they were erecting the towers.
That was one of my thought !!!
Much of my family lives in Gratiot County in central Michigan,,,
It is definitely the Windmill capital of Michigan !!!

Tags
parking