Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-22-2017, 09:26 AM   #1

Finally got the new camper

Finally went and picked up the new camper the other day. now we have to try and start getting stuff for the inside. I was thinking of getting some of the plastic picnic stuff from Walmart, just to save on weight and breakable items. does anyone have any good tips on any items that have worked well? this is our first camper and don't have too much stuff, we will be searching garage sales also for some stuff. After spending one night in it the other day I do now that we will have to do something with our mattress, either a topper or buying a standard mattress for it. thanks in advance for the help
Attached Images

NightOwl42500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2017, 09:33 AM   #2
Kanadian Kamper

A lot of people don't like the OEM mattress comfort of a lot of camper beds.

Be careful buying a mattress from a real bed store. Most RV mattresses have unique dimensions "called RV Queen or RV King"

A topper may be your best inexpensive improvement cut to size.

Ken and Terry
2018 Sunseeker 2430S-CD, nicely modified and carried by a 2017 Ford E450 Sport
Former Georgetown 330TS owner for 10 years with more mods than I can count, pushed by our 2017 GMC Terrain
kenandterry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2017, 09:49 AM   #3

Oxygenics shower head. See reviews on this forum.

The world is a great book, of which those who never stir from home
read only a page. - St. Augustine
mjones12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2017, 11:15 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by NightOwl42500 View Post
Finally went and picked up the new camper the other day. now we have to try and start getting stuff for the inside. I was thinking of getting some of the plastic picnic stuff from Walmart, just to save on weight and breakable items. does anyone have any good tips on any items that have worked well? this is our first camper and don't have too much stuff, we will be searching garage sales also for some stuff. After spending one night in it the other day I do now that we will have to do something with our mattress, either a topper or buying a standard mattress for it. thanks in advance for the help
Congrats , we are newbies too and took ours local a couple weeks ago for a couple nights. It was a good lesson for me , lol, I brought enough food to feed the whole camp ground instead of just me and hubbie. We're camping again next week ( same place) and I'm keeping it real simple this time. I bought some stuff at the dollar stores and local outlets ,also ross.
Try not to get overwhelmed (yeah right, didn't work for me when my sister gave me that advice) I thought I was set but there were still things I forgot so I made a list at the camp ground.
Love yard sales and thrift shops so check those too and have fun!!!! You'll be set before you know it, I'm almost there already.
Old 05-22-2017, 11:18 AM   #5

Forgot, we slept horrible the first night on our bed so I had my friend bring a topper she got at big lots,(3 inch memory foam ) omg we had the best sleep that night! We didn't even want to get up.
Old 05-22-2017, 12:23 PM   #6

I use the Melamine dishes in our motorhome since we got it. They are so cute these days and perfect to take outside too and no breakage issues. I keep a small notebook to list what I need to add or subtract and a "dream list" of things that will take time to fix or upgrade. We have been fortunate that the mattress we have is actually pretty good. Congrats on your new camper. PS. I always take too much food, You never know!
Celkalee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2017, 12:33 PM   #7

we purchased a set of regular pot and pans to keep in the camper. Had a set of camping pots prior, but they typically burned food and were hard to clean. We also have the melamine plates in our trailer, we also have plastic restaurant style glasses for drinks. Best of luck with it, we pick up our new Fiver this week, and have to repack it.
Old 05-22-2017, 12:38 PM   #8

Congratulations on your new camper. Keep things very simple on your first trip and keep a list if items you need as you realize you need them. If you do a search on this forum, there are lists that others have prepared. Some items are necessary, others optional. Meanwhile, enjoy the camper and have fun!
Harris85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2017, 12:40 PM   #9

Congrats on the new vacation home!! Always a good way to start the camping season.

Camped
2016 - 21 nights
2017 - 42 + scheduled....
Life is great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2017, 12:46 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celkalee View Post
I use the Melamine dishes in our motorhome since we got it. They are so cute these days and perfect to take outside too and no breakage issues. I keep a small notebook to list what I need to add or subtract and a "dream list" of things that will take time to fix or upgrade. We have been fortunate that the mattress we have is actually pretty good. Congrats on your new camper. PS. I always take too much food, You never know!
I found some really good quality tropical melamine dishes in our bealls outlet that almost look real and they were really cheap , I even got coordinating drinking goblets and a pitcher , if you don't have a bealls, ck Marshalls, Ross, and TJ Maxx .
I know it might be silly but I look at it as glamping, not camping, I guess it's the women in me!
Old 05-22-2017, 12:49 PM   #11

Funny. My DW's boss(pharmacist) just got a new TT. She told my wife they bought all new stuff for the trailer. New towels, dishes, various RV stuff... hey she has the money.
born in Texas.... live in Arkansas
Iwannacamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2017, 02:12 PM   #12

Congrats! A 4" memory foam topper made all the difference for us. Enjoy!,
D-Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2017, 02:18 PM   #13

Don't use melamine in microwave!!

There are some real cute dishes out there with a camping theme. BUT DON'T USE IN YOUR MICROWAVE. They bubble and crack and you can get sick from the off gassing.
CYAH OUT THERE! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2017, 02:25 PM   #14

Congrats on your new camper, we use paper plates and red solo cups. easy clean up. use rv toilet paper, get an extra water hose and blue water filter from WMT. an 30 or 50 amp extension cord, which ever you use. Enjoy and have fun with your new rig.
Amateur Radio W5CI 2019 Days Camping 25
2020 Days Camping 7
W5CI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2017, 02:42 PM   #15
Just as confused as you

For those who don't know, Melamine powder used to make the plates is the same powder the Chinese was putting in pet food as a filler and killed dogs and cats.
Camping since 1989, Seasonal since 2000.
Car Shredder Op/Tech, Scrap Metal Recycling - retired
Scrapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2017, 02:52 PM   #16

We got mostly all new stuff 3 years ago when we got the Shamrock. We bought Corelle dishes, new pots and pans, flatware, cooking utensils, etc.
It didn't cost that much, and a lot of what was in the popup needed replaced anyway.
2013 Ram 1500
jking46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2017, 03:24 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrapper View Post
For those who don't know, Melamine powder used to make the plates is the same powder the Chinese was putting in pet food as a filler and killed dogs and cats.
That's probably y they tell you not to put it in the microwave ,
Old 05-22-2017, 03:49 PM   #18
Site Team

Melamine dishes look nice and are light weight. I like Corelle dishes because they are a tad heavier for outside use.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iwannacamp View Post
Funny. My DW's boss(pharmacist) just got a new TT. She told my wife they bought all new stuff for the trailer. New towels, dishes, various RV stuff... hey she has the money.
A co-worker had two travel trailers and each one had their own color & decor theme from towels to dishes to pots & pans. She since then had sold their trailers and now has a new MH which has it own color theme as well.

PS
Nothing is wrong with keeping it simple until you determine your camping style.

Formerly owned 2011 Salem Cruise Lite 20RBXL & 2011 Toyota Tundra Dbl Cab
Terier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2017, 04:06 PM   #19

Garage sales are a pure luck thing. Although sometimes fate shines on you there. I've had some pretty good luck on Craigslist with a search like RV accessories or RV supplies. Can sometimes save big $$$ on some of the pricey items.

Congrats on your new trailer.

Tuckerdog1

2016 RAM 2500 Cummins SLT Lone Star 4X4 LB
2016 Windjammer 3029W Platinum
I'm not an expert. But I play one on the internet.
You live & learn or you don't live long.
If you don't punish your children, life will.
tuckerdog1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2017, 06:06 PM   #20

Finally got the new camper

Dollar store / big lots / etc. We found some cool trays - think school lunch with the different sections at CW that were inexpensive. Have different colors, lite and easy to clean.

Enjoy and as said above keep it simple until you figure out what you really need. Easier to add things here and there than spend money you don't have too.

Tags
camper