Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-17-2019, 05:49 AM   #1

Finally took the cover off.

Finally got the cover off the Cherokee last night. Weathered the winter pretty well. Cover took a little beating as some ice had built up in a lower section and the weight must've torn the fabric open. Inside...all is well. No leaks, no mice, no musty smell (dryer sheets). Everything operational...(didn't check electric on WH as no water in it yet.) 3 out of 4 tires had 65 psi still in them. I air them 5 psi over for winter and they lose about 5 during the winter, so in the spring they're right where they should be...except of the one. 10 psi of air left. First time I've every had a tire go down during the winter. Could it be a "Castle Rock Tire" thing that you hear so much about ? Anyway...now comes the big decision...do we keep her another year or put her up for sale ?? We have the cabin we bought last fall and as it looks now...we'll be spending a lot of our summer down there with the kids and grand kids. We'll figure it out I'm sure.
TheWolfPaq82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2019, 09:26 AM   #2
Trailer Park Supervisor

Losing air can have to do with age of rubber and what it is filled with. My pure Nitrogen OEM fill did not lose anything at all over winter. The more times you dilute it with plain air (yes I know is MOSTLY nitrogen), the more likely some will migrate through the rubber, thus pressure decrease.
NJKris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2019, 09:37 AM   #3

Two years old and filled with Nitrogen, now....78% Nitrogen. I'll check it again tonight and look for leak if needed.
Old 04-19-2019, 12:06 AM   #4
Retired Old Fart

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWolfPaq82 View Post
Two years old and filled with Nitrogen, now....78% Nitrogen. I'll check it again tonight and look for leak if needed.
Probably a little dihydrogenmonoxide vapor mixed in with the nitrogen now. That's the problem
dward51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2019, 03:57 PM   #5

If you want your tires to remain inflated over the winter months, then you have to fill them with genuine Louisiana Swamp Air with 50% humidity. I filled our 5th wheel tires to 80 PSI, the tow vehicle was filled to 60 PSI front and 70 PSI rear and my wife's Yukon was filled to 32 PSI all around. Not one PSI drop in pressure during all of that time.
Walholler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2019, 04:12 PM   #6

Where do you buy Louisiana Swamp Air @50% humidity? Oh, you must be from Shreveport, where the humidity is low in the summer and only 105 degrees everyday.
Old 04-19-2019, 04:34 PM   #7

Shreveport does NOT have low humidity. And seldom has low temps. Humidity and temps usually are the same so that we all can easily breathe thru our gills.
hshaynes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2019, 05:05 PM   #8

I spent my summers working there when I was in college. When the pavement jumped up on Mansfield Road and that lady launched her car off the ramp caused by the concrete slabs expanding from the heat, I knew it was hot. People were cooking chickens in the car. Put in a Brown N Bag and set them in the rear window. Done when you get off work. I thought it had less humidity than Florida because it hardly ever rained. People watered their foundations to keep them from cracking. Spent my weekends on Cross Lake, fishing. Think I did see some Gill People. They talked with an accent.
Old 04-19-2019, 06:36 PM   #9

Not Shreveport, humidity too low there, try 3 miles south of Sulphur, 20 miles east of Texas and 10 miles west of Lake Charles. Why buy Louisiana Swamp Air when you can pump your own for free.
Old 04-19-2019, 06:43 PM   #10

Wallholler, who did you mech for
hshaynes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2019, 08:56 PM   #11

I am a licensed Airframe & Engine mechanic, spent 21 yrs. working aircraft for the military. Upon retirement from military, I worked for Boeing Louisiana, Northrop/Grumman, EADS and Aeroframe Services all in Lake Charles. Now retired for good.
Old 04-20-2019, 07:16 AM   #12
Trailer Park Supervisor

You can finally put away your speed handle and EZ out tools!
NJKris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2019, 07:19 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stank Bait View Post
Where do you buy Louisiana Swamp Air @50% humidity? Oh, you must be from Shreveport, where the humidity is low in the summer and only 105 degrees everyday.
Was gonna ask the same thing. How'd you get that low of humidity ?? in Nebraska, we can push 90% during the summer.

Tags
cover