Old 07-25-2014, 03:46 PM   #1

Financing - Bank of the West

Just wanted to share some customer service issues we are having with bank of the west and find out if any else is in the same situation.

When we purchase the camper in 2012, they definitely had the best rates and we got an additional discount off the price for using them. We originally did the 10-year deal, but ended up paying it off at around the 2-year mark because we have a move coming up and didn't want to have the payment while trying to buy land and build a new house. So it is now several weeks later, and we still have not got our title back and have experienced nothing but rudeness and a complete lack of customer service. No one knows where the title is, no one will call me back or give me a straight answer, and every time we call it's someone different on the phone who has no record of us ever even calling in to see what the problem is. To make matters worse, our loan/account no longer even shows up on their site as it was paid in full and was deleted. I called the DMV, and they cannot issue me a new title, as it shows having a lien against it with Bank of the West so the bank would have to request a new title. I am struggling with what to do at this point. I even paid the expedited fees to have the title sent to us, but turns out that did us no good. The only good thing is that I have learned to never deal with a bank that is not local or that you know nothing about.

For anyone on the fence about financing with Bank of the West, I would be very cautious from a customer service stand point.

Old 07-25-2014, 03:58 PM   #2

You could try "RV Resolutions" in Trailer Life magazine. They seem to have a knack at acquiring a resolution to all sorts of conflicts. Have you tried talking to someone up higher in the food chain like a VP? Beyond that, it's probably lawyer time which is a big pain. Good luck. I feel for you.

Heartland Big Country 3150RL
2013 Ford SD F250 4x4 SC; 6.2
Reese 18K Elite w/slider - Ada, Michigan
Lloydg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 04:08 PM   #3

If the loan is paid, as evidenced by removal from their computer, have them issue a certified letter reciting their Release of Lien interest on the vehicle. This should satisfy the DMV in your state. I also use their services and have generally been satisfied.

You could also file a complaint with the Texas Banking Commission. You will certainly get the attention of Bank of The West when the bank receives a letter and a request for response from the Texas government offices.
Old 07-25-2014, 04:41 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by l001952119 View Post
If the loan is paid, as evidenced by removal from their computer, have them issue a certified letter reciting their Release of Lien interest on the vehicle. This should satisfy the DMV in your state. I also use their services and have generally been satisfied.

You could also file a complaint with the Texas Banking Commission. You will certainly get the attention of Bank of The West when the bank receives a letter and a request for response from the Texas government offices.

We tried the letter thing, and it's been promised to us 3 times now with no delivery. We are going to give it one last try and then take action. Thanks for the ideas, will keep the Texas banking commission on the list of possible actions.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
Old 07-25-2014, 05:53 PM   #5

I worked for a large financial institution and our office did business in 4 states. Each state handles title administration differently. Some fast title issuance--some slow.

We had one girl doing title followup and administration--making sure they were received and watching to make sure we were not buying retail paper on non-existing cars.

Now, finance companies sub-contract out title handling to outside companies. And they may do title administration for a dozen companies.

In your case, you can get the finance company/bank to send you a notarized lien release. You can attach that release to your application for a duplicate title, and the state will forward the title directly to you without any lien notation. Just be sure to put a cover letter with it asking them to process the title that way.

This is a very common occurrance.
Old 07-28-2014, 06:16 PM   #6

I too went with Bank of the West, they had the best rate. I bought the RV in Ohio but live in Pa. It took Bank of the West almost a month to get me an account number, only then did they send for the title in Ohio... To make a long story short my temporary tags expired before they got the title to my AAA office in order for me to get my Pennsylvania title and registration. I won't even begin to discuss their so called customer service! I stuck it out long enough to get the title then refinanced, cost a few dollars more but after dealing with Bank of the West, it's worth every penny!
I hope things work out for you and I feel your pain.
Old 07-28-2014, 07:28 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMSgt.retired View Post
I too went with Bank of the West, they had the best rate. I bought the RV in Ohio but live in Pa. It took Bank of the West almost a month to get me an account number, only then did they send for the title in Ohio... To make a long story short my temporary tags expired before they got the title to my AAA office in order for me to get my Pennsylvania title and registration. I won't even begin to discuss their so called customer service! I stuck it out long enough to get the title then refinanced, cost a few dollars more but after dealing with Bank of the West, it's worth every penny!
I hope things work out for you and I feel your pain.

Sorry for your situation, but good to hear I'm not the only one. At least you got it refinanced and no longer have to deal with them. This week will be the 4th time they have promised a release letter, so we will see what happens.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums