Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-31-2017, 12:14 PM   #1

Finger Lakes region Campground

I am new to your forum and new to Travel trailer camping. Next Saturday we pick up our first travel trailer. A 2017 Catalina 281DDS. We are coming from a 2004 Fleetwood Bayside Elite pop up.

We are looking at going to the finger lakes area July 9-15 and was wondering what campgrounds are like in that area. We have 2 kids and like to hike and stay outdoors. I know there is a lot of waterfalls to see in the area and my kids are exited about that. We would like a camp ground that is also kiddo wasy like some activities and fishing.

Thank you in advance. Happy camping.
Irishmcl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2017, 12:39 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishmcl View Post
I am new to your forum and new to Travel trailer camping. Next Saturday we pick up our first travel trailer. A 2017 Catalina 281DDS. We are coming from a 2004 Fleetwood Bayside Elite pop up.

We are looking at going to the finger lakes area July 9-15 and was wondering what campgrounds are like in that area. We have 2 kids and like to hike and stay outdoors. I know there is a lot of waterfalls to see in the area and my kids are exited about that. We would like a camp ground that is also kiddo wasy like some activities and fishing.

I hear people disappear in the finger lakes area.

lugoismad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2017, 01:14 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by lugoismad View Post
I hear people disappear in the finger lakes area.

I hope that doesn't happen. If so I may think about taking other people with me.
Old 03-31-2017, 01:36 PM   #4
Pickin', Campin', Mason

I'll assume you are referring to the NY area finger lakes.

We have stayed at the Watkins Glen KOA on several occasions and totally enjoyed our stay. We always choose to stay in the back (newer) section as the sites are HUGE and allow plenty of room for whatever.

Be sure to go to the WG State Park and check out the miles of beautiful waterfalls. There's tons of others as well. Taughannock Falls SP was beautiful too.

Also, while cars/racing may not be your thing... the drive your vehicle on the WG road course track was one of the best things I've done in a long time! Highly recommended.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	wgsp_001.jpg
Views:	124
Size:	268.9 KB
ID:	133410   Click image for larger version

Name:	wgsp_002.jpg
Views:	129
Size:	242.4 KB
ID:	133411   Click image for larger version

Name:	wgsp_003.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	361.8 KB
ID:	133412   Click image for larger version

Name:	tfsp_001.jpg
Views:	147
Size:	525.5 KB
ID:	133414   Click image for larger version

Name:	wgkoa.jpg
Views:	123
Size:	488.1 KB
ID:	133415  

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=90
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2017, 01:42 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5picker View Post
I'll assume you are referring to the NY area finger lakes.

We have stayed at the Watkins Glen KOA on several occasions and totally enjoyed our stay. We always choose to stay in the back (newer) section as the sites are HUGE and allow plenty of room for whatever.

Be sure to go to the WG State Park and check out the miles of beautiful waterfalls. There's tons of others as well. Taughannock Falls SP was beautiful too.

Also, while cars/racing may not be your thing... the drive your vehicle on the WG road course track was one of the best things I've done in a long time! Highly recommended.
Yes the NY area. Thank you for your time in letting me know and those pictures look amazing.
Old 03-31-2017, 02:08 PM   #6

There is a FROG rally at finger lakes on July 13-18th during wine festival. Watkins glen, then also a rally July 21-23 at Chenango Valley, State park, Chenango Valley, New York.

You can find more info under the frog event and rally thread under general discussions
2020 Ram 2500 Crew cab 6.5 bed

Ron & Shirley (Empty Nesters)
rmac04401 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2017, 03:57 PM   #7

You got to go to Letchworth State Park. Awesome camping hiking waterfalls gift shops restaurant Olympic swimming pool history playgrounds and the Grand canyon of the east
Old 04-01-2017, 12:21 PM   #8

Send a message via AIM to BGinVA
NY State Parks are rated as some of best in country. Many great choices in Finger Lakes region. Won't be disappointed. Check out their website: https://parks.ny.gov/ As mentioned, Watkins Glen SP is awesome and the town and lake offer great diversions with good dining and shopping within 5 minutes of the park. Letchworth is considered the top-rated NY State Park. Also check out Taughannock SP and Buttermilk SP. Lots of choices.
BGinVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2017, 12:53 PM   #9
ARLO

We like Watkins glen KOA. Great rating and friendly owners. Very close to wineries. The finger lakes she home to nearly140 wineries.
rlocicero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2017, 01:09 PM   #10
2014 Sunseeker 2650S

Watkins Glen KOA is one of the best camp sites we've been to. Be careful about camping at Letchworth State Park. We stayed there once in 2014 and each loop has water available only at the entrance to the loop so you end up waiting to enter the loop because the people ahead of you either fill up or top off their water tank. Additionally, for 270 sites, they only had 3 dump stations. Unless they upgraded it, camp some place else but make sure you visit that state park.
Joseph Carozzoni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2017, 01:36 PM   #11

WG campground

The town also has a campground that is within walking distance of the town and is opposite the town park. I think it is called Klute campground
fredc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2017, 03:02 PM   #12

My wife and I love Sampson State Park. Used to be an old military base. Lots of sites. Our first trip this summer is at the end of April. Can't wait.
Old 04-01-2017, 04:14 PM   #13

Robert Treman SP. Only 11 electric sites that go quick. If you can handle dry camping, this is a must do park. Hiking? Better than Watkins Glen
JP Camper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2017, 04:41 PM   #14

Watkins Glenn State Park is a great spot. You can get to the gorge trail from the campground and hike down through the gorge into town. Its a fairly easy hike with kids. And our kids love the huge pool. Another nice spot is Sampson State Park. Its a former navy training center with a great museum. And if you like to ride bikes this place is awesome. Great location about half way up Seneca Lake.

2022 Columbus 379MBC (Previous 2013 Rockwood Roo 23 IKSS)
2023 F-350 (Previous 2017 F250, 2005 F-150)
KMP44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2017, 04:45 PM   #15

Here's some links to some campgrounds in the Finger Lakes area of NY state. I've only camped at two: Ferenbaugh Campsites and Watkins Glen KOA. That was years ago so I can't personally give an up-to-date opinion of them, but during my stay I had no complaints. Anymore I do my camping during race weekends at the track, Watkins Glen International.

Ferenbaugh Campsites -just outside Corning, NY - about 15 minutes from Watkins Glen.NY

Watkins Glen KOA Campground - a few miles south of Watkins Glen, NY and just down the hill from the track, Watkins Glen International

Clute Park Campground - in Watkins Glen, NY

Watkins Glen State Park - just outside Watkins Glen, NY above the waterfalls and gorge.

Keuka Lake State Park - near Branchport, NY on beautiful Keuka Lake

Cayuga Lake State Park - near Seneca Falls, NY on Cayuga Lake

Sampson State Park - north of Watkins Glen, NY - south of Geneva, NY - has 2,000 acres, including over 5½ miles of Seneca Lake lakefront!

Long Point State Park - north of Ithaca, NY - south of Seneca Falls - on Cayuga Lake

Taughannock Falls State Park - near Ithaca, NY - on Cayuga Lake

Buttermilk Falls State Park - just south of Ithaca, NY

Camp Elmbois Family Camping - outside of Hammondsport, NY - small campground - never camp there, but heard good things about it - on hill above Keuka Lake.

Here's a link to info and reviews of many state and private campgrounds in the Southern Tier, Central and Finger Lakes areas of NY state: Finger Lakes Campgrounds

I'm sure I left out some campgrounds, but you'll find plenty of choices in the area.

Enjoy the beauty of the Finger Lakes area and your time there.
https://www.glenphotos.com
WatkinsGlenCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2017, 04:52 PM   #16

X2 ....what 5picker said!
kraftengr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2017, 08:23 PM   #17

Thank you everyone. I am sure we will decide on a great camp ground with all your input.
Old 04-05-2017, 08:13 AM   #18
Salem Cruise Lite Owner

Watkins Glen State Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by irishmcl View Post
i am new to your forum and new to travel trailer camping. Next saturday we pick up our first travel trailer. A 2017 catalina 281dds. We are coming from a 2004 fleetwood bayside elite pop up.

We are looking at going to the finger lakes area july 9-15 and was wondering what campgrounds are like in that area. We have 2 kids and like to hike and stay outdoors. I know there is a lot of waterfalls to see in the area and my kids are exited about that. We would like a camp ground that is also kiddo wasy like some activities and fishing.

right by the falls.
Bushbunch is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
mpg