Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-28-2014, 11:00 PM   #1

Fire alarm / smoke detector

We have had our unit for 3 years now and I just now found out that the fire alarm / smoke detector STILL had the protective plastic on the battery.
PLEASE check out yours ASAP!!!!! I hate to think of what might have happened without it working.
2011 Greywolf 26rl
nuisance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2014, 11:06 PM   #2

That tells me you don't cook (Bacon) inside or have camped beside (Smokie Campfire) neighbors! Youroo!!
youroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2014, 07:53 AM   #3
WFD

ours used to go off with just making toast......also tells me you didn't occasionally test your detector.....tsk tsk tsk!
Old 06-29-2014, 08:08 AM   #4
Site Team - Lou

I found mine after my first year of camping.

I had just de-winterized the camper and took it into the dealer for inspection.

When I got it back I was loading the camper and decided to "function check" my detectors. Glad I did because NOTHING worked; plastic on both batteries.

I was furious with my dealership because their 100 point 90 dollar inspection was supposed to include the detectors. There was a checkmark in "good."

Was the final straw...
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2014, 08:23 AM   #5

If you Cook in your RV, Remove the S/D that came in the unit and place it in the Bed room. Replace with a (Kitchen S/D) with a Hush button! Youroo!!
Old 06-29-2014, 11:46 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by WFD View Post
ours used to go off with just making toast......also tells me you didn't occasionally test your detector.....tsk tsk tsk!

I thought it was hard wired not battery. Now on I will test every safety device before heading out. Just more things to add to the "before camping" list. I might even replace it in the near future. I have seen better models at the home improvement stores.

Just wanted to warn new owners about what I found.....
2011 Greywolf 26rl
Old 06-29-2014, 11:49 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herk7769 View Post
I found mine after my first year of camping.

I had just de-winterized the camper and took it into the dealer for inspection.

When I got it back I was loading the camper and decided to "function check" my detectors. Glad I did because NOTHING worked; plastic on both batteries.

I was furious with my dealership because their 100 point 90 dollar inspection was supposed to include the detectors. There was a checkmark in "good."

Was the final straw...

Our PDI showed good on the detectors also. Now I am going to check the co2 one in the bedroom.
2011 Greywolf 26rl
Old 06-29-2014, 12:54 PM   #8

We are in our maiden rv camping trip and the smoke detector went off last night while my wife was cooking. No smoke that I could detect either. Now when we cook I place it in a cabinet then put it back when we are done eating.

Anyone have a recommendation on a replacement?

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
fr1rd831 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2014, 12:56 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by fr1rd831 View Post
We are in our maiden rv camping trip and the smoke detector went off last night while my wife was cooking. No smoke that I could detect either. Now when we cook I place it in a cabinet then put it back when we are done eating.

Read Post # (5)! Youroo!!
Old 06-29-2014, 01:48 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by fr1rd831 View Post

We just cover ours with a plastic shower cap when we cook and take it off when we are done. Elastic bowl covers should also work.

As far as replacements go we replaced ours with a Kidde PI9010 dual sensor as it detects more potential fire types than the one our TT came with. It also has a hush function that overrides the alarm for 15 minutes. While it is not RV certified I talked with Kidde and all of the operation ranges and environment requirements are the same as the basic detector they sell as RV certified. Although they didn't say this directly, I got the impression the reason they didn't have more RV certified models was just a cost issue as opposed to an operational/safety thing. The only fire safety improvement I have left to do is mount a carbon monoxide detector in the upper area over our bed. The one our trailer came with is in the LP gas detector which is too low to be of use.
keith_h is offline   Reply With Quote