Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-08-2015, 01:50 PM   #1

Fire at plug

WOW, our MH is currently parked next to the house and is plugged in to a 110 outlet. We only need the current to keep the battery charged. We use an adapter to connect the heavy duty cord to the 30 amp plug. Anyway, we moved the MY a couple of days ago to mow around it and somewhere along the line the plug adapter was not plugged in tightly to the cord as it moved or someone must have bumped into it to loosen it.

Today, I was taking a break from my computer work, and walking around the yard and started into the house, but decided to sit in the swing and chill a bit more. Good thing. I was looking down at the MH and saw a flame at the back...didn't know what it was but started running anyway. I could see that it was at the cord which was hanging on the ladder to keep it off the ground. Good thing... Anyway, I unplugged it from the house current and the flame went out almost immediately. The cord and plug were burned up. I realized that the cord wasn't plugged completely into the adapter and that is what must have triggered a spark. Don't know what would have happened if I hadn't needed a break from working..."God is looking after us".

I make a point to remember to check to see that plugs are totally plugged in. I remember from years ago, hearing of fires that were caused by sparks from not plugging in completely.

Just a reminder of how close things can come sometimes. All we will need to replace is the adapter and Heavy Duty extension cord, this time.

Bob, Diane & Snoopy
2018 3050s Sunseeker
Santabobswife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2015, 01:59 PM   #2
Site Team

Wow! Good thing you were there at the right time.

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
wmtire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2015, 02:00 PM   #3

You were luck you were close by
iceblaze580 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2015, 04:32 PM   #4

Might consider some electrical grease or "inhibitor" on the male end plugs before plugging in; will help make a better connection. Thankful your damage was minimal. You are absolutely right about being looked after.
Papa GLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2015, 04:53 PM   #5

By plugged into house 110 are you saying a Little outside outlet 20A? Also is there a On/Off switch at this outlet? Do you run the A/C in your MH from this outlet? I ask because you state HD EX cord! Youroo!!
youroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2015, 05:08 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by youroo View Post
By plugged into house 110 are you saying a Little outside outlet 20A? Also is there a On/Off switch at this outlet? Do you run the A/C in your MH from this outlet? I ask because you state HD EX cord! Youroo!!
Good question. I'm not very good with the 20A question. Is that the same as a 110 outlet? It is a standard 110 outlet just outside the basement door. No on/off switch, but there is a ground fault, which may have kicked in, if I hadn't unplugged it. We just always use heavy duty external plugs outside. We do not use the A/C in the MH from this outlet.

Bob, Diane & Snoopy
2018 3050s Sunseeker
Santabobswife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2015, 05:15 PM   #7

That is what I though you need a 30/50A Real RV plugin with a Real 30/50A Breaker just like a C/G! Your Fire Chief and Ins.Adjuster would find this FIRST THING if your House & RV were burned! Youroo!!
youroo is offline   Reply With Quote