Old 04-09-2016, 11:36 AM   #21
Originally Posted by ependydad View Post
ps... no comments on the hilarity of my struggles? It's ok to laugh- really.
None from me... I would look exactly like you. Those windows aren't big enough for my non-triathlon physique.

2016 Flagstaff 8529IKBS Diamond Package 5th Wheel
Ford F-Series SCREW 4x4
TST Tire Monitor - Sinemate 3500w Gen.
2016 Nights Camped = 44
5picker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2016, 11:47 AM   #22
Originally Posted by SS Cruiser View Post
I have no first hand experience with this, but the best recommendations I've read say that we should have a prop to keep the window open, pull the bed covers over the bottom edge of the window to protect from cuts and scratches and go out feet first and buns up.

Easier said than done, I'm sure.
While I wasn't worried about getting out of the window I didn't like the idea of trying to get over the frame. It never occurred to me to use the bed covers as a pad. Thanks.

2015 F150 Ecoboost
2014 Palomini 142 CK
keith_h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2016, 11:49 AM   #23
Left Coast
Send a message via Yahoo to bob caldwell
I carry 4 large ABC ones....2 by the door and 2 in the 'party room'......never know when traveling what you'll happen upon.. have been in need on a trip a few years ago up in Canada and lost a trapped buddy in a dually who couldn't make it out....something you'll never forget..
Bob/Linda, 99 Dodge 2500 Cummins,2010 8280 Rockwood Ultra-lite 5er, PullRite Superglide----- I'm retired......but work part time as a pain in the ass!........... USMC.
bob caldwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2016, 11:51 AM   #24
I own a motorhome. My fire exit seems much larger than yours. The wife and I can both get out of it. We put our pillows under us when sliding out. Makes it a little more comfortable, although a fire on my tail would introduce some additional motivation to get out. The main thing in my opinion is to have a plan and backup plan. Then practice them. Thanks for posting this. Always good to be reminded of safety issues.

HATCHET19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2016, 11:53 AM   #25
I was on a construction site fell through a ceiling from attic. Fell 15' landed on my feet. Broke my right heel. However taught me valuable lesson. Go out the window feet first not head on your stomach. Drop even if you hang on to window for a second. I'm not quite 5' but it brings my feet closer to ground and I'm not looking at how far I must drop. Broken leg better than head injury or death. Just a thought. Good to practice.
alicemerrill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2016, 11:56 AM   #26
Fire exit

Look into purchasing a Fire Escape ladder. First alert sells on that is 14' long, for around $35.00. It can be located below the escape window, and be ready for use in the event of an emergency
Miles39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2016, 11:57 AM   #27
Just an idea. Besides the extinguisher that came with our coach, I added another 10 "pounder" in the storage locker by the stairs, and another one in our bedroom closet. I wanted to make sure I have access to one, just in case....
2012 Georgetown 360DS Fire Mist
2007 PT Cruiser Auto-stick (4 wheel tow)
Remco Trans Pump /Super Springs Sumo Springs
Blue Ox Tow System / U.S. Gear Unified Tow Brake
Steelhorzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2016, 12:02 PM   #28
Originally Posted by HATCHET19 View Post
I own a motorhome. My fire exit seems much larger than yours. The wife and I can both get out of it.

That's the crazy thing, I think this was the biggest emergency exit window.
2013 Sabre 36QBOK pulled by a 2012 Ram 3500 DRW
Blogs: Learn to RV & Personal Fulltiming Adventure
Towing Calculators: Towing Planner
ependydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2016, 12:07 PM   #29
The extinguisher That came with my trailer is mounted just inside the door!!! Excellent planning!!!!! Not much good if you're in the bed room. I got a REAL extinguisher at HD and put it in the wardrobe in the bedroom. As far as the "escape" window goes I might make it with a a gallon of vasileen and a large crow bar. Regs say you have to have one but I guess size doesn't matter. At least for this.
Retired Fire Dept Battalion Chief
2016 Ever-Lite 232RBS
2012 F150 FX4 W/Max tow & Ecoboost

Getting old ain't for wimps!!!
Stormrider151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2016, 12:13 PM   #30
Usually Confused Member
There's been some discussion on the forum about the Halon fire extinguishers. They are not cheap at all ($200+) but I've seen them used many times and they are far and away superior to anything else available. I have three of them in my TT, including one I can reach without even getting out of bed.

Amerex C352TS, 2.5lb Halon 1211 Class B C Fire Extinguisher, with Aircraft Bracket: Industrial & Scientific

At some point during every day you suddenly realize nothing else productive is going to happen the rest of that day. For me, it usually occurs around 9 am.

Vengeance 25V (the Harley needed a home)
emm-dee is offline   Reply With Quote