Old 04-09-2016, 01:16 PM   #31
Mod free 5er

I mounted ABC fire extinguishers at the foot of our bed on both sides which will be used to allow us to get to the door where there is another extinguisher. Getting the emergency window open and the screen off will/would take longer than grabbing an extinguisher and going out the door.

Old 04-09-2016, 01:17 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by ependydad View Post
We were parked in a field tonight with no one around and were playing with the fire escape windows to get air into the camper. We have been talking for a while about emergency planning with the fire escapes and practicing exits and whatnot. So tonight, we played around with the idea and frankly, I'm very sad and very afraid.

#1- I could get my kids out *if* I'm standing outside and able to "catch" them.

#1a- we didn't test it but my wife could catch my 3 year old son, but no way would be able to catch my 12 year old daughter (not without getting hurt in the process; but I guess if it comes to that- being hurt or kid dying, the decision is easy).

#2- neither my wife or I could make it out. (yes, bold, underline, and caps.)

Maybe we'll be willing to plummet face first to the ground in the event of a real fire. BUT- in practice, neither of us could force ourselves to do it.

Now, for the videos. My apologies for fat guy stomach hanging out of the bottom of my shirt.

Daughter came out. But notice it took 20 seconds and that doesn't include the couple of stutter starts to figure out the best way.
https://youtu.be/5NG6GEiSdgo

Son popped right out, but this was the lowest window. Would he come out IF he had to free fall a bit before I caught him?
https://youtu.be/FqBkp41R36w

And now, my 3 failed attempts. I gave up fairly quick because that was an option. But still- the idea of falling face first down 6' wasn't comfortable.
https://youtu.be/f5sv1WDEzeQ

https://youtu.be/KlZ0QCNkr2A

https://youtu.be/gKmmaVSSK2o
Fire is a great motivator, just don't let the biggest person go first and get stuck in the window!

Old 04-09-2016, 01:32 PM   #33
Mod free 5er

Also, as thin and flimsy as the sides of these campers are, it wouldn't take long to just kick a hole in the side of one to get out of.
Old 04-09-2016, 01:39 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by ependydad View Post
That's the crazy thing, I think this was the biggest emergency exit window.
I guess I always assumed they were all about the same size. That's what I get for assuming. I only have one emergency escape window in the bedroom, but it's about twice the size of the one in your video. Neither of us could get out of any other window, even if we could get it open in time.

hatchet
Old 04-09-2016, 01:52 PM   #35

Well I already know I am a goner if my husband is not there. I cannot open the fire escape window that is located on my side of the bed. We like to open it sometimes at night to catch a breeze. I have arthritis in my hands and cannot open the darn lever. Plus the window seems to seal it self shut. Last time my husband thought it was going to break the window because he was pushing on so hard.
2015 23BD Grey Wolf, 2012 Chevy Silverado 1500
2015 - 7 nights, 2 trips, 2016 - 2 trip, 24 nights
Life is short
mdstudey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2016, 02:06 PM   #36
Left Coast

Send a message via Yahoo to bob caldwell
Put a hammer in the nightstand.....and a very thin coat of vasoline on the rubber seal..or, 303 protectant....
Old 04-09-2016, 02:06 PM   #37
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdstudey View Post
Well I already know I am a goner if my husband is not there. I cannot open the fire escape window that is located on my side of the bed. We like to open it sometimes at night to catch a breeze. I have arthritis in my hands and cannot open the darn lever. Plus the window seems to seal it self shut. Last time my husband thought it was going to break the window because he was pushing on so hard.
Have him wipe the seal with some silicone grease like Danco or spray it with a light coat of lithium white grease. Talcum powder would also work.
Old 04-09-2016, 02:09 PM   #38

As a thought with all you fifth wheelers with kids, coluld a escape ladder that the box stores sells which is basically two chains with rungs be modified too attach to inside of rv and dropped out window? I bought one at HD for both of my kids who live in two story houses. Grands actually thought the test run was neat, especially going down the outside of the house on a chain ladder. They keep these by a window that is furthest from the stairway. The other thing to consider would be a window enlarging axe, bet the fire would encourage removal of some rv kindling!
Days camped in FR, 2011 = 20, 2012 = 57, 2013 = 59
... 2014 = 39, 2015 = 52, 2016 = 77, 2017 = 81
Retired :
satdog01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2016, 02:14 PM   #39

I think we could get out the window but it's a far ways to the ground from my bedroom window. I was thinking about getting a boat ladder that way the ladder will hook inside the window and you can climb down.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
spock123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2016, 02:29 PM   #40

Wowzers!

Speaking from ZERO experience here.............

but, if my butt is on fire, my head is going out some hole FAST. If I break my neck when I hit the ground, at least I won't have a burned corpse for the funeral!

And I've seen Epenydad's pic in a pool. If he can't make it, I'm a S'More during a fire.

I never thought of this..........till now. Geez. One more thing to cause my eyes to stay WIDE open all night while camping! Wow.

FROG AR-0019-242
2016 GMC Denali 3500Dually--2017 CC 36CKTS
BandJCarm is offline   Reply With Quote