Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-09-2016, 02:17 PM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by BandJCarm View Post
Geez. One more thing to cause my eyes to stay WIDE open all night while camping! Wow.
Your not alone! We were discussing this today, I'm so paranoid about us getting out mainly what happens if our 4 year old somehow was locked in by herself. God willing we won't have to worry about it but I read a story about a mother who got locked out of hers and 2 of the 3 kids couldn't open the windows to get out.

2008 Dodge Durango retired
2015 Salem cruise lite 195bh retired
2021 Cherokee Grey Wolf 26dbh
daybreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2016, 02:20 PM   #42

Good to know the kids can definitely get out. I wouldn't worry about somebody being on the ground to catch them unless they are less than 5 or 6 years of age. Have you ever seen what kids do on playground equipment or jumping out of a tree?
Old 04-09-2016, 02:32 PM   #43

Class c has one by door. I put another in bedroom. Also when setting up camp I use a y fitting for water hose 1 to camper and 1 to reach around my camp fire and camper.
retired on a mountain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2016, 03:19 PM   #44

The fire escape window on my TT comes completely out so you don't have it hitting you in the head as you exit, BUT, there is no way I can bend my old body to get out that small opening. That is why I insisted on 2 doors, one in the bedroom and one in the living area. I didn't want to get trapped in the thing, besides like some else mentioned, the fire extinguisher is next to the door, since you made it that far why not open the door and get out unless you want to save the RV but that can be replaced, I of course can not be replaced. I plan to be cremated but want it done by a professional.
Camped 2016-71, 2017-33, 2018-29 booked
KT4W
BooBoo23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2016, 06:05 PM   #45

Fire Safety 5r

Several years ago my wife bought me a 4"x4"x7 ft. folding step ladder. Obviously I don't leave it set up at my bed escape window, but I do leave it behind the front level legs. The ladder opens easy, in a hurry you don't have to make the step ladder. Another option is the telescoping ladder, I don't know how fast it can be extended. I have a decent size hammer to break glass and frames to get out also.
Old 04-10-2016, 12:12 AM   #46

I had a good laugh at the videos, especially the one with your daughter laughing at you but did notice that none of you exited the RV properly. Your daughter can easily exit by herself without injury while your son should be able to get out by himself with minor bruises if you are parked on a concrete pad.

The proper emergency exit technique requires the following steps:
1. Prop the window open with a stick you keep at the window.
2. Throw the "go bag" out the window.
3. drape a pillow or better, the bed covers over the window frame.
4. Exit the window feet first, belly down. Hold on to the window frame, stretch out then drop.
5. If your physical agility and body shape makes it difficult for you to get over the edge of the frame, pull the corner of the matress over the frame and use it as a ramp to get yourself out.
6. The last person out pulls the bed covers out. You'll need them to wrap around yourself to keep warm.

What's in the Go bag?
1. A change of clothing for each person
2. 1 week's medications for each person
3. Some cash
4. A credit card
5. Rarely needed identification - ie passports.

When I am in bed, my next day's clothing is kept at the foot of the bed, under the escape window. That will go out with the go bag which will give me my keys and wallet.

Phil
pmsherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2016, 09:03 AM   #47
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmsherman View Post
4. Exit the window feet first, belly down. Hold on to the window frame, stretch out then drop.

I've learned this since making these videos. It's truly problematic depending on the emergency exit used.

In this case, we used an exit window in the living room. Truth be told, this is the least likely to be used as I have 2 other exits. BUT- all of the videos who show/say to go feet first seem to be situated such that they have something substantial and right about the same height as the window. In our case, there was a couch with a squishy top and no real way to start the feet first process.

My bedroom has the same issue. There is a dresser (which I've converted to a desk, though I kept the emergency window intact). I think I might be able to sit on this and get out. But even then- it needs practiced. I'm doing that next week T a buddy's house.

For the kids room. The first task is figuring out s way to help/teach my daughter to do the window alone. The red tab is difficult to pop-up before she can even open the window. Right now, my bet is she can't. From there, she does have the bed sheet and bed at window height. I think that'll work for her. But again, we will find out this coming week. My son, he's a dare devil. I'm pretty sure he'll make the jump without issue, but we are going to test it.

My wife is my next biggest concern. Getting her to even try is going to be a challenge. Getting her to do it without injury is going to be even a bigger- I would hate for her to practice and end up hurting herself for a couple of months. (She's still in pain from a fall over a month ago.)
Old 04-10-2016, 09:26 AM   #48

The fire escape is intended for one to dive. Head first. It will hurt but roll when you hit the ground. Don't practice. For those who want a quick way out get a rechargeable sawsall. For example the DEWALT Bare-Tool DC385B 18-Volt Cordless Reciprocating Saw search on amazon. The saw will cut through even a steel trailer like butter with the multi use blade installed and stow away in storage beside the bed. Open the fire exit and cut your self a door from the window down. Practice makes perfect. Use the saw to cut fire wood up until you get good at using the saw.
Simplewon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2016, 09:30 AM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCoot View Post
I mounted ABC fire extinguishers at the foot of our bed on both sides which will be used to allow us to get to the door where there is another extinguisher. Getting the emergency window open and the screen off will/would take longer than grabbing an extinguisher and going out the door.
Exactly. The Fire extinguisher is to make a path to exit safely, then and only then an I concerned with saving the camper.

i know i have a small camper, but its 2-3 more steps to the door. It will take me more time to mess with the emergency exit than to exit the door. The first thing i did like Old coot was mount extinguishers on both sides of the bed.

Thank you for the excellent reminder on this topic
Old 04-10-2016, 09:39 AM   #50

If there's a fire licking at my butt, I'm pretty sure I'm diving out that window head first without any hesitation. That final step is not something I would practice though.
bobm253 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2016, 09:41 AM   #51
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simplewon View Post
Don't practice.

I know fire is a hell of a motivator, but after my half-assed attempts, I'm even more convinced that it needs practiced.
Old 04-10-2016, 09:45 AM   #52
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCoot View Post
I mounted ABC fire extinguishers at the foot of our bed on both sides which will be used to allow us to get to the door where there is another extinguisher. Getting the emergency window open and the screen off will/would take longer than grabbing an extinguisher and going out the door.

That's a good point. Though, I want to be versed in both methods. I don't know what an emergency will look like and don't know if my plan to fight a way to the door is realistic. Plus, having kids at the other end of 40'- I want to make sure we all know ways (plural) to get out.

I am ordering a set of 5 fire extinguishers- for the truck, bedrooms, and living room. And I'm really hopeful that my hometown fire station will help us out with teaching us how to use them (bonus points if they give us hands-on practice with them). I also have been sent links to online courses for fire extinguishers.

I don't know why, but this experience really shook me up.
Old 04-10-2016, 07:05 PM   #53

I just retired from the fire service in the prevention bureau. In 34 years I've seen many innovation in suppression devices. I personally like the Halon type of extinguishers but they are expensive to purchase and refill. The best thing in my opinion would be a factory installed 13 D residential sprinkler system with spray nozzles. This type system utilizes the water supply from a campground or the onboard tank and flows through the sprinkler piping before entering the service piping for sinks, shower, toilets, etc. By doing this no water becomes stale and no annual service would be required. NOTE - THESE SYSTEMS ARE FOR ESCAPE PURPOSES AND NOT PROPERTY PRESERVATION! Although if they activated quickly enough they could hold fire at bay until FD could arrive. These systems could be engineered at the factory and installed during construction with 2 -4 heads possibly enough to do the job. I don't think it would be cost prohibitive and the peace of mind would make it worth it. Everyone is correct about how quickly these things can burn. My advice is to stay low and get out. Bad air is high, good air is on the floor. Call 911 and only attempt to extinguishers the fire if it is small AND you are comfortable using an extinguisher. Check your smoke alarms monthly and if you have gas furnace or stove then a CO detector is a must also. Sorry for the long post but placing folks in body bags over the years makes me want to do what I can to keep friends and family (my camping family) as safe as possible. Thanks.
dkelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2016, 11:11 AM   #54

Very Sobering

This is the first time, I've seen this addressed on the forum. Thank you! After a seminar we went to, we purchased a fire extinguisher for our bedroom- not to put the fire out but to give us a few extra seconds to exit. It was also suggested that a phone be kept in the bedroom at night- grab & go... For those of you with other family members, practice, practice, practice.
My dealer in the walk thru told me not to take the emergency window out as it was too hard to put back in. Criminal?
davidgle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2016, 11:14 AM   #55
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidgle View Post
My dealer in the walk thru told me not to take the emergency window out as it was too hard to put back in. Criminal?

No, but likely foolish. What started all of our adventures was the idea that we simply didn't know what one of our windows would do when we opened it- would it fall? was it hinged? Or even, how difficult is it to open?

I stood on the outside, not sure if I was catching or just watching.

And then my wife wondered, how in the world do you get out of it?
Old 04-15-2016, 12:26 PM   #56

Doug - kudos for bringing up this subject. Like several people said, the best way out is feet first but in an emergency you may have to go out head first. Practice rolling out of a landing. I'm a gymnastic instructor so this comes easy to me but it can be easily practiced on the beach or on a soft lawn. Learning to roll when landing can prevent/lessen many injuries. Make a game out of it with your kids and they should be able to quicly learn how to roll out. Cincia

Chevy Express 3500 van
Palomino Solaire 251RBSS
Wherever you go, go with all your heart.
cincia is offline   Reply With Quote