Old 04-09-2016, 12:24 AM   #1
Fulltime family RVer

Fire exit (aka, leaving the RV "Dukes of Hazzard"-style

We were parked in a field tonight with no one around and were playing with the fire escape windows to get air into the camper. We have been talking for a while about emergency planning with the fire escapes and practicing exits and whatnot. So tonight, we played around with the idea and frankly, I'm very sad and very afraid.

#1- I could get my kids out *if* I'm standing outside and able to "catch" them.

#1a- we didn't test it but my wife could catch my 3 year old son, but no way would be able to catch my 12 year old daughter (not without getting hurt in the process; but I guess if it comes to that- being hurt or kid dying, the decision is easy).

#2- neither my wife or I could make it out. (yes, bold, underline, and caps.)

Maybe we'll be willing to plummet face first to the ground in the event of a real fire. BUT- in practice, neither of us could force ourselves to do it.

Now, for the videos. My apologies for fat guy stomach hanging out of the bottom of my shirt.

Daughter came out. But notice it took 20 seconds and that doesn't include the couple of stutter starts to figure out the best way.
https://youtu.be/5NG6GEiSdgo

Son popped right out, but this was the lowest window. Would he come out IF he had to free fall a bit before I caught him?
https://youtu.be/FqBkp41R36w

And now, my 3 failed attempts. I gave up fairly quick because that was an option. But still- the idea of falling face first down 6' wasn't comfortable.
https://youtu.be/f5sv1WDEzeQ

https://youtu.be/KlZ0QCNkr2A

https://youtu.be/gKmmaVSSK2o

Old 04-09-2016, 12:57 AM   #2
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Doug you just made my day.
A for effort regardless!
I wonder if I can convince ms Amy to try this.

2008 2500hd Duramax
2015 Columbus 320RS
2016 nights camped "0"
2015 nights camped "34"

Old 04-09-2016, 01:01 AM   #3
Fulltime family RVer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TURBS View Post
Doug you just made my day.
A for effort regardless!
I wonder if I can convince ms Amy to try this.

You'll notice that the Misses isn't in these videos. I have a picture of her 1/2-in and 1/2-out of the window but I've been instructed that it not be posted!
Old 04-09-2016, 01:06 AM   #4
Fulltime family RVer

It does give me a marked reason for getting proper fire extinguishers, training on their use, and properly placing them around the rig. Including trainings for my wife and older kid. As well as my mother-in-law who watches the kids overnight in the camper for us from time to time.
Old 04-09-2016, 06:22 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by ependydad View Post
It does give me a marked reason for getting proper fire extinguishers, training on their use, and properly placing them around the rig. Including trainings for my wife and older kid. As well as my mother-in-law who watches the kids overnight in the camper for us from time to time.
Doug PM Youroo, He took the fire seminar at Goshen last year, He said that they had a special extinguisher that he thought was a must and safest for a fire in an RV. He even talked me into buying one he might be able to point you in the right direction. You are right it's a long drop from the escape window in a 5er. I hope you never really have to use it, but it's great to have a plan that everyone knows especially with children...
Rockwood #8289 WS 2012
F250 6.0 / Husky 16k
With 4 point leveling system
Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2016, 06:55 AM   #6

If there is a real fire at the worst imaginable time... at night in the dark and 1/2 asleep, there's usually not enough time to compile thoughts, grab fire extinguishers, try to find the source AND account for all involved. An RV fire moves quickly and mercilessly. There's a LOT of toxic combustibles in our trailers and time is of the essence. They fill with smoke quickly. During the day when cooking indoors and something catches, you'd prolly have time to extinguish a fire. At night God forbid, you'll barely have time for a head count so toss them out an exit....any exit as fast as possible. Whatever action is necessary, make sure the family is out safe. Falling 6" or 6 feet won't matter when seconds count. My kudos to you Doug for making the effort to familiarize yourself and family on fire evacuation. Most of us won't take the time nor want to think about that possibility. There are video's on the internet of burning RV's....it is scary.
Here's a great link..
http://fifthwheelst.com/34_rv_fire_f...your_life.html
1986 Marriage to "Wifey" (patience of a saint)
rattleNsmoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2016, 07:27 AM   #7

That's why I bought one with two doors. Saw some with only one door and did not consider them for emergency exit reasons. Also you could probably do better in an emergency situation. Fire would be a great motivator. It is a long drop to the ground. Have thought about using the window exit but plan on using a door myself.
Old 04-09-2016, 07:40 AM   #8

Now that you brought this subject up, VERY GOOD by the way, we all should really look into what we would do in this situation, I for one am going to see if that seminar is offered again at Goshen and sit in this year. Thanks again Doug for bringing it to our attention.
Old 04-09-2016, 08:01 AM   #9
Pickin' & Campin'

Doug,
Thank you for bringing this subject to our attention.
It is a situation we hope never happens but we must plan for it should something bad turns even worse.
Kudos to you for thinking ahead.
TST Tire Monitor w/Repeater - Sinemate 3500w Gen.
Days Camped: '15=22 '16=46 '17=30
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2016, 08:02 AM   #10

Personally I don't think using the emergency window exits as a fire escape is a good idea unless you could not get to a door as a last resort. They are better suited for use if a storm blew the trailer onto its side or something was blocking the egress door. But what do I know........

Doug great idea practicing getting out most don't even think about it.

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
2017 Wildwood Lodge 4092 BFL
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Sadie & Lillie Spoiled Rotten Boxers
Oaklevel is offline   Reply With Quote