Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-20-2007, 11:44 AM   #1

Firearms

I'm looking at purchasing a new handgun for CC and a rimfire for my oldest daughter.

Any thoughts on these?

http://www.ruger-firearms.com/Firear...uger&x=27&y=13

http://www.winchesterguns.com/prodin...d=100&cat=018C

budget is a concern, I'd like to keep total cost below $1k
aintgotnun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2007, 11:57 AM   #2
RAC

CC= Concealed carry?

not a ruger fan greg. I like smith, have a 645 myself, but for CC I I would go with a glock 40 for weight, although the "Officers" version of the 1911 A-1 is a nice piece for conceled carry and has the stopping power of a .45.

My first was a .22 Ithaca lever action. My brothers had remington single shot bolt actions.
I also have a winchester .22 You can't go wrong with a .22
RAC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2007, 01:27 PM   #3

Yep. Concealed carry. I currently carry a Browning HP MKIII 40. I carry condition 1 when I’m by myself, with the family along I carry condition 2. I'm looking for something smaller that the wife would be able to carry and feel comfortable with. A put in purse and go gun. With the trigger safety on the Glocks that leaves them out. I’d prefer a double action with an exposed hammer and a thumb safety. Flip the safety and fire. It would require more pressure for the 1st round off making it “safer” in a purse. So far the Ruger and a S&W fit those criteria. The S&W only comes in .40 and I want a 9mil or .380. That defaults so far to the Ruger 9mil. I have fired in the past several Ruger revolvers and liked them and have also fired a Ruger .45 but it’s been so long ago that I have forgotten if I liked the auto or not. As far as “stopping power” is concerned. A well placed shot is all the stopping power you need. A double-tap to the groin is going to knock down anybody no matter what caliber you’re firing.

As for the .22. I’m really leaning towards that Winchester. I’ve been practicing gun safety with my girls now for a few years with air rifles and since my oldest is turning 9 I think it’s time for her “own” firearm.
Old 09-20-2007, 02:02 PM   #4
RAC

you didn't mention the wife Greg. I would recommend the 4906 (don't quote me on the model number), but this is Smith's "Short" version of the 9 mil, hammer block safety and double action 1st shot.
Old 09-20-2007, 02:16 PM   #5

http://www.smith-wesson.com/webapp/w...12&isFirearm=Y

or

http://www.smith-wesson.com/webapp/w...13&isFirearm=Y

couple of Smiths I was looking at as well
Old 09-20-2007, 02:43 PM   #6
RAC

don't know how big her hands are, but the 990 has nice ergonomics. Although, you might get the same "feel" with the 408 and a pachmyre grip.
Old 09-20-2007, 02:55 PM   #7

She has pretty small hands. I've just started shopping online, I haven't been to a gun shop yet. This weekend will be spent going to some different stores. I plan on taking her along so she can get a feel for the different weapons. Short, small, light, and feel safe that it won't go off without her wanting it to. Otherwise she won't carry it and then what's the point?
Old 09-20-2007, 03:14 PM   #8

Send a message via Yahoo to Krudedawg
I really like my Taurus Millineum Pro 9mm. It is compact for a 9mm and very comfortable in the hand. I bought it for around $300. I also carry a Kel-Tec P38T. It is the smallest and lightest 380 made. I will say that im not extremely happy with it but, for what it is, its ok. It just drops in the pocket and can barely even tell it is there.
Krudedawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2007, 03:36 PM   #9

Send a message via MSN to welshman599
Remind me not to tick you guys off at a campground.

83 sweet sweet days camped in 2008 - not easy in my neck of the woods!
welshman599 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2007, 03:43 PM   #10
RAC

The 380 is an Idea Greg...necked down 9mm is really all it is. Hits like a .38, does all kinds of nasty bouncing around inside.
Old 09-21-2007, 06:48 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetiredArmyCWO View Post
The 380 is an Idea Greg...necked down 9mm is really all it is. Hits like a .38, does all kinds of nasty bouncing around inside.
Yes it is. That's kind of what I'd really like to get the wife but I'm torn between that and the 9. Weight will be an issue as it will be mostly a "purse gun". We are planning on hitting several gun shops tomorrow. The Bass Pro Shop has an indoor range so maybe I can get to test fire a few to get a good feel before I buy.
Old 09-21-2007, 07:55 AM   #12
RAC

I would definitely look at the 380 for mama san.
Old 09-22-2007, 02:11 AM   #13

Greg,

You must have a really level headed 9 year old.
Texan children must be totally different than northeren kids.
I would NEVER in my right mind give my 11 year old a firearm.
(She might use it on me!)

Nina

P.S. Like Welshmen said I think we need to lighten up this
conservation a little bit.
Hitched up to a White 1999 F-150 Ext. Cab
Number of days camped in 2014-2
(4 more days reserved)
NINA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2007, 09:03 AM   #14
RAC

I thin you're a fairly normal guy Greg, myself. I started hunting at 8, dad at probably the same age, his dad ditto. Our oldest got her 1st gun at 10. All have been hunting and to safety courses. I got my 1st gun around 9. Stll have my original Hunter's Safety and license from 1975. I imagine it's more of how you are raised and how you are taught to respect guns rather than fear them, than where you hail from or whether or not you're a girl or boy.
Old 09-22-2007, 01:20 PM   #15
AKA Bluebird

Send a message via Yahoo to dimurrrw
On the subject of lightweight CC, and as a supplement to the previous posts, - North American Arms makes some nice little "dissuaders." Unless, of course, you feel the need to carry around a cannon all of the time.

Personally, I am rather fond of the .22 Magnum Black Widow with rat shot in the first cylinder. Don't misunderstand, I surely would not want one of these as a home protection gun. However, they have a lot of merit as a "drop it in your shorts pocket and go" closeup personal protection weapons.

http://www.naaminis.com/index.html

dimurrrw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2007, 06:30 PM   #16

Send a message via MSN to welshman599
Got dad's old ss 22 when I was 8, Got good at it and was death to every porcupine and rabbit in the forests. Also found it great fun to blow out the car windshields, side glass & mirrors a junkyard in back of our property. Grew up and found it hard to find replacement glass for my 57 Chevy project. Hmmm.

83 sweet sweet days camped in 2008 - not easy in my neck of the woods!
welshman599 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2007, 10:06 PM   #17

+1 on the NAA. Also consider the Bersa .380. Very light, reliable and ergonomically correct for smaller hands.

You also spoke about CC in condition 1 and 2. How does the Mrs. plan on carrying. Without having to worry about taking off the safety or putting a round into the chamber during a goblin encounter, I highly recommend a double action revolver like a Ladysmith in .38 or their other Airweight models (J-frames). Revolvers are the first point and click interface, not Windows and the mouse.

Nina, Welshman, an armed society is a polite society. A person who legally has the right and has went through the procedure to obtain the proper license to carry, you will find is probably the most friendly and law abiding citizen you will meet.

This is not a great subject in most peoples eyes, but personal protection while stationed in the woods should be considered. From rabid animals to rabid others. Whatever is chosen for the Mrs., make sure she is comfortable with it and knowledgable of it.

And always remember the basic 4 rules of safety.
1-All guns are always loaded (until you establish whether they are or not).
2-Never let the muzzle cover anything you are not willing to destroy. Keep your gun pointed in a safe direction at all times: on the range, at home, loading, or unloading.
3-Keep your finger off the trigger until your sights are on the target (and you are ready to shoot).
4-Be sure of your target. Know what it is, what is in line with it and what is behind it. Never shoot at anything that you haven't positively identified.

Not trying hijack the original context of this thread, just throwing it out there.

Kilowattkid
Old 09-23-2007, 10:08 PM   #18

Talking

Sawed off AK-47.. light weight, kinda compact, definate reliable weapon.
plenty of rounds if they miss the first time.....
2005 Kawasaki 700 4x4 ATV
2002 Kawasaki 300 4x4 ATV
2008 Chinese 110CC kids atv

4 Great Kids......
and a wonderful wife of 12 yrs now.....
Could not ask for more
Young Travelers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2007, 07:16 AM   #19
RAC

Quote:
Originally Posted by kilowattkid View Post
+1 on the NAA. Also consider the Bersa .380. Very light, reliable and ergonomically correct for smaller hands.

You also spoke about CC in condition 1 and 2. How does the Mrs. plan on carrying. Without having to worry about taking off the safety or putting a round into the chamber during a goblin encounter, I highly recommend a double action revolver like a Ladysmith in .38 or their other Airweight models (J-frames). Revolvers are the first point and click interface, not Windows and the mouse.

Nina, Welshman, an armed society is a polite society. A person who legally has the right and has went through the procedure to obtain the proper license to carry, you will find is probably the most friendly and law abiding citizen you will meet.

This is not a great subject in most peoples eyes, but personal protection while stationed in the woods should be considered. From rabid animals to rabid others. Whatever is chosen for the Mrs., make sure she is comfortable with it and knowledgable of it.

And always remember the basic 4 rules of safety.
1-All guns are always loaded (until you establish whether they are or not).
2-Never let the muzzle cover anything you are not willing to destroy. Keep your gun pointed in a safe direction at all times: on the range, at home, loading, or unloading.
3-Keep your finger off the trigger until your sights are on the target (and you are ready to shoot).
4-Be sure of your target. Know what it is, what is in line with it and what is behind it. Never shoot at anything that you haven't positively identified.

Not trying hijack the original context of this thread, just throwing it out there.

Kilowattkid
EXCELLENT POST!
Old 09-24-2007, 07:34 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by NINA View Post
Greg,

You must have a really level headed 9 year old.
Texan children must be totally different than northeren kids.
I would NEVER in my right mind give my 11 year old a firearm.
(She might use it on me!)

Nina
I grew up around guns. My daughters are growing up around guns. From the day they were able to understand what a gun (weapon) was we (my wife and I) began to discuss them with them. First it was “don’t touch because it could hurt someone”, and they never did. Next it was to the store to purchase an air-rifle for training. Both of my daughters have been firing the air-rifles now for several years, this is where there gun safety has begun. We treat the air-rifles as a deadly weapon just as a “real” firearm is. An air-rifle can kill in the “prefect” circumstances and it can definitely sting in most, or it could “shoot your eye out” (shamelessly stolen from “A Christmas Story”). They have not been to any formal training as of yet but they will in about a year or so. Right now it has been the training of a loving father who will not let his little girls get hurt or allow them to hurt anyone or anything else. I am very strict with my ladies regarding any weapon. They know the rules regarding any weapon and they are very respectful. They are not to touch one unless I say it’s OK, and they don’t. They have had the barrel of the air-rifles slapped down on only a couple of occasions when the muzzle has started to wander. They know what the various weapons look like from rifles to shotguns to revolvers to semi-auto pistols to assault rifles. They will not show there friends our weapons and they will not let a friend show them their parents weapons. Their “personal” weapons will not reside in their rooms. They will be located with the other weapons in the house locked up tight and away from accessible ammo save my 2 defense weapons (which are locked and cocked).

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetiredArmyCWO View Post
I imagine it's more of how you are raised and how you are taught to respect guns rather than fear them, than where you hail from or whether or not you're a girl or boy.
Like Steve wrote, we’re fairly normal. Just how I was raised and how my ladies will be raised to respect, rather than fear firearms.

Quote:

I looked at a Bersa .380 this weekend and I liked it. Didn’t see any NAAs. I looked at some revolvers as well but the places I went really didn’t have a nice selection of revolvers.
I carry a single action so it’s condition 1 by myself and condition 2 with the family in certain conditions. I’m comfortable enough with either condition carry with pulling the hammer back or dropping the safety. The boss lady will have a double action whether a revolver or semi-auto. And it needs more than just the trigger safety like a Glock or the Smith M&Ps. There are a few more places that I want to go looking at and a couple have indoor ranges and rentals so we can try before we buy. She will be going to these places with me.

Quote:

This is not a great subject in most peoples eyes, but personal protection while stationed in the woods should be considered. From rabid animals to rabid others. Whatever is chosen for the Mrs., make sure she is comfortable with it and knowledgeable of it.
I don’t think either Nina or Welshman expressed any objections. Welshman even stated fond memories of his childhood .22. I believe Nina is just concerned with the age at which I plan on buying my daughter her first “real” gun. She states that she would never give her 11 year old a gun. That’s her choice. That’s what makes this country great. Choice. I feel my daughter is ready for a .22 and that’s my choice (and my wife’s as well). Shooting is a sport. Whether at the range or hunting. It is also another way of bonding with my daughters. Sure we do other stuff. Camping, bike riding, astronomy……. This is just one more way of bonding with and doing something cool with my daughters. While I was raised around guns, my father was not the best father in the world. A lot of my gun safety I learned from my Opa and on my own, a bit from my father but not much. My girls will learn from me. They will learn and are learning the correct way to handle and respect firearms.

The thread got a bit hijacked but no worries. I know guns and gun control are hot subjects. This isn’t a thread for debate. It was a thread about asking peoples opinions on what they would consider for their wife to carry as I am looking for a CC gun for my wife. Nothing more nothing less.

Kilowattkid,

Good basic rules and my ladies already know them. #1 being MOST important.

Oh and on the .22, I found a sweet Marlin bolt action with the tubular magazine that fires both shorts and longs. Haven’t bought it. Yet.

greg